SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
what goat mode are you in, going up and down hills? i had mine in normal, popped it in sport and it seemed to help mileage (somewhat).
i have the KO2s, but kept it at factory size just so i didnt have to mess with anything.
but - the pic of yours with the 245 KO2's ...... looks awesome.
Yeah I love the look of the 245s and looked at stock size in bfg’s and those are still 40lbs vs a bigger 235 falken is only 31lbs. I keep it in normal mainly, so I will try the sport mode this week and see how that effects mpg. 235 is still a Ford size option so won’t really mess with Speedo really so that’s another reason I’m thinking swapping the 245 bfg’s to the smaller 235 falkens- about 69lbs less weight for it to have to spin, better hwy tread pattern and not having to adjust speedometer should get me closer to the norm with less wear on the 1.5 long term.
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Yeah I love the look of the 245s and looked at stock size in bfg’s and those are still 40lbs vs a bigger 235 falken is only 31lbs. I keep it in normal mainly, so I will try the sport mode this week and see how that effects mpg. 235 is still a Ford size option so won’t really mess with Speedo really so that’s another reason I’m thinking swapping the 245 bfg’s to the smaller 235 falkens- about 69lbs less weight for it to have to spin, better hwy tread pattern and not having to adjust speedometer should get me closer to the norm with less wear on the 1.5 long term.
yeah the bfg are a heavy, meaty tire. looks are great tho.

and the goat mode is a maybe. when i was in the rocky mountains this summer, i found the sport struggled in normal, and eco modes. mpg went down quite a bit, as i had to get on the gas alot. the sport mode in cruise control ..... it seemed very happy. trans wasn't searching so much.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
I was concerned about the 1.5L pushing 245's also. Then I want to add a roof top tent and camping gear. Someone else out here did all this with a Base model and said it worked great.
Might have worked well at sea level? The 3 cylinder dragon engine has one cylinder deactivation as mentioned on the forum before. To get the higher mpg I’m guessing is under average conditions. Ford engineering specs the car with specific tire sizes. Jumping up to a 245/65/R17 might skew the performanc/mpg just enough? Also real world driving vs epa highway mpg msrp sticker numbers is a best case scenario. my $.02 is the smaller three cylinder is spec‘d for mpg to bring up the average fleet mpg. Once you start tapping into the turbo the envelope of power - horsepower and torque increases but lessens the mpg. My thought is if you plan to tow often, cruise 75 mph, mountain drivin’, live in a rural area, running 245/65 or larger, plan to do more off-roading and want the stiffer suspension, then going with the badlands is a better choice? I liked the 3 cylinder and ford did a fantastic job balancing the engine, but the 4 cylinder does it 20% better including 20 percent estimate less mpg.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Might have worked well at sea level? The 3 cylinder dragon engine has one cylinder deactivation as mentioned on the forum before. To get the higher mpg I’m guessing is under average conditions. Ford engineering specs the car with specific tire sizes. Jumping up to a 245/65/R17 might skew the performanc/mpg just enough? Also real world driving vs epa highway mpg msrp sticker numbers is a best case scenario. my $.02 is the smaller three cylinder is spec‘d for mpg to bring up the average fleet mpg. Once you start tapping into the turbo the envelope of power - horsepower and torque increases but lessens the mpg. My thought is if you plan to tow often, cruise 75 mph, mountain drivin’, live in a rural area, running 245/65 or larger, plan to do more off-roading and want the stiffer suspension, then going with the badlands is a better choice? I liked the 3 cylinder and ford did a fantastic job balancing the engine, but the 4 cylinder does it 20% better including 20 percent estimate less mpg.
Well hell, premium vs regular gas are at play too. In the small print in the sales brochures it states HP, torque and towing capacity specs are based on the use of premium fuel. Might get better mpg upping the octane.

In the Owners Manual it says not to use an octane rating below 87 and again recommends premium for best overall performance and when towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well hell, premium vs regular gas are at play too. In the small print in the sales brochures it states HP, torque and towing capacity specs are based on the use of premium fuel. Might get better mpg upping the octane.
Yeah I have only put plus or premium since I’ve had the rig.

B-rock1975

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport badlands
I work for a ski resort that’s about 40miles from me , so travel 80miles every day 5-6 days a week . It’s about 3000’ in elevation gain from town to resort. The downhill does compensate some but the 24.5 is the compensated average vs the 30-31 I was getting with the stock tires. Before i could do a whole work week with only using 1/2 a tank in gas now I’m only ending my week with and 1/8th tank if I’m lucky. Leaning to go to the 235 falken at3w for this factor

B-rock1975

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport badlands
I just upgraded to Cooper discover at3 4s 235 17 65. Quiet, feels really planted and have good snow rating as I'm in northern Vermont 20 days a winter. Perfect tire for rutted out roads, and won't have to worry about tires rubbing . I want that sweet spot where performance both on off road aren't compromised for what I'm intending to use my badlands for. Feels and looks balanced

Chevyguy

Base
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
IMO, the way you should approach this is what works best for you. I picked the K02 due to the look and performance in snow and rugged terrain, and do not mind the trade off with gas, to me if I need gas I’ll get more and not to worried about long commutes due to the work being close to the house. Case by case scenario when selecting tires, we all have different taste so I chose K02s.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

In the Owners Manual it says not to use an octane rating below 87 and again recommends premium for best overall performance and when towing.
I have run 88 or 89 octane whatever's higher at the pump. Haven't tried 91 yet. Just filled today, went 397 miles on this tank, for 30mpg, with the Falken 245's. Pretty much flat highway speeds.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I just upgraded to Cooper discover at3 4s 235 17 65. Quiet, feels really planted and have good snow rating as I'm in northern Vermont 20 days a winter. Perfect tire for rutted out roads, and won't have to worry about tires rubbing . I want that sweet spot where performance both on off road aren't compromised for what I'm intending to use my badlands for. Feels and looks balanced
235 run great

Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s F14C782D-786F-4FDA-8017-2E7F726588C2

CLH917

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
If you’re entertaining other options, look at Toyo open Country AT3’s as they’re only 34lbs in 245/65r17.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well, I had the BFG KO2 245/65/17's mounted on my Badlands yesterday. Look great, but I only drove home from Discount Tire, so reserving judgement for a day or two. I forgot to ask about the recommended air pressure and can't find it on the BFG site. They were aired to 45 psi. I'll call today and see what they recommend. When I turn the wheel to lock, there is a space about the width of my index finger and a ridge in the fender liner. I suspect the pinch weld is behind here.

To the guys running these tires-- what pressure are you running?

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well, I had the BFG KO2 245/65/17's mounted on my Badlands yesterday. Look great, but I only drove home from Discount Tire, so reserving judgement for a day or two. I forgot to ask about the recommended air pressure and can't find it on the BFG site. They were aired to 45 psi. I'll call today and see what they recommend. When I turn the wheel to lock, there is a space about the width of my index finger and a ridge in the fender liner. I suspect the pinch weld is behind here.

To the guys running these tires-- what pressure are you running?
I’m running 40psi in them right now. They are great tires but keep an eye out on gas mileage this first week. Another person mentioned to run in sport goat mode as I was having issues with fuel consumption in regular with these last week. Giving the bfg’s 1 more week in sport to see if it gets better or switching to the falkens.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’m running 40psi in them right now. They are great tires but keep an eye out on gas mileage this first week. Another person mentioned to run in sport goat mode as I was having issues with fuel consumption in regular with these last week. Giving the bfg’s 1 more week in sport to see if it gets better or switching to the falkens.
I was already thinking about lowering to 40. Discount Tire is closed today and I need to leave early in a.m. to attend a funeral. BSs aren't very heavy compared to a lot of vehicles these tires go on.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have 245/65/17 Falken Rubitreks on my Badlands, I run them at 33 psi.
Sponsored