Falken or bfg ko2’s

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Interesting thread. Following.

I swapped to stock size Falken Wildpeak Trails. Wishing I had opted for 235 ko2s. Not entirely sure what comes next - depends if I get a lift or not.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Top or bottom..
Just switched out to falken at3w in 235 for the mpg. I had bfg ko2’s in 245 and loved the look but the mpg loss was considerable.. did I make the right choice or should I go back the the bfg’s??!
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s B2120DFD-2CBE-42E3-9170-C0E206B60B8E
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s 8B88A2D3-6E35-4D35-8553-E885FD781045

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Interesting thread. Following.

I swapped to stock size Falken Wildpeak Trails. Wishing I had opted for 235 ko2s. Not entirely sure what comes next - depends if I get a lift or not.
Ko2’s don’t come in a 235 unfortunately

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Top or bottom..
Just switched out to falken at3w in 235 for the mpg. I had bfg ko2’s in 245 and loved the look but the mpg loss was considerable.. did I make the right choice or should I go back the the bfg’s??!
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s B2120DFD-2CBE-42E3-9170-C0E206B60B8E
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s 8B88A2D3-6E35-4D35-8553-E885FD781045
Well it depends. Are you losing performance in anything you do (off road, etc) with the BS? Looks of course K02 wins hands down. I have K02 on our FJ and will have the Falken on the BS. Me? I would live with the lost gas performance. But then again I drive my BMW turbo in sport mode all the time and that drops gas faster than anything…but it is fun!!!

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well it depends. Are you losing performance in anything you do (off road, etc) with the BS? Looks of course K02 wins hands down. I have K02 on our FJ and will have the Falken on the BS. Me? I would live with the lost gas performance. But then again I drive my BMW turbo in sport mode all the time and that drops gas faster than anything…but it is fun!!!
Well with the bfg I lost 7mpg and about 70miles per tank. That’s why I switched. Just switched to the 235 falkens and fueled up and reset fuel tracking, so gunna run it this week to see what fuel mpg comes back. Then I guess I will either switch back if there not much difference as I loved the look more of the bfg’s over the falkens. But if falkens get me back to 30+ mpg they will stay I guess

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Couple notes... I posted awhile back I switched at the dealer before I picked up my BS BB, stock 225 tires to the Wildpeak AT3W 245's. I run my PSI at about 36. Last tank of gas I was at 30mpg. I may mess with my PSI to see if I can get better mpg. I don't want to over inflate and create uneven wear. I've seen vehicles that have been worn down smooth in the center and bunch of tread left on the outside.

I thought by going up a couple tire sizes the speedometer would be off. I came upon a couple of those speed limit signs that display your speed, they were right on with my speedometer.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Couple notes... I posted awhile back I switched at the dealer before I picked up my BS BB, stock 225 tires to the Wildpeak AT3W 245's. I run my PSI at about 36. Last tank of gas I was at 30mpg. I may mess with my PSI to see if I can get better mpg. I don't want to over inflate and create uneven wear. I've seen vehicles that have been worn down smooth in the center and bunch of tread left on the outside.

I thought by going up a couple tire sizes the speedometer would be off. I came upon a couple of those speed limit signs that display your speed, they were right on with my speedometer.
That’s good to hear. I am running 36psi right now in the 235 falkens and reset trip when I fueled and so far has not adjusted and saying 24mpg. So if it doesnt get back up to the 30mpg range I think I’ll be going back to the 245 bfg ko2’s

Mike_L

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

I'm no tire expert, but my understanding of tire size is going from 225 to 235 or 245 is in increase in width, not circumference. Therefore, wheel revolutions stay the same = speedometer reads the same.. Changing sidewall size, say 65 to 70 or 75, or changing wheel size will effect speedometer reading.

Or, I could be completely in left field. JMHO

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
I'm no tire expert, but my understanding of tire size is going from 225 to 235 or 245 is in increase in width, not circumference. Therefore, wheel revolutions stay the same = speedometer reads the same.. Changing sidewall size, say 65 to 70 or 75, or changing wheel size will effect speedometer reading.

The 65 or 70 is the aspect ratio. It's the size of the sidewall in respect to the width of the tire.
As an example, using a 225/65/17 tire, the 225 width converts to roughly 8.86 inches. Take the 65 aspect ratio and that is 65% of the width. 8.86x.65=5.76 inches. That is the height of the sidewall. There are 2 sidewalls in the height of a tire so times that by 2=11.52. Add that to the diameter of the wheel 11.52+17= 28.52. That's roughly the diameter of the tire.

A wider tire with the same aspect ratio gives you a bigger sidewall and therefore, a taller tire. A wider tire with a smaller aspect ratio could give you a similar size tire in height.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

I used this website to compare tires. https://tire-calc.com/comparison/225-65-r17-and-245-65-r17-inch/

About a 1" difference in height and under an inch width. Speedo vs actual speed changes the faster you go. This is where my on-road stat is off. When I watched my speed at the speed limit detector I was going under 40mph, which isn't perfect using the analog (I'll watch the digital next times). But yes going 60 there is a couple mph difference according to this website.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
That’s good to hear. I am running 36psi right now in the 235 falkens and reset trip when I fueled and so far has not adjusted and saying 24mpg. So if it doesnt get back up to the 30mpg range I think I’ll be going back to the 245 bfg ko2’s
Hope you can get it up to 30 or more. I'm daily driving mine now to/from work, about 55 miles round trip, about 80% at 60mph, in Normal mode. According to the mpg reading in the dash I hover between 29.5-29.8. I usually do a hand calculation when I fill up to compare.

I'm so used to 35 in my lancer. I'd like to be at 30 in my BS. I'll play with the goat modes, hate Eco, lacks power. So I'll compare Normal and Sport.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I used this website to compare tires. https://tire-calc.com/comparison/225-65-r17-and-245-65-r17-inch/

About a 1" difference in height and under an inch width. Speedo vs actual speed changes the faster you go. This is where my on-road stat is off. When I watched my speed at the speed limit detector I was going under 40mph, which isn't perfect using the analog (I'll watch the digital next times). But yes going 60 there is a couple mph difference according to this website.
It seems like I saw a feature in either Google maps or the Ford Nav to check your speedomter. Probably the Ford app. I'll look and see if I can find it. Anyone else seen this. When I ran Chevy DuraMaxes I used a HyperTech progammer and it had a feature to key in your tire diameter and it would correct the speedo.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
It seems like I saw a feature in either Google maps or the Ford Nav to check your speedomter. Probably the Ford app. I'll look and see if I can find it. Anyone else seen this. When I ran Chevy DuraMaxes I used a HyperTech progammer and it had a feature to key in your tire diameter and it would correct the speedo.
Side note, just noticed your pic, looks like we have the same A51 with AVS hood protector. Anyway, where were you on this trip, can't make out the sign? Looks like a cool place to visit. Thanks.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Incorrect it’s a mixture between the 3. Changes height and revolutions as well as width
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s 43AA1F82-D2F2-4C97-8070-DA905CD2FAB2
Sponsored