First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
This is really troubling, especially with it happening to others just driving in the rain...that's definitely a safety issue and should 100% be recalled and fixed for free if it isn't an isolated issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
The dealer has me up and running. I am picking it up tomorrow. Since this is warranty I am told Ford won't give me the parts. The dealer (Western Slope Ford) is going to bat for me on this to work out the cost with Ford corporate. I hope this is the end of the saga for now. Not sure if I'll get my $800 back for the tow. I am working with a friend who has experience in underwater connectors on a possible retrofit. I'll keep you all posted if we come up with something.

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
That was my thought when the OP mentioned corrosion in the first post. Takes awhile to grow the green, even in salt water. There is something that looks like mud also.
So far, however bad this is, it's the only report of this happening while water crossing. There have been several other wire harness related issues reported though that are troubling. I hope Ford is taking a hard look at their harness providers.
The technician thinks it had been happening for a while.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
The dealer has me up and running. I am picking it up tomorrow.
Great to hear. I hope its running like new and you can go out and enjoy again.

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
So Brody is up and running again. The PCM (ECU) and two harnesses were replaced. It was quite a job totalling 28 hours of tech time. Western Slope Ford got it done through warranty so my thanks go out to their team on a job well done.
I drove it back home to Denver from Grand Junction without issue. I have had one weird bug since in that auto stop start shut the whole car down and I had to put it in park and restart the car at a stop light.
Ford did not cover my towing through the warranty so now I need to go through the roadside assistance.

I am still really concerned about the placement of this ECU and I think everyone else should be too.
Thanks to Johnperrion for all the pictues and help! Thanks to everyone else for the comments!

Here is a picture from North Fruita Desert where I did a bit of offroading after picking it up. It did really well! No water though ;)

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210502_074302

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water 20210502_074408

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This makes me think that I should get some 3M 5557 or 5559 tape and tape it inside of the hood somewhere to indicate 18-24" of the ground. They should have similar things in electronics btw and be able to prove how deep you were.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
Sorry this happened to you, man. I hope it's an isolated case, but it sounds like it may not be. Will Ford re-engineer this? If not, no Sport for me. A Sport was going to be my interim solution until Broncos become more readily available, but not if they're this fragile. Unacceptable.

Zero excuse for this. I was going to hit the dealer up tomorrow and drive one of the Sports they have in stock, but not now. Disappointing.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
As I'm looking more and more...there is another plug even lower then the one in this topic...wtf

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG20210603181434

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Just another follow up on getting towing reimbursed. I submitted my claim for about $850 to the PO box on road side assistance and received a $100 check. When I called I found out Ford has a maximum reimbursement of $100 and the person on the phone said there was nothing more they could do. I was given the Ford Customer Service number again which I have had zero luck with. I think I will have to eat the $750. Thanks, Ford.

birddog2

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV Bronco Sport Badlands
That sounds fishy.
If not, should be brought to public attention, as $100 does not get much towing done.
A couple of years ago, I had to have my Jeep Cherokee towed 90 miles to the nearest Jeep dealer.
Jeep coved the $588 bill with no questions.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This thread really makes me nervous, too. Heading for CO soon for a month. I doubt I''m going to try any water crossings as we will be remote and alone. No plug-in connection should be below the advertised water crossing depth. Ford needs to get on this, but then there are a lot things they need to address right now.

Carl

Badlands
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a 2022 badlands I acquired in November. Have there been any further plug issue discussions or new threads addressing this problem?

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
The dealer has me up and running. I am picking it up tomorrow. Since this is warranty I am told Ford won't give me the parts. The dealer (Western Slope Ford) is going to bat for me on this to work out the cost with Ford corporate. I hope this is the end of the saga for now. Not sure if I'll get my $800 back for the tow. I am working with a friend who has experience in underwater connectors on a possible retrofit. I'll keep you all posted if we come up with something.
Warranty parts get returned to Ford and/or the supplier to determine why they failed.
Sponsored