(Experience) Ford ESP Dentcare is basically useless

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
I had a couple dents on my rear hatch from someone trying to close the hatch too forcefully and their palms pushing in (use the handle... don't put your palms on the area below the BS logo text.) I had purchased TripleCare from Granger (props to them, great price and smooth process) so I called DentCare's administrator line and filed a claim. They said somebody will contact you tomorrow.

1-800-DENT-DOC called and asked for description and photos. Sent them. Next day get told dent too big (it wasn't). Escalate repeatedly daily with the administrator. After more than a week I get a call back. It's not that it's too big, it's that repairing a dent on the rear hatch requires removal of the plastic on the rear hatch and they won't cover the labor on removal of other panels per the Dentcare terms and conditions- whole claim rejected. Not even "we'll pay for the dent labor, but not the interior panel removal/re-installation labor."

Essentially, this makes Dentcare potentially of very little use, because most dents are going to require removal of panels. A dent on the roof (say, hail or a falling object) will require headliner removal. A dent on the rear hatch requires removal of the interior panel. A dent on the hood could require the removal of the hood cover inside (for sound, on equipped models). If you had a dent in a very specific spot, maybe above one of the wheel wells, maybe that could fit the definition of accessible.

So yeah. I'm not saying don't buy TripleCare (haven't used the other coverage yet but the restrictions/exceptions seem more reasonable), but I would say in real world use, I think Dentcare has very limited applicability. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying Dentcare on its own.

I ended up going to a local shop who did an excellent job (looks brand new) and paying cash out of pocket. They walked me through where I was doing and gave me advice on how to best close the hatch in the future (either the handle, or the metal between the BS logo and the rear glass) so I hopefully don't have to see them anytime soon...
Sponsored

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I had a couple dents on my rear hatch from someone trying to close the hatch too forcefully and their palms pushing in (use the handle... don't put your palms on the area below the BS logo text.) I had purchased TripleCare from Granger (props to them, great price and smooth process) so I called DentCare's administrator line and filed a claim. They said somebody will contact you tomorrow.

1-800-DENT-DOC called and asked for description and photos. Sent them. Next day get told dent too big (it wasn't). Escalate repeatedly daily with the administrator. After more than a week I get a call back. It's not that it's too big, it's that repairing a dent on the rear hatch requires removal of the plastic on the rear hatch and they won't cover the labor on removal of other panels per the Dentcare terms and conditions- whole claim rejected. Not even "we'll pay for the dent labor, but not the interior panel removal/re-installation labor."

Essentially, this makes Dentcare potentially of very little use, because most dents are going to require removal of panels. A dent on the roof (say, hail or a falling object) will require headliner removal. A dent on the rear hatch requires removal of the interior panel. A dent on the hood could require the removal of the hood cover inside (for sound, on equipped models). If you had a dent in a very specific spot, maybe above one of the wheel wells, maybe that could fit the definition of accessible.

So yeah. I'm not saying don't buy TripleCare (haven't used the other coverage yet but the restrictions/exceptions seem more reasonable), but I would say in real world use, I think Dentcare has very limited applicability. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying Dentcare on its own.

I ended up going to a local shop who did an excellent job (looks brand new) and paying cash out of pocket. They walked me through where I was doing and gave me advice on how to best close the hatch in the future (either the handle, or the metal between the BS logo and the rear glass) so I hopefully don't have to see them anytime soon...
Thank you for valuable information on coverages or should i say "lack there of." Seems to be the biggest issue . What is actually covered.
In my next life I want to be a "fine print writer", sure as hell it pays well.

Last edited:

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex

Why ESP's are scams and are frowned upon getting.

OP
OP
coopny

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Why ESP's are scams and are frowned upon getting.
I didn't get the ESP on my last Ford from Ford (it was a third party plan by the dealer), and I didn't have any major mechanical issues - but with the 18" tires on that car and potholes in the northeast,I had the wheels/rims repaired many times without any fuss or anything out of pocket.

The windshieldcare also seems pretty plain as well - they will pay for something smaller than a dollar bill that can be fixed on the existing windshield, but not full windshield replacement.

The dent coverage in comparison seems particularly limited.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I don't have to push on my hatch to close it. I just let it go from about 1-2 feet and the weight is enough to close it.
Isn't there a handle on the inside for closing?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Isn't there a handle on the inside for closing?
Yes, there's a handle to pull it down from fully open, but I don't think you can use that to close. I guess you could give it a good tug using that handle for momentum, but I don't really need it on mine.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yes, there's a handle to pull it down from fully open, but I don't think you can use that to close. I guess you could give it a good tug using that handle for momentum, but I don't really need it on mine.
I don't think much about it but I think (maybe) that I just use the handle. Might have to go try tonight.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't think much about it but I think (maybe) that I just use the handle. Might have to go try tonight.
Yes, I usually just pull the handle on the inside. Generate a bit of momentum and pull my hand out to allow it to close. The few times I have tried to just let it fall the last foot or so, it doesn't seem to fully close for me.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Maybe the load was interfering with the hatch latching. After all, op did say “someone”. Maybe someone not familiar with bs hatch closing process. Too bad the repair couldn’t happen.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I pull tail gate down with inside handle give it a tug and it drops down latches

I dented the paper thin aluminum hood on my black '16 F150 years back using hands to force it shut. Paintless dent guy got them 100 percent out. Now I drop hood from about 8 inches up let it latch itself. $250 lesson not to be dumb.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22

Thanks for the helpful info, I'm glad it worked out (although you had to pay).

This may be obvious to many/most people, but all insurance is essentially gambling -- and the house always wins. Sure, there will be a few people who make out -- receive more in claims coverage than they paid in -- and many of them will tell anyone who will listen what a great deal that particular insurance or extended warranty is.

For every 'winner' there are multiple 'losers' -- there must be, for the underwriter to stay in business. Of course, few people want to talk about how they paid hundreds or thousands of dollars and got nothing in return. So we generally don't hear those negative stories.

The underwriter has all of the data/info/stats. They know, on average, how much they will have to pay out per house/vehicle/etc. They add a hefty amount on to that figure -- enough that they are covered and they can pay the seller a hefty commission. I recall reading that retailers like Best Buy actually make more $$ from selling extended warranties than they do from selling the products!

In most cases, people should be 'self insured' for the manageable risks.

That said, there are at least 3 reasons to buy insurance:

1) Coverage for events that would be a financial disaster -- life; health; home; auto.
2) Special/unique circumstance unknown to the underwriter -- rough local roads, etc.
3) Piece of mind. If a person is literally going to lose sleep over a potential expense, then they might want to get some coverage -- knowing that the chances are very high that they may not use it, and that with exclusions and deductibles even if they do file a claim they may not get their money back.

I appreciate the heads-up about the thin, unsupported sheet metal. I've been pushing on the lower outside edge of the hatch and that has worked well. After reading the comments here I'm going to see if it will actually complete closing and latching by itself. It doesn't feel like it, but I'll give it a try.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

How much did your local shop charge? I have that exact dent but above the bronco logo to the left. Don’t even know how it got there. Just noticed it one day and the panel is super flimsy in that spot lol.

Ford Bronco Sport (Experience) Ford ESP Dentcare is basically useless IMG_2579

OP
OP
coopny

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
How much did your local shop charge? I have that exact dent but above the bronco logo to the left. Don’t even know how it got there. Just noticed it one day and the panel is super flimsy in that spot lol.

Ford Bronco Sport (Experience) Ford ESP Dentcare is basically useless IMG_2579
Rates are going to vary by area, but in the northeast, it cost $600. There were a couple smaller dents towards the bottom dealt with at the same time, and then considerations of labor (for removing and re-installing the interior trim piece inside the hatch). This wasn't wildly different from what I read to expect online.
Sponsored