Does 2.0L engine use cylinder deactivation like the 1.5?

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Test drive complete. In Colorado, definitely the 2.0 is needed! Under powered vehicles feel strained going to the mountains, not too mention if you need to accelerate in a hurry to pass a slower rv/semi/other under powered vehicles, it can be dangerous with faster vehicles gliding up the road.
Don’t turbos normally do worse in altitude?

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Don’t turbos normally do worse in altitude?
yes.. but I think what he means is that since there is only two options right now.. 1.5T or the 2.0T.. a little more displacement will help.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I've never owned or drove a vehicle with the "auto start/Stop technology."

Any opinions? Does this cause an acceleration delay? Is there a way to turn it off?

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Subaru Forester XT
I'm not a fan of it in my F-150. There is a disable button on the dash but it must be pressed everytime you start the truck. There are some aftermarket devices you can plug in to the OBD port to disable the feature but I haven't tried one. Pretty soon every car will have auto stop start to help meet fuel standards. It's been proven the gas savings/emission reduction is minimal but it will still be forced on us. It has to be harder on the vehicles starter.

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Any opinions? Does this cause an acceleration delay? Is there a way to turn it off?
If your AC is on max, then the auto start stop doesn’t kick in. I always have max ac on so I don’t remember the last time it shut off my engine. If you live in a colder state, that’s probably not possible though. There is a button you can press to turn it off, however you have to push it every time you start the car. There is no permanent option to turn it off in the menus.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
The 1.5L isn’t as powerful as bigger engines but it isn’t “underpowered.” If the 1.5L was powering a mid or full size suv then it would be underpowered. Don’t pass with faster vehicles gliding up the road. That is dangerous. If you need to pass vehicles in a hurry, get a sports car.
Whether or not an engine is under-powered or not, will depend on several factors.
-Weight of vehicle
-Transmission Gearing
-Axle Gearing
-Tire Size
.... just to name a few.

Also.... for me.... whether or not a vehicle can accelerate at a acceleration factor that I'm comfortable with or not (all of the Vehicle Weight, Gearing & Tires combined) is how I decide if an engine option is or isn't acquitted For Me.

If you're perfectly happy to follow behind a Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain pass, then the 1.5L in the BS will most likely be acceptable to you.

If you don't like to follow behind a Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain pass, then the 1.5L in the BS will most likely not be acceptable for you.

Bottom line (for me) is that the vehicle that I'm driving must be able to Safely pass Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain passes (when there are other vehicles that are traveling at or below the posted speed limits passing it). It "should" be able to accelerate (not saying that it's got to "burn rubber", but it should be able to increase the MPH at more than a snail's pace) with a Full Load (max manufacturer rating) as I ascend through a mountain pass.

Test drive complete. In Colorado, definitely the 2.0 is needed! Under powered vehicles feel strained going to the mountains, not too mention if you need to accelerate in a hurry to pass a slower rv/semi/other under powered vehicles, it can be dangerous with faster vehicles gliding up the road.
Thank you for your comments. This reinforces my feelings that the BS base engine should have been the 2.0L and the upgrades engine should have been the 2.3L.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Whether or not an engine is under-powered or not, will depend on several factors.
-Weight of vehicle
-Transmission Gearing
-Axle Gearing
-Tire Size
.... just to name a few.

Also.... for me.... whether or not a vehicle can accelerate at a acceleration factor that I'm comfortable with or not (all of the Vehicle Weight, Gearing & Tires combined) is how I decide if an engine option is or isn't acquitted For Me.

If you're perfectly happy to follow behind a Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain pass, then the 1.5L in the BS will most likely be acceptable to you.

If you don't like to follow behind a Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain pass, then the 1.5L in the BS will most likely not be acceptable for you.

Bottom line (for me) is that the vehicle that I'm driving must be able to Safely pass Slow Moving Vehicle (traveling a less than posted speed limit) as it ascend through a mountain passes (when there are other vehicles that are traveling at or below the posted speed limits passing it). It "should" be able to accelerate (not saying that it's got to "burn rubber", but it should be able to increase the MPH at more than a snail's pace) with a Full Load (max manufacturer rating) as I ascend through a mountain pass.

Thank you for your comments. This reinforces my feelings that the BS base engine should have been the 2.0L and the upgrades engine should have been the 2.3L.
yes you are correct. There are factors that determine if an engine will be underpowered.

You will be able to pass vehicles that are traveling below the speed limit in the mountains.

1.5L might not be “as powerful” as you personally like. It will not be “underpowered”. The 1.5L will provide sufficient power for those factors you mentioned of the bronco sport.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I definitely don't know the ins and outs of either engine, nor am a mechanic. I just gotta ask if anyone as consistently driven I-70 outside Denver in the mountains, I say consistently because yes, a 1.5L will do, however when RVs, trailers, and semis are passing one another and you get stuck behind them, it's a chore and not fun accelerating, merging, and passing without a little gusto. Driving behavior can help, keeping speed and momentum in gear will of course keep everything smooth.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX

I'm not 100% sure on this but from what I have read, some people have been able to use FORScan to permanently disable the Auto Start/Stop...