brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice install. I had a Rockford Fosgate 8" punch in my 2019 Ranger, sounded great, had it behind the back seat. I am not too sold on placing a sub in the cargo area, I need the space. I may have missed it, but where exactly did you tap the firewall for the B+ for the sub? Thanks!
Sponsored

MuddyBoots

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I do, Ill check it out today if possible. The thing is they are built into some like plastic frames as op pictured. If I remember the openings have a little bit of wiggle room. We know the alpines went in, maybe check the dimensions of that model for comparison?
Thanks Forty. Here's the same drawing for the Alpines:

Ford Bronco Sport Installing aftermarket speakers and sub in Bronco Sport! Alpine R-S65 2 Dimensions.PNG

They don't provide the diameter from the mounting points, but the diameter of the speaker cage (the part of the speaker that would actually go into the hole on the door) is about 7.7mm larger on the Rockford Fosgates. Not sure how much wiggle room there is in the hole.

Edit: Adding diagram of the RFs for easy comparison.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing aftermarket speakers and sub in Bronco Sport! RF P1675 Technical Drawing.PNG

Last edited:

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
That is correct. I have a Badlands without the B&O system and can confirm that the speaker panel on the dash in front of the windshield is not there. Which, honestly, is probably for the better. I've listened to the B&O system, and the center dash speaker is just kinda awkward. It creates an odd soundstage, which makes sense if you think about it. It's just one speaker up there, and most music is recorded in stereo so what is actually supposed to be played from that speaker? It just becomes a mix of both left and right channels, because the music isn't encoded for a third center channel.

It also doesn't have the speaker grills in the rear door panels for the tweeters like the B&O system. Not a huge deal though, just put a good set of coaxials back there and you'll be good to go.
Those are all really good points. Thanks

jeraejarreau

Big Bend
First Name
Jerae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a Bronco Sport Big Bend, and I have a 10” Kicker Subwoofer with amp built in that I’m interested in installing. The only thing I can’t figure out to do is how to take the dash apart to get to the factory radio to finish the install. Any help?

OP
OP
jlmazzola

jlmazzola

Big Bend
First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I have a Bronco Sport Big Bend, and I have a 10” Kicker Subwoofer with amp built in that I’m interested in installing. The only thing I can’t figure out to do is how to take the dash apart to get to the factory radio to finish the install. Any help?
No need to take the dash apart, you just need a line out converter and you can tap into one of the back speakers.

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I got a set of JBL GTO 629 and the rockghost I plan on installing this weekend or next weekend. I got the brackets the OP mentioned for the front doors. I'll keep you posted on how the install goes.

MWB6072

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Will I need a separate speaker connector for this install?

or can I use all of the OEM wiring?

I am just upgrading the speakers in the door.

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
First of all, thanks to the previous posters for all useful information. It made life so much easier. I am adding a bit to the knowledge base.
I just installed JBL GTO 629 in the front and rear door speakers. I used the Metra brackets that the OP suggested in the front while drilling a 1/2" hole in the side to run the wires through. I used Metra adapter cables 72-5602 so I wouldn't have to splice.
Tools needed
5/16 socket and extension for the door handle screw
9/32 for screw behind the reflector, lower panel, and speaker mounts
10mm for screws behind the control panels
I just used my hands to pop the panels but a thin plastic pry would probably help.
Zip ties and end snips for securing cables
Drill and bits for modifying the front metra adapter. I also used a coping saw.
A screw driver with a ph2 for attaching the speakers to the rear JBL brackets (ymmv).
A magnet for when the reflector screw almost drops into the panel and you don't want to pull the panel. Or some tape to temporarily cover the holes behind the reflector.

I did not have to drill anything for the rear speakers as I was able to sneak the cables through the mount plate. (Photo attached)

When putting the door panels back on, ensure the latch and lock connector are rigged correctly, also feed the window control cable out the panel to make your life easier.

I hope this helps. I took some video of the install and may post that later.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing aftermarket speakers and sub in Bronco Sport! 20210529_111134

MuddyBoots

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
First of all, thanks to the previous posters for all useful information. It made life so much easier. I am adding a bit to the knowledge base.
I just installed JBL GTO 629 in the front and rear door speakers. I used the Metra brackets that the OP suggested in the front while drilling a 1/2" hole in the side to run the wires through. I used Metra adapter cables 72-5602 so I wouldn't have to splice.
Tools needed
5/16 socket and extension for the door handle screw
9/32 for screw behind the reflector, lower panel, and speaker mounts
10mm for screws behind the control panels
I just used my hands to pop the panels but a thin plastic pry would probably help.
Zip ties and end snips for securing cables
Drill and bits for modifying the front metra adapter. I also used a coping saw.
A screw driver with a ph2 for attaching the speakers to the rear JBL brackets (ymmv).
A magnet for when the reflector screw almost drops into the panel and you don't want to pull the panel. Or some tape to temporarily cover the holes behind the reflector.

I did not have to drill anything for the rear speakers as I was able to sneak the cables through the mount plate. (Photo attached)

When putting the door panels back on, ensure the latch and lock connector are rigged correctly, also feed the window control cable out the panel to make your life easier.

I hope this helps. I took some video of the install and may post that later.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing aftermarket speakers and sub in Bronco Sport! 20210529_111134
Thanks Brody! The Metra adapter cable was the last piece of the puzzle I needed, so that's a huge help.

Most important question--how does it sound?? :):)

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks Brody! The Metra adapter cable was the last piece of the puzzle I needed, so that's a huge help.

Most important question--how does it sound?? :):)
It sounds much better. Now the question is, do I try to drive them with something to get the full effect.

I would like to compare the Alpines with the JBLs I put in.

I also still need to do the sub install. So I'll post more about putting in the sub. Hope your install goes well.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I never considered upgrading sound on a car before. Yesterday I put on some tunes and was surprised how noticeably worse it was than my Fiesta. I'll definitely be upgrading now.

ford4life

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Hey All, I have a big bend edition. I am thinking of upgrading just the 2 front doors and 2 rear door speakers.

I was looking at the speaker suggestions on this thread as well as the brackets, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of these "PowerBass" speakers? They make OEM speakers for a direct fit, and they have these ones for Ford that appear to already be in the same bracket/housing (with the plug) as the factory speakers, which appears it would make for an easy swap! I put links below, there is a component model and a coaxial model. Personally, I am probably going to go with the coaxial model as I don't intend on changing my tweeters.

From my perspective, the size of the speaker (6.5") and impedance (4ohm) seem to match the factory. Just looking for insight if anyone heard of these or used them yet? Seems like a good option for an easy swap. I was looking at using some JBLs for roughly the same price, but I am sure these are probably about the same, but in either event, definitely better than the stock speakers Ford put in. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Coaxial Model:
https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/OE652-FD-Coaxial-OEM-Replacement-Speaker-FORD-Lincoln/

Component Model:
https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/OE65C-FD-Component-OEM-Replacement-Component-Speaker-System-Ford-Lincoln/
Sponsored