Does 2.0L engine use cylinder deactivation like the 1.5?

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Anyone know if the 2.0 uses cylinder deactivation like the 1.5? And if so, does one of the optional driving modes (like Sport) deactivate the deactivation?
Sponsored

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Don't quote me on this because I have no actually knowledge of this.

However using my googlefu... I haven't seen any indication that the 2.0L ecoboost can do cylinder deactivation. Its an inline 4, and that design isn't intended to run on a 3 cylinder, they would have to cut fuel to 2 cylinders.

I think they just use auto start/Stop technology for fuel efficiency.

Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
What you say about the 4 cylinder makes sense with the little bit I've started to research about engines. I neither need nor can afford all that the 2.0 offers, but am leery about driving on 2 cylinders with the 1.5. That's why I wonder if, but doubt, there's a way to deactivate that feature, such as using Sport mode

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
What you say about the 4 cylinder makes sense with the little bit I've started to research about engines. I neither need nor can afford all that the 2.0 offers, but am leery about driving on 2 cylinders with the 1.5. That's why I wonder if, but doubt, there's a way to deactivate that feature, such as using Sport mode
I test drive a 1.5 Escape and I honestly could not tell when or if it was in 2 cylinder mode.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Maybe a test drive like vapour says would put your mind at ease.

Also there are a couple of youtube videos about boosting the 1.5 L Dragon's power output.. the 3 cyl does sound pretty interesting.

OP
OP

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Test drive is good idea. And I'm starting a little research to study reviews of the 2020 Escape 3-cylinder engine.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Test drive is good idea. And I'm starting a little research to study reviews of the 2020 Escape 3-cylinder engine.
I'd be interested in any conclusions. My sense is that the 3 cylinder is quite good and not bad to drive with the turbo. Enthusiasts tend to dislike it out of hand, but I don't think it's a deal breaker for the other trims levels.

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
I'd be interested in any conclusions. My sense is that the 3 cylinder is quite good and not bad to drive with the turbo. Enthusiasts tend to dislike it out of hand, but I don't think it's a deal breaker for the other trims levels.
I have watched a few video reviews of the three cylinder. They don’t seem bad at all. I don’t think anyone is buying a sport purely for the need for speed. I know I certainly am not. I’m getting a 1.5 and am excited for better mpg.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I had a 2020 escape with the 1.5 as a rental when they first came out. Power seemed fine but there’s a big difference between it and the 2.0 (I currently have the 2.0L in an older escape and drove them back to back).

I found the 1.5L to be loud and had a lot of vibrations, at least compared to my 2017 escape. Reviews online seemed to be mixed. You will see reviews like mine and others that found nothing wrong with it. My rental was an SE model (lower trim), so it’s possible it had less sound deadening material then mine. it was also brand new so the transmission hadn’t been broken in yet which could have added to some of the vibrations.

I need the extra power so I personally wouldn’t buy a vehicle with the 1.5, which is a shame because I like the outerbanks.

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
I had a 2020 escape with the 1.5 as a rental when they first came out. Power seemed fine but there’s a big difference between it and the 2.0 (I currently have the 2.0L in an older escape and drove them back to back).

I found the 1.5L to be loud and had a lot of vibrations, at least compared to my 2017 escape. Reviews online seemed to be mixed. You will see reviews like mine and others that found nothing wrong with it. My rental was an SE model (lower trim), so it’s possible it had less sound deadening material then mine. it was also brand new so the transmission hadn’t been broken in yet which could have added to some of the vibrations.

I need the extra power so I personally wouldn’t buy a vehicle with the 1.5, which is a shame because I like the outerbanks.
Thank you for the insight!

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW

In normal driving around town I think there is little difference. The 1.5 might even be a bit more engaging. highway merging and off road the difference would be more pronounEd

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
In normal driving around town I think there is little difference. The 1.5 might even be a bit more engaging. highway merging and off road the difference would be more pronounEd
You could be right. I didn’t get a chance to drive the 1.5 on the highway, but I drive on a toll road daily where the speed limit is 85 mph. I have no problem accelerating or passing people at those speeds with the 2.0.

id suggest test driving an escape to see if you like it. My experience could have been a fluke and obviously not everyone will have the same driving situations as me.

BobSlydel21

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
First thing I did about 4 months ago was drive the Escape, titanium I think... highest trim with the 2.0. Was dope. Super fun. Test drive for sure...

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Test drive complete. In Colorado, definitely the 2.0 is needed! Under powered vehicles feel strained going to the mountains, not too mention if you need to accelerate in a hurry to pass a slower rv/semi/other under powered vehicles, it can be dangerous with faster vehicles gliding up the road.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Test drive complete. In Colorado, definitely the 2.0 is needed! Under powered vehicles feel strained going to the mountains, not too mention if you need to accelerate in a hurry to pass a slower rv/semi/other under powered vehicles, it can be dangerous with faster vehicles gliding up the road.
Don’t turbos normally do worse in altitude?
Sponsored