Tone

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Help! I ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend that was build in August-September of 2022. Everything I have read in the manual says it should take 5.3 quarts of 5W-20 including filter so that's what I put in after the first oil change and it didn't read on the dipstick. So, I did some research and saw places on fords website that stated anywhere from 5 to 6.6 quarts for the 1.5 ecobost. I assume they use the engine in different vehicles hence the reason for multiple capacities. Wasn't satisfied so I looked up some videos on oil pans and all of the ones I saw were of the 2021 model and made of metal however the oil pan on my bronco sport is a plastic composite. I ended up having to put 6.5 quarts in for it to read on the dipstick, probably a little over done because it reads half way up the dipstick 'min-max' zone.

But, that leads me to a few questions. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible Ford changed the size of the oil pan on very late 2022 models? Did they put the wrong pan on my SUV? I went to two different local Ford dealers and both said the 1.5L takes 6.6 quarts. Is it different in the Bronco Sports? It was a simple oil changes I've done countless times, I've never been so confused. I am questioning my entire existence at the moment.
Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford
Help! I ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend that was build in August-September of 2022. Everything I have read in the manual says it should take 5.3 quarts of 5W-20 including filter so that's what I put in after the first oil change and it didn't read on the dipstick. So, I did some research and saw places on fords website that stated anywhere from 5 to 6.6 quarts for the 1.5 ecobost. I assume they use the engine in different vehicles hence the reason for multiple capacities. Wasn't satisfied so I looked up some videos on oil pans and all of the ones I saw were of the 2021 model and made of metal however the oil pan on my bronco sport is a plastic composite. I ended up having to put 6.5 quarts in for it to read on the dipstick, probably a little over done because it reads half way up the dipstick 'min-max' zone.

But, that leads me to a few questions. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible Ford changed the size of the oil pan on very late 2022 models? Did they put the wrong pan on my SUV? I went to two different local Ford dealers and both said the 1.5L takes 6.6 quarts. Is it different in the Bronco Sports? It was a simple oil changes I've done countless times, I've never been so confused. I am questioning my entire existence at the moment.
According to the BS owner's manual it's 5.3quarts for the 1.5L engine:

Ford Bronco Sport Help! 2022 Big Bend 1.5L Oil Capacity BS 1.5 Oil

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
My 2022, 1.5L takes a FULL 6qts to be at the top of the full range.

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
I put in 5.5 qts, and it was just over the max mark. I took some out to get it to mid-range. Big Bend 2022.

OP
OP

Tone

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So, sounds like all yours take the 5.3 quarts stayed in the manual. Are any of your oil pans the plastic composite material? Or steel?

FakeCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford
So, sounds like all yours take the 5.3 quarts stayed in the manual. Are any of your oil pans the plastic composite material? Or steel?
You should post a photo of your engine and oil pan to assist us. I have not personally seen any Bronco Sport 1.5L with a composite pan

OP
OP

Tone

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
You should post a photo of your engine and oil pan to assist us. I have not personally seen any Bronco Sport 1.5L with a composite pan
I should have done that. I’ll see if I have time to tonight. Sucks having to take all the screws out so you can remove the splash guard

Boatdreamer

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Tremor 6.7 Honda S2000
I’m having the same issue. I went to my Ford dealer to order a spare plastic 1/4 turn drain plug and they looked up my car with my vin and came back with a metal plug. They even showed me the bill of materials for my vin and it showed a metal oil pan and metal plug. I definitely have a plastic oil pan and when I put 5.3 quarts in it it doesn’t show on the dip stick. I put 6 quarts in and it’s barely shows up on the dip stick, it definitely takes more than 5.3 quart. Does anyone have it in writing that they take 6.6 quarts? I’m going to leave 6 in until I see otherwise. Very confusing Ford!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Engineers use sumps with increased capacity during testing. I wonder if these vehicles accidentally got a sump meant for testing installed? I would be very leery about a non-metal oil pan, especially if it's made out of plastic as some are describing. A rock kicked up under normal driving conditions can easily put a hole in plastic.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had a 2016 F-150 2.7 L V6. When I got oil changed the first time they explained the ecoboost engines take longer for oil to get where it needs to do the proper reading. They showed me the dipstick then asked me to wait 15-20 mins. Then showed me again and it read full. I assumed all ecoboost would react the same. I know my response is less technical but thought I would throw that out there.

mikeyncc

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

My 2022 Outer Banks purchased 1/13/23 take 6.6 qts. There was an addendum card in the owner manual packet.

ChadG

Big Bend
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I had a 2016 F-150 2.7 L V6. When I got oil changed the first time they explained the ecoboost engines take longer for oil to get where it needs to do the proper reading. They showed me the dipstick then asked me to wait 15-20 mins. Then showed me again and it read full. I assumed all ecoboost would react the same. I know my response is less technical but thought I would throw that out there.
2022 Bronco Sport owner’s manual addendum in
my Big Bend said 6.6 quarts for 1.5 cars built after
10/2021

Ford Bronco Sport Help! 2022 Big Bend 1.5L Oil Capacity 1CAC2D33-1512-45E6-9775-C2CECA593008

Last edited:

Boatdreamer

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Tremor 6.7 Honda S2000
Thank you Michaell for the information on the addendum card, I just found it and added the correct amount Of oil, now I know!

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Yes I bought one this week and the card fell out of the paperwork....6.6 qts.
Sponsored