Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
My OBX was built 12/7/21 and does not have the cup holder lighting.
Sponsored

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Really strange. Ford must have changed something. My OBX was built in December '20 (Hermosillo) with delivery in January '21 and has ambient lighting in the cupholders.
Same here. Built Dec 2020 and has the lighting.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Is there a chance that this wiring is present on Big Bends? I'll have a look if no one knows.
Well, I took mine apart on Saturday for a quick look, no cut wires on the cup holder and I couldn’t find any extra wire harness around, still will inspect again when my cup holder comes in, because if I have too I’ll try to find out what wire is for the blue lights on the goat mode dial and tap into that wire.

BrokenxArrow

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Hi - I love this, do you know if its possible to install on the Base model?

THANK YOU - Karen

linkovich

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Slightly OT here, but I'm getting *really* tired of Ford's cost-cutting.

I'm not surprised that Ford is quietly killing off ambient lighting in the cup holders and lighting of the START button.

The Bronco Sport and Maverick were both designed with turn signal mirrors, at least on some models. The wiring and PDM/DDM connections for the turn signal LEDs even exist on the car side of the mirror connectors, although the PDM and DDM must be enabled via Forscan, and I even have the part numbers for the factory mirror turn signal modules and their mirror caps, but they're suddenly not available anymore. Once production started, the turn signal mirrors quietly went away. And, BTW, "LED taillights" usually means the stop lights as well, which should be LED on everything Ford makes by now. An incandescent bulb as a stop lamp doesn't get texting-Tiffany's attention behind me.

My 2020 Explorer XLT's 2020 order guide, even the revised edition, clearly stated that my XLT would have mirror turn signals. It didn't. Neither did any XLT, and they were cut from other trims after 2020 as well. (I fixed that by replacing the mirror caps with the factory gloss-black Limited mirror caps and the factory turn signal modules, which required a standard 3-pin molex connector with one wire going to a common ground inside the mirror and another going to the mirror connector pin 3 using a standard TE pin I found on Mouser, then used Forscan to enable them). The 2020's turn signal mirrors also have one overworked and not-very-bright LED in each mirror, instead of the five very-visible LEDs in the 2019 and earlier mirrors.

Ford also included mirror turn signals on 2020 North American Escape Titaniums, but quitely deleted turn signal mirrors altogether on 2021 and newer North American Escapes. 2020 and newer North American Escapes never included the power-fold feature, approach lamps, and turn signals of Escapes and Kugas outside of North America, not to mention pull-out handles in the cargo area to lower the rear seats, which also have a heat option. All of those features are available on an Escape you can buy in MEXICO. Ford thinks we have no idea what Escapes have in other countries.

My neighbor has a 2019 Edge ST with a single-note horn. $56,000 for an Edge with a horn that sounds like a 1987 Cavalier. And the Edge now has no glove box light on any model, and no mirror turn signals, numeric keypad, or rear parking sensors on any trim except Titanium and higher.

And Mustang owners threw a fit when Ford deleted the turn signal mirrors on Mustangs over three years ago.

Mirror turn signals (or some form of side turn signal) are mandated in every other country on the planet except for countries in North America. They're not "luxury" items. They *safety* features.

I don't care what costs Ford has. They fired thousands of engineers and trash-canned the fairly-profitable Fusion, which still had tooling available in Flat Rock Assembly and would have continued to be a profit center. The Fusion alone sold more than Mazda's entire lineup, they kept people coming into Ford showrooms, and they didn't embarrass owners of the coolest looking and most solid mid-size sedan by telling they world they're now automotive orphans, not to mention that the new Fusion the rest of the world will see would be a welcome addition to Ford dealers who now sell just trucks, big SUVs, and an Escape that Ford absolutely *wrecked* for 2020. The Bronco Sport and Maverick are the only real bright spots in a band-aid lineup that only three years ago covered all of the bases and was, in some circles, the envy of the automotive industry.

Start cutting the thousands of idiot executives and their bonuses and golden parachutes.

And, finally, Ford: I won't buy a car that doesn't have amber rear signals, instant-on LED stop lamps, and turn signal mirrors. If you don't think that's a threat, you don't know how many there are just like me that notice every $3 item you cut while making thousands in profit on every car while you pay cost-cutters more than engineers. Your ivory tower attitude has you so isolated from your customers that you don't have a *clue* about the *damage* you're causing to Ford and its reputation, not to mention yawn-inducing advertising that barely even shows your products or makes people *desperately* want them, which [checks notes] is the whole purpose of advertising. I understand you have electric cars to design, but you should try picking the pockets of the rich instead of poking your customers in their eyes and funding your future on their dimes.

It's amazing what insanely-paid CEOs are stratospherically *incapable* of accomplishing.

End of rant. Sorry. I'll leave now. Carry on.

Last edited:

wibled

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2015 Mustang GT, 2002 T-bird
Hi ya’ll I’m new to the forum, but wanted to share a little bit of my BB experience. I got my Cactus Grey Outer Banks on December last year and noticed the cup holder wouldn’t illuminate like in other ford models. I contacted several dealers and all said the cup holder didn’t come with ambient lighting. After removal of cup holder I found wires cut and pre-set for ambient lighting, so I started my research. I ended up finding that the 2020+ Escape cup holder fits which has ambient lighting. Part #LJ6Z-7813562-FA. Now I have the full ambient lighting inside my Outer Banks and if you want to add it here it is! Attached are pics of originally equipped cup holder and the cut wires, part number, and finished product.

C3F790D5-7DF8-42A4-A7B9-9AC0C3C01CE1.jpeg

9EF4FAB3-06AA-4837-BA25-30C5C42500F5.jpeg

284D6967-5BCA-41E6-B581-2640A269AF49.jpeg
I'm pretty sure my BS Outer Banks has Ambient Lighting in the cup holders. Built June 2021.

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
It's a bummer that the ambient wiring isn't there for the 2022 models, I like that upgrade. My 2021 F-250 Lariat doesn't have the ambient lighting on the cup holders either. It doesn't have the LED headlights either which is another rant.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
It's a bummer that the ambient wiring isn't there for the 2022 models,
The ambient wiring is there on the Outer Banks, the only model that has ambient lighting.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
A big thank you to JCampos30 for figuring out the part # for the Escape cup holder and doing the leg work to see if it works. Ordered the part Saturday and it came in today. Took all of 5 minutes to take out the existing cup holders and install the new ones with the ambient lighting. Everything works as it should as far as on/off and dimming.

Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting 7EA77139-56EB-4F9A-96D7-BBE79F7EAB7C
Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting F0B5E28A-3712-4369-89FB-1AB6CFF605AA

Last edited:

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
A big thank you to JCampos30 for figuring out the part # for the Escape cup holder and doing the leg work to see if it works. Ordered the part Saturday and it came in today. Took all of 5 minutes to take out the existing cup holders and install the new ones with the ambient lighting. Everything works as it should as far as on/off and dimming.

7EA77139-56EB-4F9A-96D7-BBE79F7EAB7C.jpeg
Great, I hope my install goes as smoothly. I am just waiting for the new ambient light cup holder to arrive

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Oh yeah, one more little tiny attention to detail thing. Anyone using the Escape Ambient Light cup holder, you'll want to swap out the rubber pads in the bottom of the cup holders with your original BS ones. The originals have a pattern in them that sort of matches a bunch of stuff in the BS. The Escape ones don't. It's not exact but similar.

Original pad
Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting B8BDDAEC-E78D-4EA5-9160-5159020FAE56

Escape pad
Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting 878CD1E3-08CC-459D-A108-C99008F01030

Pattern found in Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting 69D6B19C-B967-47F9-9B8D-580A32F431EF

Ford Bronco Sport Cup Holder Ambient Lighting 2921F132-9A30-4698-93A9-10E4348C94B1

Archedamian

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge
So is the wiring there for all 2021 trims, or just some of them? Confused.
Sponsored