rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Catback system and axle back horsepower and torque gains on the 1.5?
Sponsored

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Some of the systems I've looked are very nice looking but way too expensive. Why is an axle back system $900?

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Zero.

These are MAP programmed vehicles. They don't respond to lessened exhaust pressure with a little extra horsepower like a naturally aspirated engine would. The only thing you are going to do is change the exhaust sound by swapping it out.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Some of the systems I've looked are very nice looking but way too expensive. Why is an axle back system $900?
Crazy.

I've had my eye on the Magnaflow muffler, but I haven't seen a single vendor budge off of $900. It seems like it was just 5 or 6 years ago, I was purchasing my full Borla catback for my Mustang for $500.

I think its just a symptom of the times we are now in. Everything is ridiculously expensive.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
These "cat-back" and "axle-back" systems capitalize on owner enthusiasm and marketing hyperbole to separate ignorant owners from as much of their money as they think they can get. As @gatornek and @jkeaton said, you're not likely to see any significant performance gains by simply changing the exhaust system. I've yet to see any back-to-back before-and-after dynamometer comparisons--by an independent tester, not the vendor or manufacturer--of any intake and/or exhaust system that significantly increased engine performance for an EcoBoost engine. Ford has built a reputation on mass manufacturing small-displacement engines that produce industry-leading power. The impact of intake and exhaust design for ICE engines is not the mysterious art it used to be--even we lowly owners are discussing it here on this forum--so I think it unlikely Ford's engineers failed to consider it when designing these systems for its EcoBoost line of engines.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a different sound, my recommendation is to do a bit of homework. Take some measurements of the OEM muffler(s) and contact a few reputable manufacturers for advice on replacements. You can typically purchase quality aftermarket mufflers for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated cat-/axle-back system. Once you have suitable mufflers in hand, take your car to a local muffler shop and have them professionally installed. Alternatively, just take your car to your local muffler shop and tell them what you're looking for. For a few dollars more they'll do all the measurements and tell you what's available to fit your car. Once the new mufflers are installed, Voila! you now have a new axle-back exhaust system.

Last edited:

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Crazy.

I've had my eye on the Magnaflow muffler, but I haven't seen a single vendor budge off of $900. It seems like it was just 5 or 6 years ago, I was purchasing my full Borla catback for my Mustang for $500.

I think its just a symptom of the times we are now in. Everything is ridiculously expensive.
So true. I put the Borla ATAK cat back system on my F-150 about 2 years ago and it cost $1100 and I installed it myself. Now the same system is $1500. Nuts

ohiooutdoors

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Truthfully there is little to no benefit other than sound for an axle back.

Cat backs can have some benefit provided there is a tune that comes along with it but ultimately the turbo it’s self creates back pressure so gains would still be minimal when the cat and down pipe hold the brunt of the back pressure after the turbo.

To be completely honest I’m shocked no one has come out with a downpipe or turbo back quite yet.

Unfortunately no companies have offered much aftermarket support quite yet when it comes to power adders.

When I had a couple of my other turbo vehicles (srt4, mk7 gli, 300zx, mk4 gli) it is amazing the difference just bolt ons and a can tune would do.

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Thanks, all. You saved me over $1K. I really didn't want more sound. I wanted just extra power and the look from the back.

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Truthfully there is little to no benefit other than sound for an axle back.

Cat backs can have some benefit provided there is a tune that comes along with it but ultimately the turbo it’s self creates back pressure so gains would still be minimal when the cat and down pipe hold the brunt of the back pressure after the turbo.

To be completely honest I’m shocked no one has come out with a downpipe or turbo back quite yet.

Unfortunately no companies have offered much aftermarket support quite yet when it comes to power adders.

When I had a couple of my other turbo vehicles (srt4, mk7 gli, 300zx, mk4 gli) it is amazing the difference just bolt ons and a can tune would do.
Over on the Maverick forum they have someone selling down pipes and turbo swaps for the 2.0L, I don't think anyone has dared to try to install one on the BS 2.0L

CrazyKZ

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have the 2.0 Badlands and only looking to actually ADD more sound, but I don't want the in-cab drone. Anyone know if Borla or Magnaflow claim that?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Zero.

These are MAP programmed vehicles. They don't respond to lessened exhaust pressure with a little extra horsepower like a naturally aspirated engine would. The only thing you are going to do is change the exhaust sound by swapping it out.
oooh, will it sound like a choc full of nuts coffee can tone?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
These "cat-back" and "axle-back" systems capitalize on owner enthusiasm and marketing hyperbole to separate ignorant owners of as much money as they think they can get. As @gatornek and @jkeaton said, you're not likely to see any significant performance gains by simply changing the exhaust system. I've yet to see any back-to-back before-and-after dynamometer comparisons--by an independent tester, not the vendor or manufacturer--of any intake and/or exhaust systems that significantly increased engine performance for an EcoBoost engine. Ford has built a reputation on mass manufacturing small-displacement engines that produce industry-leading power. The impact of intake and exhaust design for ICE engines is not the mysterious art it used to be--even we lowly owners are discussing it here on this forum--so I think it unlikely Ford's engineers failed to consider it when designing these systems for its EcoBoost line of engines.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a different sound, my recommendation is to do a bit of homework. Take some measurements of the OEM muffler(s) and contact a few reputable manufacturers for advice on replacements. You can typically purchase quality aftermarket mufflers for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated cat-/axle-back system. Once you have suitable mufflers in hand, take your car to a local muffler shop and have them professionally installed. Alternatively, just take your car to your local muffler shop and tell them what you're looking for. For a few dollars more they'll do all the measurements and tell you what's available to fit your car. Once the new mufflers are installed, Voila! you now have a new axle-back exhaust system.
A shop in Sanford Florida (Mr. Muffler) would charge you $50.00 to cut off your muffler(s), install various turbo and high flow mufflers, start the vehicle, and let you pick your sound. If you went with a choice, the $50.00 was waived, and you then paid for the muffler(s) you chose plus labor.

I used this shop for years and years. I think he's still in business, but I've moved away 4 years ago, so not sure.

If you go there, tell them the guy with the 71 Chevelle sent you (I had them install a 3 inch mandrel bent dual exhaust system). They cussed and swore over that kit, and begged me next time to let them build the exhaust themselves.
Sponsored

Last edited: