Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport badlands
Has anyone else reported an issue going through water? This happened in 2021. Was it an isolated incident? Found out the other day the wife (on her way home from work) took one of our local trails "for fun". Since there are a couple of water holes I asked if it was dried up and she said no but the water was barely up the door. Also, another time we crossed a deep, short water crossing at night. Didn't look bad but when she went in the nose dropped and almost went to the top of the front bumper, she backed up, tried a better line and went through. It was about the middle of the tire. We've never had issues and off road ALL THE TIME. Just curious if it's a "one off" or there has been others?
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Three threads now. I don't recall it being reported by anyone else, but that could be because folks paid attention to this first incident, and steered clear of water well before 20 inches.

Once you venture out and forge into deep water, let us know how it works for you.

Post pictures! Puddles don't count.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Has anyone else reported an issue going through water? This happened in 2021. Was it an isolated incident? Found out the other day the wife (on her way home from work) took one of our local trails "for fun". Since there are a couple of water holes I asked if it was dried up and she said no but the water was barely up the door. Also, another time we crossed a deep, short water crossing at night. Didn't look bad but when she went in the nose dropped and almost went to the top of the front bumper, she backed up, tried a better line and went through. It was about the middle of the tire. We've never had issues and off road ALL THE TIME. Just curious if it's a "one off" or there has been others?
I didn’t have problems the other day but the crossings were relatively short and I kept my speed up.

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It was on a public road thankfully. Here are photos of the obvious water intrusion. This ECU is mounted in a place that would be submerged during the advertised water fording depth, therefore the ECU must be designed for submersion. The ECU failed due to water intrusion. The corrison present suggests water was getting in long before it died.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084325

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084320

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210426_100954

is hard to move it up to engage bay

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Last edited:

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Great pictures.
Thanks man🙂🤙. My sliders got banged up but no problem with the water crossings even know the water level was much higher than stated online with Medano pass. Lot's of snow melt.

At the very top of the pass there was also this sinkhole that washed out the trail. Only rigs with 40s could winch through it. Lots of recovery boards too.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20230602_154658
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water FB_IMG_1685997611460

Last edited:

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My Bronco Sport Badlands died on April 10, 2021 in 20" of Water (probably less) near Moab, Utah. Ford's website claims 23.6". Here is my story on YouTube.

Here is a Sprinter going through the same spot 1 week later at about the same depth. However much faster than I went.

I unfortunately did not get any video while the BS BL was being dragged out by the Wrangler, so I have to go by where the mud in the wheel well got washed off. I also opened the door to get out in the middle of the water and it was right below the door on the driver's side. I measured that at 19".
It threw a bunch of errors on the dash and the parking brake would not disengage. The tow truck had a heck of a time getting it on and off the flat bed. Tic Tac Tow did a heck of a job getting me out of there though. I would recommend them.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water Wading Depth

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_084923

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_140640

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210411_122105
So sorry to hear that .Man, that just totally sucks. My Jeep Patriot, that I traded in on my BB edition, was rated to go thru 2 feet of water. Went thru a flooded under pass at 21" with no problems. Now you've got me worried. Hope for the best of best outcomes. Hopefully you'll get your $800 back for the tow too.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The dealer got back to me and confirmed it is the ECU / Main Computer. It is in the driver's side wheel well behind the fog light. This is not a great position for water fording. Apparently there is corrosion in the computer and a couple of the harnesses need to be replaced. ECU not only dies in water fording, but could also die in an Front End Collision. Design flaw?
WTF? Who came up with that brilliant idea ?