Disable Wireless charger?

BroncoNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Is there a way to disable the Wireless charger in the Bronco Sport?

Closest I've found is talk of pulling a fuse, but unclear if its a shared fuse or just for the feature. Perhaps someone can look or even test - I've seen some smart USB accessory fuses from the internet don't know more concretely. No bronco sport to tear apart (yet).

---
Why would be interested in disabling wireless charger:
  • Phone case holds credit cards in the back. Not enough to disable charging, but enough to generate extra heat (enough to apparently melt some weaker plastics)
  • Prefer wired charging, wired carplay
  • Tried out wireless charging in general and this ain't the generation I can get behind
    • Devices mostly weren't charged - on phone that was easier to see and correct but on accessories (e.g. airpods case) much harder to discern. End result: Annoyed devices not well charged up as desired after hours on the "charge"
    • Had good success with magnetic USB-C dongles 1yr+ (despite them being technically out of spec/potential shorting out risk frying the hardware).
      • Much worse luck with USBA/B (sloppy dongles/connection more than anything).
Sponsored

Tigrzeye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Bronco Sport

Closest I've found is talk of pulling a fuse, but unclear if its a shared fuse or just for the feature. Perhaps someone can look or even test - I've seen some smart USB accessory fuses from the internet don't know more concretely. No bronco sport to tear apart (yet).

---
  • Phone case holds credit cards in the back. Not enough to disable charging, but enough to generate extra heat (enough to apparently melt some weaker plastics)
  • Tried out wireless charging in general and this ain't the generation I can get behind
    • Devices mostly weren't charged - on phone that was easier to see and correct but on accessories (e.g. airpods case) much harder to discern. End result: Annoyed devices not well charged up as desired after hours on the "charge"
    • Had good success with magnetic USB-C dongles 1yr+ (despite them being technically out of spec/potential shorting out risk frying the hardware).
Remove the rubber mat covering the wireless charger pad (lifts right out). Cut a piece of aluminum foil a bit smaller and tape to bottom of mat on the charger pad side. Replace and voila no more charging.

Bluejaye

Heritage
First Name
Jaye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Limited
Set your phone face down on the charger pad instead of back side down.
Such a simple solution, I'll have to try this!

Like the OP, I am not a fan, for many of the same reasons. Mostly because it just generates so much heat and barely charges anyway. Wired all the way for me.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands

---
Use a cup holder cell phone holder. That's what I use in my current car because I have Torque Pro monitoring in real time and like to have the display visible. I plan on using it in my BS BL also instead of just laying the phone in one of the cubbies.