Big Bend Intelligent 4WD

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone had their intelligent 4WD activate in the Big Bend? I went off roading this past weekend and I did a somewhat steep climb with mine and had a tiny bit of slippage but it caught on and went right up. I had it in normal mode the whole time. I was hoping to see some sort of sign that the AWD got activated. Does anyone know how this works or when it kicks in?
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Has anyone had their intelligent awd activate in the Big Bend? I went off roading this past weekend and I did a somewhat steep climb with mine and had a tiny bit of slippage but it caught on and went right up. I had it in normal mode the whole time. I was hoping to see some sort of sign that the AWD got activated. Does anyone know how this works or when it kicks in?
In some other threads it was said that there is a mode in the dash where you can see this...but apparently bigbend does not have it so not sure how to tell if we have that. So i went back to the ford website and compared the models, badlands and first model have an intelligent 4wd and base/BB/OB have 4wd.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
In some other threads it was said that there is a mode in the dash where you can see this...but apparently bigbend does not have it so not sure how to tell if we have that. So i went back to the ford website and compared the models, badlands and first model have an intelligent 4wd and base/BB/OB have 4wd.
Hmm. Thats strange. I believe the instrument cluster is different in the base/bb/ob than the badlands and first edition right?

Chase65

First Edition
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BSFE, '12 F150 FX4, '94 Explorer, '93 YJ
It’s my understanding that the system is always on, it doesn’t matter what drive mode you are in. The computer is constantly sensing for slippage and is ready to send power where it is needed. I don’t think there is a message or light that comes on to show this, although if you have the 6.5 inch display screen in the instrument cluster, you can toggle the menu to show the intelligent 4WD screen which will show how much power is being sent to each wheel. I don’t know for sure if the 4.2 inch screen has this option.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It’s my understanding that the system is always on, it doesn’t matter what drive mode you are in. The computer is constantly sensing for slippage and is ready to send power where it is needed. I don’t think there is a message or light that comes on to show this, although if you have the 6.5 inch display screen in the instrument cluster, you can toggle the menu to show the intelligent 4WD screen which will show how much power is being sent to each wheel. I don’t know for sure if the 4.2 inch screen has this option.
Okay awesome thank you. I noticed that the different sized screens have different software? The Big Bend looks more like my older ford focus and the pictures I see of the Badlands look much more unique.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
@GiraffezMilk the 4WD system is the same in all non-BL (and FE) trims. Each of the non-BL trims have 5 GOAT modes. Regarding your original question, the main difference between the Base and BB vs. the OB (among other things) is the screen in the dash instrument/gauge cluster. The OB's screen is larger, and provides more information pages, such as an Intelligent 4WD page. The Base and BB do not have this same info page.

To my knowledge, that does not mean the two have different 4WD systems. Like I mentioned above, they both utilize the same intelligent system real-time that distributes power as necessary. The GOAT modes (Sand and Slippery) are used to optimize that power distribution depending on the terrain or situation you are in.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
@GiraffezMilk the 4WD system is the same in all non-BL (and FE) trims. Each of the non-BL trims have 5 GOAT modes. Regarding your original question, the main difference between the Base and BB vs. the OB (among other things) is the screen in the dash instrument/gauge cluster. The OB's screen is larger, and provides more information pages, such as an Intelligent 4WD page. The Base and BB do not have this same info page.

To my knowledge, that does not mean the two have different 4WD systems. Like I mentioned above, they both utilize the same intelligent system real-time that distributes power as necessary. The GOAT modes (Sand and Slippery) are used to optimize that power distribution depending on the terrain or situation you are in.
Awesome. This is great info. Even though the BB and base don't have the same page info, I wonder if there is any way of seeing the power distribution on the BB or Base models when it is being utilized. For example, If you use slippery goat mode, and your wheels are working on gaining traction, it would pop up a screen that shows the power distribution. It would be nice and I think should be a standard thing for any vehicle that has intelligent all wheel drive or intelligent 4wd.

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’m not positive about this, but from what I can tell the 4wd system in the Base, BB and OB is unaffected by the GOAT mode selected. The GOAT modes just adjust the steering feel, the throttle response, the shift points and maybe something else. On the BL and FE the two additional GOAT modes do in fact change the 4wd such that all 4 wheels are 100% engaged all the time.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Has anyone had their intelligent awd activate in the Big Bend? I went off roading this past weekend and I did a somewhat steep climb with mine and had a tiny bit of slippage but it caught on and went right up. I had it in normal mode the whole time. I was hoping to see some sort of sign that the AWD got activated. Does anyone know how this works or when it kicks in?
It is 4WD not AWD..this isnt some Subaru

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
Awesome. This is great info. Even though the BB and base don't have the same page info, I wonder if there is any way of seeing the power distribution on the BB or Base models when it is being utilized. For example, If you use slippery goat mode, and your wheels are working on gaining traction, it would pop up a screen that shows the power distribution. It would be nice and I think should be a standard thing for any vehicle that has intelligent all wheel drive or intelligent 4wd.
I have an OB, and have the screen below which shows the power to wheel distribution, I’m parked but the bars fill as power is sent to each wheel. You’ll see we are front wheel drive the majority of the time.

to access this screen hit the menu button on your steering wheel, scroll up to the select screen tab, intelligent 4wd is not default so check that box.

now when you scroll between screens, audio, mpg and the like intelligent 4wd will be one of them.

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Intelligent 4WD 57EC32BC-B277-423E-BE36-E4082A8B815F

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have an OB, and have the screen below which shows the power to wheel distribution, I’m parked but the bars fill as power is sent to each wheel. You’ll see we are front wheel drive the majority of the time.

to access this screen hit the menu button on your steering wheel, scroll up to the select screen tab, intelligent 4wd is not default so check that box.

now when you scroll between screens, audio, mpg and the like intelligent 4wd will be one of them.

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Intelligent 4WD 57EC32BC-B277-423E-BE36-E4082A8B815F
My cluster looks different but I'm going to see if I can check this screen as an option! Thanks for the tips!

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
The display directly says "Intelligent 4WD" and I did a simple google search for you.

Feel free to do some research- This will really help you become more informed of the car you own.

https://www.carmax.com/articles/awd-vs-4wd-which-to-choose
Honestly the distinction between the two is so blurred nowadays. If you read the article you posted, despite our system saying 4wd on my OB I don’t have locking rear diffs or any of the things that you would consider 4wd.

In fact, from your very post, this describes the system that we have in our vehicles the best.

PART-TIME AWD
In usual operation, part-time AWD sends torque to two driven wheels, either the front or rear, depending on the make and model. The system then automatically engages the other two wheels when road conditions demand extra traction. Modern part-time AWD systems use an array of electronic sensors that feed information to a computer, which controls the amount of power directed to each wheel.

to summarise the difference between 4wd and AWD is whatever the manufacturer chose, If we were to look at more traditional definitions our vehicle would definitely be considered AWD.

This forum is here to help people, not to be patronising and condescending when people have genuine questions to help further their enjoyment of their new vehicle.

especially when you are 100% wrong from your own article.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Honestly the distinction between the two is so blurred nowadays. If you read the article you posted, despite our system saying 4wd on my OB I don’t have locking rear diffs or any of the things that you would consider 4wd.

In fact, from your very post, this describes the system that we have in our vehicles the best.

PART-TIME AWD
In usual operation, part-time AWD sends torque to two driven wheels, either the front or rear, depending on the make and model. The system then automatically engages the other two wheels when road conditions demand extra traction. Modern part-time AWD systems use an array of electronic sensors that feed information to a computer, which controls the amount of power directed to each wheel.

to summarise the difference between 4wd and AWD is whatever the manufacturer chose, If we were to look at more traditional definitions our vehicle would definitely be considered AWD.

This forum is here to help people, not to be patronising and condescending when people have genuine questions to help further their enjoyment of their new vehicle.

especially when you are 100% wrong from your own article.
I appreciate the help and info. I adjusted the title so we can all feel better lol. Anyways, I have had a hard time with trying to figure out the difference as well and I think you describe it perfectly. The lines are kinda blurred now and from what I've gathered, Ford describes the difference is that the their intelligent AWD vs intelligent 4WD is just that the 4WD is designed for more adventurous situations. I am assuming its a similar system but tuned up differently and designed to be a bit more rugged.

I was just seeing if someone could help me find my intelligent 4wd screen on the big bend LOL. I looked last night and I cant seem to find it. I went through the menues and everything.
Sponsored

Last edited: