GoHack

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
I would imagine that they are a plastic reinforced w/fiberglass.
The issue w/plastics are w/the heat of the engine.
Over time they tend to fatigue and crack.
I would also imagine, w/the tightening of the drain plug, you will need to be especially careful. I would recommend using a torque wrench when tightening, looking up what the torque value is for the drain plug.

Floordog2

Big Bend
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Edge, 2022 Bronco Sport
Just had my first oil/filter change on my 2022 Big Bend built 07/22. 5.3 quarts with filter.

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
Well mines built 5/22. I went out and checked my oil and it is mid-range ice cold. Also, I did not notice the pan being a composite during the oil change. So, I think I'm a 5.3. But I'm going to mark my engine so in the future some oil changer does not fill it 6.6. and not understand why dipstick is so high.

Scot

Big Bend
First Name
scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bonco Sport Big Bend
Help! I ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend that was build in August-September of 2022. Everything I have read in the manual says it should take 5.3 quarts of 5W-20 including filter so that's what I put in after the first oil change and it didn't read on the dipstick. So, I did some research and saw places on fords website that stated anywhere from 5 to 6.6 quarts for the 1.5 ecobost. I assume they use the engine in different vehicles hence the reason for multiple capacities. Wasn't satisfied so I looked up some videos on oil pans and all of the ones I saw were of the 2021 model and made of metal however the oil pan on my bronco sport is a plastic composite. I ended up having to put 6.5 quarts in for it to read on the dipstick, probably a little over done because it reads half way up the dipstick 'min-max' zone.

But, that leads me to a few questions. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible Ford changed the size of the oil pan on very late 2022 models? Did they put the wrong pan on my SUV? I went to two different local Ford dealers and both said the 1.5L takes 6.6 quarts. Is it different in the Bronco Sports? It was a simple oil changes I've done countless times, I've never been so confused. I am questioning my entire existence at the moment.
I got my 2022 BB first service done at the dealership 6 days ago, I checked it after coming across this thread (I know, my mistake)..... nothing on the stick ....nada
...waiting on thier reply,
bet'n I'm 1.3qrts low ....thanks for the posting

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
My BS 22 was produced 9/22. It had the insert saying it has a capacity of 6.6.

When we first got our 20 Escape I took it in for its first oil change and they put 5.6 in it instead of 5.3. You could tell because the level was over the top fill mark. And the 1.5 dragon engine that year would get very quiet when overfilled. The dealership wanted to argue about the capacity. I got a copy of the page out of the full service manual that stated 5.6 for a dry engine and 5.3 for regular service. That was the last time I did not check the oil before leaving.

The next time they changed it, they just added a quart to the existing oil. How could I tell? The dipstick cane out light golden brown on the top and dark brown in the bottom and VERY over filled.

I talked to the service manager and showed him the issue. He offered to change it again, I told him no just drain a quart out and refund the money and I would change it myself.

I have had the dealer put the wrong weight oil in my F250. The wrong amount in my fusion multiple times.

Moral of these stories? Trust but verify. I alway check the service bill for weight and amount. And I always pull the dipstick and check the color and level. Even if it means waiting around an additional 20 minutes for it to drain back.

You have to remember, in most cases the quick lane techs are kids being paid minimum wage.

For this bronco I will tell the service writer to put it on the ticket. I also plan on showing them the insert.

onceforall

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
just rec'd mine, 2023 BB. The manual does not have a slip-in errata page, but the capacity is clearly stated as 6.6qt (p343). I see this as a good thing, oil temp and quality improved with the added capacity. After my first 1,000 mile oil change, from there on it will be extended life full synthetic when the computer says so. Wix filter.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
The more oil capacity, the better. I've gone so far as to install an oil cooler in my past two Ford F150's that did not have one from the factory. It added an extra 1 quart, plus of course keeping the oil cooler.

Very impressed to see a smaller displacement engine with a capacity of 6.6 quarts.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
My 2022 BB owners manual says 5.3. I don't have the insert, but dealer serviced oil change showed 6 qts installed and the dip stick showed to the max line. BTW, I took possession 1/31/22. I believe the build date was late Dec. It was a dealer order.

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
This insert is from Ford ALL 1.5 engines built from 10/2021 take 6.6 Qts of oil
I’m having the same issue. I went to my Ford dealer to order a spare plastic 1/4 turn drain plug and they looked up my car with my vin and came back with a metal plug. They even showed me the bill of materials for my vin and it showed a metal oil pan and metal plug. I definitely have a plastic oil pan and when I put 5.3 quarts in it it doesn’t show on the dip stick. I put 6 quarts in and it’s barely shows up on the dip stick, it definitely takes more than 5.3 quart. Does anyone have it in writing that they take 6.6 quarts? I’m going to leave 6 in until I see otherwise. Very confusing Ford!
Yes and this is the second time I will post this IN THIS Thread!!!!!

If your Bronco Sport was built FROM OCTOBER 2021 it takes 6.6 Qts. Here is a pic of the manual insert from FORD MoCo:

Ford Bronco Sport Help! 2022 Big Bend 1.5L Oil Capacity 0318232042

Last edited:

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
My build date was 02/11/22 and I have a metal pan, no manual insert and 6.0 qt puts it dead on the max line. My book says 5.3 qt and has no insert.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
My dealer gave me 4 free oil changes, and I'll be checking the oil before I leave the parking lot after each one performed. I'm sure my 2023 BS Outer Banks is 6.6 quarts.

Scot

Big Bend
First Name
scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bonco Sport Big Bend
Help! I ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend that was build in August-September of 2022. Everything I have read in the manual says it should take 5.3 quarts of 5W-20 including filter so that's what I put in after the first oil change and it didn't read on the dipstick. So, I did some research and saw places on fords website that stated anywhere from 5 to 6.6 quarts for the 1.5 ecobost. I assume they use the engine in different vehicles hence the reason for multiple capacities. Wasn't satisfied so I looked up some videos on oil pans and all of the ones I saw were of the 2021 model and made of metal however the oil pan on my bronco sport is a plastic composite. I ended up having to put 6.5 quarts in for it to read on the dipstick, probably a little over done because it reads half way up the dipstick 'min-max' zone.

But, that leads me to a few questions. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible Ford changed the size of the oil pan on very late 2022 models? Did they put the wrong pan on my SUV? I went to two different local Ford dealers and both said the 1.5L takes 6.6 quarts. Is it different in the Bronco Sports? It was a simple oil changes I've done countless times, I've never been so confused. I am questioning my entire existence at the moment.
There is, as you probably know, an addendum....mine takes 6.6 qrts .... My dealership sent me home with nothing on the stick after my freebie oil change....they didn't know about it either

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
My 2023 BB Is 6.6 qts that makes A correct reading on the dip stick.
Sponsored