nhchemist

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, S2000, Bronco Sport Badlands
This morning it was 31° F at home. I started my BSBL and went shopping. On the way there I noted that the A/C dashboard indicator was on. This has been an ongoing problem for months. The A/C turns itself on when not wanted or needed. Having had enough, I pulled the compressor clutch fuse and stuck upside down in an unused fuse slot. Why does the A/C keep turning itself on?
Sponsored

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
This morning it was 31° F at home. I started my BSBL and went shopping. On the way there I noted that the A/C dashboard indicator was on. This has been an ongoing problem for months. The A/C turns itself on when not wanted or needed. Having had enough, I pulled the compressor clutch fuse and stuck upside down in an unused fuse slot. Why does the A/C keep turning itself on?
Do you have automatic heat and cooling , it is regulated by temp that you set it on , check your temperature, on the dials.
Ford Bronco Sport Air Conditioning Running in Freezing Weather 0220B915-C9CF-4E02-8506-0F2EB3EE9199

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
If you are on Auto Climate the indicator is simply pointing out that the A/C compressor may turn on if needed, say for dehumidification. The light doesn’t mean the compressor is actually running.

Use the force Luke… trust the Auto Climate.

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Most newer cars will automatically turn the A/C on when you engage defrost mode. This is for humid climates as the A/C actually de-humidifies the air being pumped in, making your windshield defrosting more effective.

If you don't live/operate in a humid climate, just turn it off. If you're using the automatic start, there are selections in the vehicle menu on your dash that can let you turn this on/off.

As a side note- my old 2017 escape had a service bulletin out to run the A/C compressor for at least 20 minutes every month in order to keep it operational. Something about the oil inside needing circulating or some such.

OP
OP
nhchemist

nhchemist

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, S2000, Bronco Sport Badlands
The "Auto" button is not lit, so I assume I have manual control. I also have blower motor control which is indicative of manual control. Being an old guy, I prefer to control the heat/cool manually. I hate being told how to drive/how to be comfortable by my vehicle. On older vehicles, the A/C did not run when the temperature was in the 40's.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
As mentioned, for drier air. I have had owner's manuals instruct to turn on AC with defroster.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The "Auto" button is not lit, so I assume I have manual control. I also have blower motor control which is indicative of manual control. Being an old guy, I prefer to control the heat/cool manually. I hate being told how to drive/how to be comfortable by my vehicle. On older vehicles, the A/C did not run when the temperature was in the 40's.
Maybe not. My "Auto" button hasn't been lit the last few days when I was in the Bronco early in the morning, but the heat was coming out of the vents. Later in the afternoon, the Auto button still wasn't lit, but the AC light had come on and I was getting cold air.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
As others have stated, the AC system will turn on (button lights) if it 'thinks' the cabin air might need to be dehumidified. Yes, it only means the system is active, not that the compressor is engaged. Yes it will engage and blow cold air if your selected temp isn't high enough. It will also blow warm air if you turn up the temp. I think, and I think I noticed it one time -- the AC system (and light) will not turn on automatically in some instances (but I could be mistaken, I was watching for this and think I only noticed it 1x). You can always press the button to turn it OFF. But, running it for defogging/defrosting is normal too -- though that seems to be all the time, sometimes... ;-p (Hoses and seals might dry out too, if not used.)

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Also keep in mind that even in winter, the A/C compressor should run from time to time... this keeps things lubricated internally. I've head its "bad" not to run your A/C all winter long because of this. Plus, as others have said the A/C also helps dehumidify the interior.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl