SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I just bought some bfg ko2’s in 245/65/17 and love the look, but after tracking fuel mileage of them I went from averaging 30.5 to 24.5 and about a loss of about 70miles per tank. Obviously it’s a bigger heavier tire but not realize that I would loose that much. So a couple of questions I have;
1- has anyone else noticed this big of a drop in mileage to these same tires and size?
2- with the weight of the bfg in a 245 is 45.17lbs per tire where the falken in same size is only 39lbs… a weight savings of 6lbs per tire would it be worth it to just switch brands?
3- follow up to #2 as I know I’m going up 2 sizes to a 245 and how it throws off speedometer due to weight and diameter could part of that fuel loss just be mis-tracking and if I get it calibrated would that change anything?
4- or it it worth just going down to a falken 235 which is even lighter at 31lbs being a savings of 14lbs per tire worth getting that fuel mileage back to more normal and sacrifice a little size and looks for better mileage and less wear on 1.5L?
thoughts??
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s 802DC299-50D0-4D0E-ADB0-A44446E2FD1B
Sponsored

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well, you're not saving any money buying another set of new tires. If you're really interested in better MPG you might want to look at Continental TerrainContact A/T they're not super beefy ATs but they have great MPG ratings as well as off road. Just don't try to go over any rocks with them.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well, you're not saving any money buying another set of new tires. If you're really interested in better MPG you might want to look at Continental TerrainContact A/T they're not super beefy ATs but they have great MPG ratings as well as off road. Just don't try to go over any rocks with them.
BF goodrich has a 60 day guaranteed hundred percent satisfaction if you don’t not like them you can return them at any point for 100% refund.
I still need something that is a little bit more beefy as I’m in the snow for work six months out of the year

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I've had the Falken AT3W (not the AT Trail) 245/65r17 (yes 39lb tire) from day 1 on my BS BB. So I can't compare the difference between those and the factory Continentals. For 1300 miles my mpg is at about 29. About 3/4 of those miles has been highway.

I upgraded to Falkens (or any aggressive tire) because I live in MN for the winters, and I like the more aggressive look. I have a Bronco on order. So mileage is taking a back seat. Coming from a car that I've been getting 35mpg. I will be spending more time at the pump.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've had the Falken AT3W (not the AT Trail) 245/65r17 (yes 39lb tire) from day 1 on my BS BB. So I can't compare the difference between those and the factory Continentals. For 1300 miles my mpg is at about 29. About 3/4 of those miles has been highway.

I upgraded to Falkens (or any aggressive tire) because I live in MN for the winters, and I like the more aggressive look. I have a Bronco on order. So mileage is taking a back seat. Coming from a car that I've been getting 35mpg. I will be spending more time at the pump.
Thank you I have been running the continentals when I first got it and knew I would take a little bit of a hit in fuel economy but didn’t think I would lose 70 miles per tank on these and I think it’s mainly due to the weight of the BFG’s. So I can live with 28-29mpg. I to live in a mountain town and I work in the mountains in the snow six months out of the year so I need something good in snow and I want still aggressive look that will handle good and snow and some dirt but I think the BFG’s might be a little bit more than what I really need

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have the Wildpeak AT3s on my BL. Having KO2 245/65/17s installed at Discount Tire tomorrow. I want a more aggressive tread for snow and mud this winter. They put a disclaimer on my receipt that these tires may not fit my vehicle and may change the handling and stability. Told me they will likely rub. If they do we'll take care of it. I wonder if the 1.5 doesn't have to work harder to pull the 245s? I expect my mileage to drop a bit, but not 7 mpg.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Im just going to qttempt to answer the op questions....
1- n/a i stuck with 225 for now for mud build up clearance in wheel well vs ground clearance...
2. Weight of tire obviously will play a role - heavier tire is harder to roll... im not sure if 24 lbs of weight is gonna change much - but there are other factors that will play a role such as tire size and tread... bugger tires take more to move just bc of size... harder to initiate rolling something biggger think gears on a bike - right.... different tread will reate different resistsnce/ traction/ in return mpg...
3. Yes.. 225 to 245 is about a 3.5% change in size... so speedometer at 70 mph youre actually going about 72.5 mph ... there are apps that use gps to determine speed and you can a relatively decent comparison of actual vs displayed speeds....
4. Thats a personal call obviously ... will you see an increase in mpg .. very likely ... how significant - uncertain... but, you are shedding weight. Reducing size resistance. Reducing tire and vehicle profile and resistance and moving to a falken would change the tread to ( what i imagine ) is a little more mpgfriendly....
Now. That said, it is a less aggressive tire so youll have to weight pros and cons... ex anesthetics....Handling in different conditions/ terrains...mpg ... frequency of necessity etc... my guess is most users here do not require the aggressive tread (or overall properties)of a ko2 98% of driving... but they look badass and in the rare occasion yourein a situation where an aggressive/ borderline mud tire is an asset, theyre gonna shine in performance.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have the Wildpeak AT3s on my BL. Having KO2 245/65/17s installed at Discount Tire tomorrow. I want a more aggressive tread for snow and mud this winter. They put a disclaimer on my receipt that these tires may not fit my vehicle and may change the handling and stability. Told me they will likely rub. If they do we'll take care of it. I wonder if the 1.5 doesn't have to work harder to pull the 245s? I expect my mileage to drop a bit, but not 7 mpg.
Yeah I haven’t had any issues with rubbing or anything the biggest aspect is you are going to lose considerable gas mileage with the KO2 because of the weight of them, they are considerably heavier than the at3W’s. I would probably stick with your ATW3 if you care about mileage and I do feel that the 1.5 L is having to work harder to spin a bigger heavier tire which could put more strain on the engine in the long run. The one plus side like I mentioned with good rich on the KO2 is they have a 60 day hundred percent satisfaction guarantee so if you don’t like them or if you have any issues you can return them no questions asked I also got mine from discount tire they’ve already ordered me some AT3W and in 235s to switch out which is going to save me about $100 on top of getting back my fuel and not having to calibrate which is another 150$ for Ford

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Im just going to qttempt to answer the op questions....
1- n/a i stuck with 225 for now for mud build up clearance in wheel well vs ground clearance...
2. Weight of tire obviously will play a role - heavier tire is harder to roll... im not sure if 24 lbs of weight is gonna change much - but there are other factors that will play a role such as tire size and tread... bugger tires take more to move just bc of size... harder to initiate rolling something biggger think gears on a bike - right.... different tread will reate different resistsnce/ traction/ in return mpg...
3. Yes.. 225 to 245 is about a 3.5% change in size... so speedometer at 70 mph youre actually going about 72.5 mph ... there are apps that use gps to determine speed and you can a relatively decent comparison of actual vs displayed speeds....
4. Thats a personal call obviously ... will you see an increase in mpg .. very likely ... how significant - uncertain... but, you are shedding weight. Reducing size resistance. Reducing tire and vehicle profile and resistance and moving to a falken would change the tread to ( what i imagine ) is a little more mpgfriendly....
Now. That said, it is a less aggressive tire so youll have to weight pros and cons... ex anesthetics....Handling in different conditions/ terrains...mpg ... frequency of necessity etc... my guess is most users here do not require the aggressive tread (or overall properties)of a ko2 98% of driving... but they look badass and in the rare occasion yourein a situation where an aggressive/ borderline mud tire is an asset, theyre gonna shine in performance.
Yeah I think we’re on the same page I think I’m going to go with the 235 Falkens due to the tread pattern they’re not as aggressive they’re considerably lighter which is putting less strain on the 1.5 L engine to have to turn that wheel in will keep more factory specs with speedometer and not having to get that calibrated as most of my needs are more snow related versus so much off road

Last edited:

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Yeah I think we’re on the same page I think I’m going to go with the 235 Falcons due to the tread pattern they’re not as aggressive they’re considerably lighter which is putting less strain on the 1.5 L engine to have to turn that wheel in will keep more factory specs with speedometer and not having to get that calibrated as most of my needs are more snow related versus so much off road
One thing to consider is the tread compound. Good discussion on this forum at

Thoughts on Snow Tires? | 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Thank you I have been running the continentals when I first got it and knew I would take a little bit of a hit in fuel economy but didn’t think I would lose 70 miles per tank on these and I think it’s mainly due to the weight of the BFG’s. So I can live with 28-29mpg. I to live in a mountain town and I work in the mountains in the snow six months out of the year so I need something good in snow and I want still aggressive look that will handle good and snow and some dirt but I think the BFG’s might be a little bit more than what I really need
In MN here where I am is pretty flat. You in the mountains, how much up/down, mostly up are you doing? I'm guessing mpg would take a hit pushing heavier tires up. Will the down slope compensate for what you lose going up. 70 does seem like a lot.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I was concerned about the 1.5L pushing 245's also. Then I want to add a roof top tent and camping gear. Someone else out here did all this with a Base model and said it worked great.

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
In MN here where I am is pretty flat. You in the mountains, how much up/down, mostly up are you doing? I'm guessing mpg would take a hit pushing heavier tires up. Will the down slope compensate for what you lose going up. 70 does seem like a lot.
I work for a ski resort that’s about 40miles from me , so travel 80miles every day 5-6 days a week . It’s about 3000’ in elevation gain from town to resort. The downhill does compensate some but the 24.5 is the compensated average vs the 30-31 I was getting with the stock tires. Before i could do a whole work week with only using 1/2 a tank in gas now I’m only ending my week with and 1/8th tank if I’m lucky. Leaning to go to the 235 falken at3w for this factor

OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I was concerned about the 1.5L pushing 245's also. Then I want to add a roof top tent and camping gear. Someone else out here did all this with a Base model and said it worked great.
Yeah the 245s work the question is it worth in in gas mileage and possibly wear on the 1.5 long term

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
what goat mode are you in, going up and down hills? i had mine in normal, popped it in sport and it seemed to help mileage (somewhat).
i have the KO2s, but kept it at factory size just so i didnt have to mess with anything.
but - the pic of yours with the 245 KO2's ...... looks awesome.
Sponsored