BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Never mind, it looks like OTA updates may not actually be available with SYNC 3 but only with SYNC 4. See links below. SYNC 4 allows for OTA. SYNC 3 makes no mention of OTA and only specifically includes USB or WiFi as ways to update.

SYNC 4 software updates

SYNC 3 software updates (scroll about halfway down)

Since you can, according to Ford, update via WiFi with SYNC 3, that brings me back one of the original issues posted about in this thread: why does my rear lift gate no longer unlock while in close proximity to the fob? I couldn't have possibly received an update that would eliminate this feature.
Sponsored

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
Never mind, it looks like OTA updates may not actually be available with SYNC 3 but only with SYNC 4. See links below. SYNC 4 allows for OTA. SYNC 3 makes no mention of OTA and only specifically includes USB or WiFi as ways to update.

SYNC 4 software updates

SYNC 3 software updates (scroll about halfway down)

Since you can, according to Ford, update via WiFi with SYNC 3, that brings me back one of the original issues posted about in this thread: why does my rear lift gate no longer unlock while in close proximity to the fob? I couldn't have possibly received an update that would eliminate this feature.
It seems a crazy coincidence more than one had the sudden change. It started last week for me. I didn't create a post about because I thought I was crazy.

I'm a dog trainer so I use the liftgate 10+ times a day.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
It seems a crazy coincidence more than one had the sudden change. It started last week for me. I didn't create a post about because I thought I was crazy.

I'm a dog trainer so I use the liftgate 10+ times a day.
I just went out and tried it again. Double-clicked the lock button on the fob and heard the "honk". Put the fob in my pocket and manually pressed the lift gate button underneath the handle - and it worked. It opened like it used to. So weird...

Maybe it only prevents unlocking the lift gate with fob proximity if you press the lock button on the front door instead of actually locking it remotely with the fob?

Chase65

First Edition
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BSFE, '12 F150 FX4, '94 Explorer, '93 YJ
I just went out and tried it again. Double-clicked the lock button on the fob and heard the "honk". Put the fob in my pocket and manually pressed the lift gate button underneath the handle - and it worked. It opened like it used to. So weird...

Maybe it only prevents unlocking the lift gate with fob proximity if you press the lock button on the front door instead of actually locking it remotely with the fob?
I just went and tried. Locked with fob and no luck. Still doesn’t open. I was able to open the glass though so I can confirm that works.

I would much rather have the lift gate open vs the glass.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
I just went and tried. Locked with fob and no luck. Still doesn’t open. I was able to open the glass though so I can confirm that works.

I would much rather have the lift gate open vs the glass.
That is a point I forgot to make earlier. The glass works the same as always. The gate itself changed.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I just went and tried. Locked with fob and no luck. Still doesn’t open.
Ah, that's frustrating. Sorry about that. Not sure why but maybe it's some glitch in the sensor that detects the fob at the lift gate.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Yup, this happens to my BS BB too. When the doors are all locked and I press the rear lift gate button, the rear amber lights flash but doesn’t unlock the rear lift gate...though I can’t recall if it’s always done that or just recently.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Don't know if this is related but today I closed the drivers door of the wifes 2020 Escape softly and it didn't fully close. At that point I could not open the door or lock or unlock it by touching the outside handle. Had to use the fob to unlock then everything went back to normal.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yup, this happens to my BS BB too. When the doors are all locked and I press the rear lift gate button, the rear amber lights flash but doesn’t unlock the rear lift gate...though I can’t recall if it’s always done that or just recently.
By default, will only the driver door unlock at first with the key in proximity to the vehicle? I know the behavior of the key fob is selectable in the system settings, maybe this is as well? In any case, if the rear doors are "locked out" in this fashion (won't unlock if the driver door is still locked), I wouldn't expect the rear to unlock either.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
By default, will only the driver door unlock at first with the key in proximity to the vehicle? I know the behavior of the key fob is selectable in the system settings, maybe this is as well? In any case, if the rear doors are "locked out" in this fashion (won't unlock if the driver door is still locked), I wouldn't expect the rear to unlock either.
The rear window can unlock but not the lift gate

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
On our Explorer after unlocking the driver's door with the keypad we can press the top two numbers at the same time and everything, including the tailgate unlocks. I would try on my BS but I am still waiting for it to be built.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
On our Explorer after unlocking the driver's door with the keypad we can press the top two numbers at the same time and everything, including the tailgate unlocks. I would try on my BS but I am still waiting for it to be built.
The BS (BL anyway) has a similar locking feature w/the keypad -- I'm sure there are other features, maybe including this one. Not up to that point in the Manual yet.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
Played around with this the other day. The proximity sensor seems to be two part. First is the key sensor. Second, is a hand sensor. The driver and front passenger doors unlock when you have the key and then put finger(s) in the door handle cup (as you are grabbing the handle). The second row doors unlock when you open a front row door. I have things configured with maximum unlock,

Opening the rear glass or tailgate does not unlock any doors. They unlock with the button push when the key is sensed.

JohnnyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Late to the party, but...Can confirm, I used to be able to unlock th lift gate with the fob in my pocket but noticed just last week that the lift gate will no longer open without unlocking all doors, but the glass will. Any updates to the "why now" this? Other than plugging my phone up directly via Type-C or Bluetooth, I have yet to connect this to our home WiFi

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Late to the party, but...Can confirm, I used to be able to unlock th lift gate with the fob in my pocket but noticed just last week that the lift gate will no longer open without unlocking all doors, but the glass will. Any updates to the "why now" this? Other than plugging my phone up directly via Type-C or Bluetooth, I have yet to connect this to our home WiFi
Hey everyone, a friend of mine has a Bronco Sport and I can confirm that you can open and unlock the rear hatch door with the keyless entry Fob in your pocket. This is from the Canadian Bronco Sport Owners Manual.

Ford Bronco Sport Keyless entry on all doors? D175AFBE-2E76-4416-9330-F1F41C2BD1F2
Sponsored