Does 2.0L engine use cylinder deactivation like the 1.5?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I have a 2018 Ford Escape with the 1.5 4 cyl. The Bronco Sports with the 1.5 3 cyl. I drove seemed to all have more power when I ask for it than my Escape has. Didn't have any reservations ordering my Sport with the 1.5.
Sponsored

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don’t know whether it actually changes how the engine operates or it just changes the throttle sensitivity, but there is a dramatic power difference between drive modes in the Badlands(2.0). I’m not sure how that difference is achieved, but it’s definitely more than just the start-stop function.
I will echo this post, while driving and changing the GOAT mode to Eco from Normal there is a distinct change in power to a noticeable amount. I am not sure how this is achieved, but the engine does alter itself for better mpg. In addition, I have a theory that this may also activate the grill shutters, but that may also occur in any drive mode at a certain speed and beyond.
Any other theories on that or knowledge, I’d be interested in knowing more.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Sorry to say this but the bronco sport 1.5L will go up every mountain pass at speeds in excess of the speed limit. My golf tdi with 136 HP could do that.

also think of it this way I used to drive a bmw 5 series with the 2.8 6 cylinder which made the same power as the sport 1.5 in a heavier car with less gears...nobody ever once complained that they couldn’t go over a mountain pass in an e39 5 series ator above the speed limit.

some of you people on here think you need some massive power for daily driving and highway driving, you really don’t. Unless you drive 15-20MPH over the speed limit and still try to overtake people pushing 100+ mph. If so you have more problems than the engine in a bronco sport and should drive something with real power like a land cruiser or a defender...
You have to remember, your Golf TDI has a lot of torque, as does the 2.0, near 100 ft lbs more than the 1.5 and makes in more enjoyable to drive. We drove both a 1.5 and 2.0, the 1.5 reminds me of what we traded in, a mazda cx3 with a underpowered engine that always seemed like it was working, up-shifting and downshifting constantly to make of for the lack of torque.

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
You have to remember, your Golf TDI has a lot of torque, as does the 2.0, near 100 ft lbs more than the 1.5 and makes in more enjoyable to drive. We drove both a 1.5 and 2.0, the 1.5 reminds me of what we traded in, a mazda cx3 with a underpowered engine that always seemed like it was working, up-shifting and downshifting constantly to make of for the lack of torque.
The 1.5L is nowhere near underpowered at 181hp and 190TQ. In nearly 7,000 miles I have never once felt like I was underpowered at all.

I have driven/used/owned all speeds of cars from fast bmws, V8 lexus SUV, Touareg diesel, Prius, Holden commodore, several golfs and skoda and numerous rentals of all types.

am I saying the 1.5L fast? No way in hell. But to those saying it’s not even adequate to go over a mountain pass at the speed limit and be able to pass slower cars is absurd and ridiculous.

is the 2.0L much faster? Again yes. Does that mean the 1.5L is inadequate and has such lower power it can’t maintain or overtake in traffic? No way.

the people who complain must routinely drive in excess of 100 MPH regularly and pass at well over that speed and should be getting a sports car or high end SUV, not a bronco sport.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
the people who complain must routinely drive in excess of 100 MPH regularly and pass at well over that speed and should be getting a sports car or high end SUV, not a bronco sport.
Unfortunately, this is probably the case. I can't count how many times I've been cruising at 75 mph on the interstate and I get passed by someone doing 85-90+ in something like a Toyota Camry (LOL). Could I go 90 too? Sure. The 1.5L certainly has the capability to keep up without working too hard. However, I know I'm not driving a sports car (and neither are "they").

And also, just to mention, I have no problem merging on the interstate with my 1.5L, or passing anyone or punching it when I have to.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Unfortunately, this is probably the case. I can't count how many times I've been cruising at 75 mph on the interstate and I get passed by someone doing 85-90+ in something like a Toyota Camry (LOL). Could I go 90 too? Sure. The 1.5L certainly has the capability to keep up without working too hard. However, I know I'm not driving a sports car (and neither are "they").

And also, just to mention, I have no problem merging on the interstate with my 1.5L, or passing anyone or punching it when I have to.
I drive a 15 Golf TDI about 1000 miles a week, I like it cuz it's got loads of torque. I typically drive 10mph above the speed limit when traffic allows. I"m not saying the 1.5 isn't peppy. We drove on before settling on the badlands. The 2.0 is just much quieter under load, has near 100 ft pounds more torque so it's enjoyable to drive. My wife drives mainly around town and side roads and her biggest compliment to her new Bronco is how smooth the engine is compared to her 17 Mazda CX3 she traded. It was very similar sounding to the 1.5 and very similar power to it as well.

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
I drive a 15 Golf TDI about 1000 miles a week, I like it cuz it's got loads of torque. I typically drive 10mph above the speed limit when traffic allows. I"m not saying the 1.5 isn't peppy. We drove on before settling on the badlands. The 2.0 is just much quieter under load, has near 100 ft pounds more torque so it's enjoyable to drive. My wife drives mainly around town and side roads and her biggest compliment to her new Bronco is how smooth the engine is compared to her 17 Mazda CX3 she traded. It was very similar sounding to the 1.5 and very similar power to it as well.
Everyone has their own personal reasons for what they want and will enjoy.

where I get irritated is the people who claim the 1.5 isn’t even capable of making it up a mountain pass at the speed limit and you will have to go slower than other cars besides truck traffic.

the 1.5L is more than strong enough to do any driving you want to do in the type of vehicle the bronco sport is.

Is the 2.0 faster and smoother? Sure.

Is the 1.5 so slow that you can’t merge onto a highway like people are claiming? Absolutely not at all.

one engine is adequate and more than compares To other vehicles in the class and has a decent power to weight ratio. The other engine is considered high powered for the weight and style of the vehicle and has more power than actually needed to drive safely. The extra power is just for fun.

I own the 1.5L and am not trying to justify the purchase at all and would prefer the 2.0 if money wasn’t a concern to me.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Everyone has their own personal reasons for what they want and will enjoy.

where I get irritated is the people who claim the 1.5 isn’t even capable of making it up a mountain pass at the speed limit and you will have to go slower than other cars besides truck traffic.

the 1.5L is more than strong enough to do any driving you want to do in the type of vehicle the bronco sport is.

Is the 2.0 faster and smoother? Sure.

Is the 1.5 so slow that you can’t merge onto a highway like people are claiming? Absolutely not at all.

one engine is adequate and more than compares To other vehicles in the class and has a decent power to weight ratio. The other engine is considered high powered for the weight and style of the vehicle and has more power than actually needed to drive safely. The extra power is just for fun.

I own the 1.5L and am not trying to justify the purchase at all and would prefer the 2.0 if money wasn’t a concern to me.
All true; and even towing, the difference between the Badlands/First Edition (with the 2.0LT) and all the rest is only 200 lbs. towing capacity. Though I think there would be a larger difference if they had a conventional rear differential, or perhaps that and a conventional transfer case arrangement as well.

kingtj

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I don't like it at all....when I put my '22 BSBL in Sport mode that feature is disabled....
This is my first vehicle with the engine start/stop feature too. But I find it doesn't bother me much? So many people seem to really dislike it, but I was impressed with how well it all works, really. I mean, there's a lot of technology going into the thing (makes sure engine always stops with cylinders at top dead center for the fastest possible restart, etc.).

If I've got the radio on (which I always do), I can barely tell it shut off at a traffic light. And all the studies put out by folks like AAA indicate you can expect something like 7% fuel savings using it. With gas prices so high lately, that sounds a lot better than it might have in the past.

If there's any issue I have with it, it's that I'm not fond of feeling that momentary hesitation when you first press on the gas to move again. It's *really* slight, but just enough so it's perceptible. Since I've always been kind of a performance car enthusiast, that bugs me -- until I realize that hey, a Bronco Sport is no sports car and nobody cares if this theoretically cuts a small fraction of a second off of your 1/4 mile time! Besides, you can press a button to disable it if you're in a situation where it does matter to you!

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
"must routinely drive in excess of 100 MPH regularly"

Well, I do occasionally saunter across Texas, so... :)

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Our biggest reason for ordering the Badlands model is the 2.0 Ecoboost.

After driving an Escape Titanium with the 2.0 for the past three years, the 1.5 just didn’t do it for us. The difference between the two engines is, in my opinion, substantial.

When we test drove the 1.5 we immediately noticed a lot of engine noise. It sounded rough, unrefined and had an odd rattling-type noise. The other problem we noticed was the amount of vibration coming from it. It could be felt in the steering wheel, seats and floor. That’s not something I could live with.

The 2.0 is quieter, smoother, accelerates with ease and has passing power. The downside is fuel economy.

Interestingly, the dealership gave us a rental Ford Fusion with the 1.5 I4 a few months ago. It was surprisingly smooth and didn’t have any odd vibrations.

kingtj

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Seems optimistic.

How so? The video you linked to was one I found on Road and Track's web page talking about this very topic, and they say, "A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic."

This video doesn't seem to take into account the idea that it might use less fuel to restart one of these stop/start Ecoboost type engines than it takes to start an engine for the first time, using the regular starter. I would think that's the case, because starting a traditional engine involves the starter having to crank it over while fuel is sprayed in until it starts firing on its own. This stop/start technology sets the engine up so it will pretty much fire up and start moving again immediately.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
How so? The video you linked to was one I found on Road and Track's web page talking about this very topic, and they say, "A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic."

This video doesn't seem to take into account the idea that it might use less fuel to restart one of these stop/start Ecoboost type engines than it takes to start an engine for the first time, using the regular starter. I would think that's the case, because starting a traditional engine involves the starter having to crank it over while fuel is sprayed in until it starts firing on its own. This stop/start technology sets the engine up so it will pretty much fire up and start moving again immediately.
Just because an engine is stopped in a position that allows it to restart quickly, that doesn’t change the amount of fuel needed to restart that engine. There might be some very specific circumstances where it does require less fuel but those would be random and infrequent.
Sponsored