Intelligent Cruise Control

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Found this by reading the manual (I know right?). Went into the settings and turned it on.

Overall I'm very impressed. We took a trip today through speed trap alley where the speed changes from 65 to 55 to 45 in a few hundred yards.
That small town constabulary makes it's yearly budget in that half dozen football fields of highway.

The ICC caught all the signs and quickly adjusted speed.

With lane centering and ICC it makes for some nice highway and back roads driving.

The downside? School zones. The camera that reads the speed limit signs is not good at filtering out school zones speed limits that are not currently in effect. That would be a tall order and I'd rather have it this way than have it blaze through an active school zone.

Overall it's an impressive bit of electronics.
Sponsored

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Wait until you take it on a highway. As someone here posted “it’s like having super power steering”. I thought I would hate the adaptive cruise control part, but once I got used to it I found it relaxing. I also tried it in a traffic jam but I don’t trust it in close quarters and I prefer to leave space so I can roll along without braking.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Wait until you take it on a highway. As someone here posted “it’s like having super power steering”. I thought I would hate the adaptive cruise control part, but once I got used to it I found it relaxing. I also tried it in a traffic jam but I don’t trust it in close quarters and I prefer to leave space so I can roll along without braking.
I set the spacing bars to 4 for close quarter driving and 1 for highway.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The ICC caught all the signs and quickly adjusted speed.
Two instances so far in CA (US) coast driving down near Monterey, ICC has read signs as 85 MPH and 95 MPH respectively (CA is 65 MPH in that area) I suspect they had graffiti or odd reflections, but didn't get a chance to swing back and double-check.

OP
OP
JerryC

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two instances so far in CA (US) coast driving down near Monterey, ICC has read signs as 85 MPH and 95 MPH respectively (CA is 65 MPH in that area) I suspect they had graffiti or odd reflections, but didn't get a chance to swing back and double-check.
That sounds like it might gotten interesting...

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That sounds like it might gotten interesting...
It did. First time (the 85 MPH one) I'm like "speed ok, scan, speed ok, scan, speed feels high?, scan, ICC 85 MPH / 92 MPH, speedo climbing, WTF! •brakes•"

Edit: I should note, I was in Eco mode, so the speed increase rate wasn't bat-outta-hell like it can be in Sport mode.

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Are you all sure it’s reading the sign and not using the GPS speed limit info?
I'd like to say "absolutely", but my only corroboration is that "speed limit sign comes into view and ICC updates on-dash". That level of detailed data isn't exposed to us mere mortals.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'd like to say "absolutely", but my only corroboration is that "speed limit sign comes into view and ICC updates on-dash". That level of detailed data isn't exposed to us mere mortals.
I think it's a combination. There was a specific spot in Big Bend that I kept passing through that had not a single sign but every time I passed that specific spot going in either direction it would register a speed limit sign, but only for like 1/8 mile. I also recently was driving on I-40 West in AR, which used to be 70mph but is now 75, and it was constantly registering non-existent 70mph signs. It was happening frequently enough that I switched to plain old adaptive CC. I've noticed it pick up non-existent speed limit signs in a bunch of other random places, too.

Anyone else pick up speed limit signs on adjacent roads? When I'm in the DFW metroplex, I regularly pick up side roads while I'm on the interstate (45 vs 75) and vice versa. It can be... interesting.

Despite how unreliable it is, I still used it pretty frequently until I turned it off last weekend due to the aforementioned I-40 headaches.

OP
OP
JerryC

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a couple of my previous cars the onboard gps could get the wrong speed limits by thinking I was on street near the highway or even an on-ramp I was passing.
In the BS I almost always use Waze in Android Auto and that seems to be much more accurate than any onboard gps systems in vehicles post.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I think it's a combination. There was a specific spot in Big Bend that I kept passing through that had not a single sign but every time I passed that specific spot going in either direction it would register a speed limit sign, but only for like 1/8 mile. I also recently was driving on I-40 West in AR, which used to be 70mph but is now 75, and it was constantly registering non-existent 70mph signs. It was happening frequently enough that I switched to plain old adaptive CC. I've noticed it pick up non-existent speed limit signs in a bunch of other random places, too.

Anyone else pick up speed limit signs on adjacent roads? When I'm in the DFW metroplex, I regularly pick up side roads while I'm on the interstate (45 vs 75) and vice versa. It can be... interesting.

Despite how unreliable it is, I still used it pretty frequently until I turned it off last weekend due to the aforementioned I-40 headaches.
This would make sense to me, some combination of camera reading & map reading. I don’t think I’ve had it miss a construction zone yet, and it picks up a max 15 parking lot sign that I’m sure isn’t mapped at all. Yet I have other zones where it goes from 100 down to 70 despite there being no sign (the 70 doesn’t start until quite a few miles up the road). Thanks, I was kinda confused how it worked.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
I've found that the yellow caution speed limit signs don't get read.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I set the spacing bars to 4 for close quarter driving and 1 for highway.
I use it in traffic. 1 bar of spacing is too big. Often times people think I leave space so they cut in.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I use it in traffic. 1 bar of spacing is too big. Often times people think I leave space so they cut in.
On I5 in Kalifornia, 1 car length at 75mph is enough room for someone to cut in. I found that just touching the throttle will override the speed control without cancelling the cruise setting, and keeps the cruise from hitting the brakes. When I move away from the throttle, the cruise takes over again without having to reset it.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE