ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
My 2022 book says 5.3 qt and it was produced on 02/11/22. No addendum either.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Can those of you whose vehicles use the larger sump please take a look at the oil pan? It's not completely surprising that Ford would increase sump capacity for these engines, especially given reports by some who've performed oil analysis of the level of fuel contamination. I would be VERY surprised indeed, however, to learn that Ford is using a plastic oil pan on a vehicle that is touted as off-road capable.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Mine takes the 6.6 quarts, and from what I can see, it's a plastic material (very hard to see without removing the felt cover). In my experience, the plastic pans I've seen are fairly thick and the material is pretty tough. If I had to guess, I'd bet that object that busts the plastic pan would also bust the cast metal pan as well (JMO). If I was concerned about it, I'd invest in an engine skid plate. Cheers!

FakeCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford
Mine takes the 6.6 quarts, and from what I can see, it's a plastic material (very hard to see without removing the felt cover). In my experience, the plastic pans I've seen are fairly thick and the material is pretty tough. If I had to guess, I'd bet that object that busts the plastic pan would also bust the cast metal pan as well (JMO). If I was concerned about it, I'd invest in an engine skid plate. Cheers!
Unfortunately the composite pans haven't "panned" out on other Ford models and have been leak prone and I doubt they will be any better on the 1.5L. More importantly, why is Ford increasing oil capacity by over a quart? What issue are they trying to correct?

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I should have done that. I’ll see if I have time to tonight. Sucks having to take all the screws out so you can remove the splash guard
When I had my '14 Escape Titanium, I belonged to the Escape forum. There was a company that made a belly pan with doors to access the oil drain plug and oil filter without removing the pan itself. Maybe someone will pick up on this if enough Bronco Sports hit the road.

OP
OP

Tone

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Can those of you whose vehicles use the larger sump please take a look at the oil pan? It's not completely surprising that Ford would increase sump capacity for these engines, especially given reports by some who've performed oil analysis of the level of fuel contamination. I would be VERY surprised indeed, however, to learn that Ford is using a plastic oil pan on a vehicle that is touted as off-road capable.
They are 100% using a plastic oil pans on all 1.5L made after mid August 22. These are also used on the f150s and other models as well.

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
So my May '22 Big Bend should take what now? If i go with 5.3 quarts and it is mid-range on the dipstick am I good or do I follow an additional direction to put in 6.6 quarts and ignore the dipstick. Is it the oil pan difference OR does FORD want us to put in 6.6 now? What will a jiffy lube put in the dipstick amount or the documented amount now. Geeeez I cant find anything on this FORD help us out!!!!!!!!!!

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So my May '22 Big Bend should take what now? If i go with 5.3 quarts and it is mid-range on the dipstick am I good or do I follow an additional direction to put in 6.6 quarts and ignore the dipstick. Is it the oil pan difference OR does FORD want us to put in 6.6 now? What will a jiffy lube put in the dipstick amount or the documented amount now. Geeeez I cant find anything on this FORD help us out!!!!!!!!!!
There is a date of manufacture that this change happened......10/2021......if you were built before this it is still 5.3

Reactions: ZQ8
OP
OP

Tone

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
When was it built? If 5.3 puts you mind range on the dipstick then you should be good. When you change your oil, check if the pan is metal or plastic. If metal I’m confident it takes 5.3 quarts if it’s plastic then it likely takes a different amount

Dperry285

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco sport
Help! I ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend that was build in August-September of 2022. Everything I have read in the manual says it should take 5.3 quarts of 5W-20 including filter so that's what I put in after the first oil change and it didn't read on the dipstick. So, I did some research and saw places on fords website that stated anywhere from 5 to 6.6 quarts for the 1.5 ecobost. I assume they use the engine in different vehicles hence the reason for multiple capacities. Wasn't satisfied so I looked up some videos on oil pans and all of the ones I saw were of the 2021 model and made of metal however the oil pan on my bronco sport is a plastic composite. I ended up having to put 6.5 quarts in for it to read on the dipstick, probably a little over done because it reads half way up the dipstick 'min-max' zone.

But, that leads me to a few questions. Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible Ford changed the size of the oil pan on very late 2022 models? Did they put the wrong pan on my SUV? I went to two different local Ford dealers and both said the 1.5L takes 6.6 quarts. Is it different in the Bronco Sports? It was a simple oil changes I've done countless times, I've never been so confused. I am questioning my entire existence at the moment.
The 23's take 6.6 quarts all engines
Sponsored