2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD

Mlarv

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love it or hate it, I've notice that throughout the winter this option doesn't activate. Just curious when I read this message "engine on due to vehicle charging" is there
Ford Bronco Sport Auto Start Stop 20220312_122938
a issue I need to bring to my Ford dealer?
How far do you drive it per day? Take it on a long ride to charge the battery.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I agree with you...till gas outta hand, now I'm like eh, I can deal with it shut off at a red light lol
I thought I would hate it but I've adapted and now I merely do not like it. I do however appreciate the fuel savings however small that may be.

Now I find myself anticipating the green light and easing up on the brake pedal until the engine starts up so I don't have that lag when light goes green.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I thought I would hate it but I've adapted and now I merely do not like it. I do however appreciate the fuel savings however small that may be.

Now I find myself anticipating the green light and easing up on the brake pedal until the engine starts up so I don't have that lag when light goes green.
I hated it on my Ranger so I disabled it with forscan. It was so rough and disruptive. Don't really mind it at all on the BS. I've found that there is very little lag honestly. I use brake hold and don't really mind the quick start and go when the gas pedal is pushed. Without brake hold the engine is fully started by the time I get my foot to the gas after lifting off the brake. The 3 cylinder isn't exactly a smooth, balanced engine so I am honestly impressed with the implementation. Our Passport also has it and it is almost imperceptible on that vehicle. That Honda V6 is very smooth and quiet.

John2Names

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Love it or hate it, I've notice that throughout the winter this option doesn't activate. Just curious when I read this message "engine on due to vehicle charging" is there
Ford Bronco Sport Auto Start Stop 20220312_122938
a issue I need to bring to my Ford dealer?
Mine does this when it is Extra cold or hot outside. It is normal and a safety feature to keep your battery healthy. Not an issue.

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Well I had the appointment and this is what Ford did;

CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE AUTO STOP/START SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING DUE TO BATTERY CHARGE
C: VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. TESTED BATTERY ON ROTUNDA TESTER. BATTERY PASSED 12.65 VOLTS AND CHARGED FOR 37MINS.
TEST DROVE VEHICLE AFTER CHARGING AND AUTO START/STOP SYSTEM NOW WORKING.
CONCERN RESOLVED

I was told that the “battery state of charge” was low? What the heck is that and how do I not have this repeated issue. Was it because it being winter and running more options, ie seats, steering wheel etc and the fact that i drive short distances in a day.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
For some reason the battery wasn't getting fully charged when you drove it
I'll go back to my first guess of a loose cable. Hopefully the tech found and fixed that when put it on the charger.

OTOH, there no mention of them testing the charging system for proper operation.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I've read that it takes 5 miles of driving for the alternator to recharge the battery after a start. Newer vehicles start easier, and usually have higher output alternators, so maybe it is less than that now. l notice on my old vehicles that the battery runs down in the winter if I don't do some freeway driving. I have to put a battery charger on my vehicles occassionally during the winter to keep the battery up.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
"Was it because it being winter and running more options, ie seats, steering wheel etc and the fact that i drive short distances in a day."
That'll do it.
Oh, and forscan can make it go away. Yay!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Well I had the appointment and this is what Ford did;

CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE AUTO STOP/START SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING DUE TO BATTERY CHARGE
C: VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. TESTED BATTERY ON ROTUNDA TESTER. BATTERY PASSED 12.65 VOLTS AND CHARGED FOR 37MINS.
TEST DROVE VEHICLE AFTER CHARGING AND AUTO START/STOP SYSTEM NOW WORKING.
CONCERN RESOLVED

I was told that the “battery state of charge” was low? What the heck is that and how do I not have this repeated issue. Was it because it being winter and running more options, ie seats, steering wheel etc and the fact that i drive short distances in a day.
Good afternoon, Lee! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these auto start/stop and battery concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i turn mine off as soon as i start the BS. ive never seen that particular message on dash, but i know during the winter it would just stay running anyways.

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
As others have stated, running heated seats, heated steering wheel, and climate control all put a pretty hefty load on the battery. I got the 'battery charging' message and the disabled auto start/stop (ASS) often, but as it warms up and I dont use any of the above as much, ASS happens much more often.

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Good afternoon, Lee! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these auto start/stop and battery concerns for you on my end. Thanks!
Hello,

Can you confirm that your Ford? Just don't know if giving the information is safe.

Lee

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
4 weeks now with new BS BL. 30 minute drive... 105 degrees outside... A/C on... hit several stoplights... engine never stopped! Must have been too hot to engage.
Sponsored