Bug deflectors.

Does the ford OEM bug deflectors actually have an advantage or is it overpriced plastic

• Total voters

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I wouldn't call them a bug deflector as the ones that sit flat against the front edge of the hood don't change the aerodynamics in any appreciable way. The exception is the Aeroskin II version with the riser that may possibly deflect bugs and pebbles over the windshield.
Edit, with some added thoughts: With that said, long before I got delivery of my car, I purchased the EGR bug deflector, since I did not like the idea of those bug shields that tape down snug on the hood. Previously, I had a WeatherTech on my '17 Escape which stood offset from the hood and mounted using the push pins on the underside of he front edge of the hood.
I have not installed the EGR hood deflector, now realizing that with the Redline hood struts, slamming the hood down would require flexing the EGR hood shield, which mounts similarly to the WeatherTech shield for the 3rd Gen Escape.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
If the main point is to protect from rock chips, then a pint protection film is probably your better solution. If it’s bugs, than an Areoskin II is a good choice.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid
Whether there is an advantage with regards to the number of bugs that hits the windshield depends upon the aerodynamics of the bug deflector. Some I've had do a pretty good job of deflecting bugs, others provide no benefit other than to prevent paint chips on the forward area of the hood. I don't know yet if the bug deflector on my Badlands re-routes bugs or not...

Last edited:

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
I don't plan on removing mine, so I don't care if it might possible "damage" the paint underneath. I've had these on numerous vehicles for years, never had an issue. I actually prefer the ones that mount with adhesive.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I wouldn't call them a bug deflector as the ones that sit flat against the front edge of the hood don't change the aerodynamics in any appreciable way. The exception is the Aeroskin II version with the riser that may possibly deflect bugs and pebbles over the windshield.
This is what I have (highlighted above)...I call it a bug deflector, as it does what it is designed to do.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Mahargmot

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport / 1994 ford f150
Whether there is an advantage with regards to the number of bugs that hits the windshield depends upon the aerodynamics of the bug deflector. Some I've had to a pretty good job of deflecting bugs, others provide no benefit other than to prevent paint chips on the forward area of the hood. I don't know yet if the bug deflector on my Badlands re-routes bugs or not...
I'm going to say that ford original " deflector" is more for rock chips than actually diverting the bugs. This one is so low profile I do not believe that it changes the dynamics of the wind at all

RWT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
The good news is the hoods are Aluminum and therefore won’t rust.

The 3m tape when properly applied will not easily come off but can be removed if required without causing damage.
This ^^^^

I've removed a lot of accessories, badges, etc held on with 3m tape without any paint issues. It's all in the technique: Heat, fishing line, 3M Adhesive Removal Wheel and some Cleaner Wax. Like it never happened.

RWT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Not the case in north Florida at least...May and September are love bug season (google them). They are pesty bugs that fly around and splatter onto the front grill and windshields.
And if you don't remove them quickly their guts will etch your paint! So if the deflector redirects any amount it may be worth it.

I live in S.E. Georgia, so I feel your pain.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

R W NORRIS New Mexico

Big Bend
First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have had mine on my Big Bend for 2 years now. It does work and seals to nothing gets under it. I also use an Automatic Brushless Carwash monthly and it has no effect. It does reduce the bugs and small stones. You can see the difference once it is installed.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I just installed mine and so far my main issue is because the adhesive prevents the aeroskin II from sitting 100% flush, I’m getting a shit ton of pine needles building up in the gap.

Am I supposed to run a bead of some kind of sealant down that gap? I didn’t have the instructions with it and definitely don’t want to throw on anything that will eat the clear coat.

Ford Bronco Sport Bug deflectors. IMG_4283

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I just installed mine and so far my main issue is because the adhesive prevents the aeroskin II from sitting 100% flush, I’m getting a shit ton of pine needles building up in the gap.

Am I supposed to run a bead of some kind of sealant down that gap? I didn’t have the instructions with it and definitely don’t want to throw on anything that will eat the clear coat.

It's working. It kept those pine needles from getting on your windshield!

On a serious note, once you get all the debris out of the crack, you could apply a small bead of clear silicone to keep all that crud out. It's not mentioned in the instructions that I recall, but a good idea non the less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mahargmot

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport / 1994 ford f150

Instructions doesn't state to do or not to do , user preference I suppose

Adanac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I put mine on about a week ago and have not seen much of a difference. But I only had the BS 4 or 5 day before I put the thing on. I still get bugs on window.
The bug deflectors doesn't keep ALL the bugs off your windscreen, but they do keep probably 90-95% off of it. Depends on how big of a bug swarm you run into.

Adanac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This ^^^^

I've removed a lot of accessories, badges, etc held on with 3m tape without any paint issues. It's all in the technique: Heat, fishing line, 3M Adhesive Removal Wheel and some Cleaner Wax. Like it never happened.
Aluminum will corrode though from salt. I've has a true bug deflector, not a chip protector on all my vehicles that I have had. Works for bugs and low.flying stones.

The YETI

Base
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 SCREW/2021 Mustang Shelby GT 500
I've searched the forum for this once to see if it was already a thread. However I haven't come across it yet. Got back from the local ford store with my window seal wind deflectors and front hood bug guard. In the past like my 94 ford they would get bolted on the underside of the hood. Not 3m tapped to the paint? I absolutely will not be ruining my hood for a deflector that can actually do more damage than what purpose it's supposed to serve... The design of this is not what I initially expected what so ever. Opinions? Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Sport Bug deflectors. 20240506_135624
I have had the deflector since 2022, no chips on hood or windshield since.
Sponsored