First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I emailed 5 star about tunes for my SCT BDX tuner to use on my BS and they emailed me this dyno sheet. Very impressive. Stock is about 150hp and 195lb ft to the wheels and the 93 octane is 205hp and about 260lb ft. That is incredibly impressive. Even the 87 tune gave gains of about 25hp and 30lb ft. I'll be ordering a few tunes including the 93 in the near future and I will report back here with my impressions.

Ford Bronco Sport 5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet 93 perf vs 87 perf vs Stock Bronco Sport 1.5L
Very interesting🤤

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
Very interesting🤤
I actually got around to plugging in the BDX and getting the strategy info the other day. Will be ordering the tunes within the next month and will report here on the results.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I actually got around to plugging in the BDX and getting the strategy info the other day. Will be ordering the tunes within the next month and will report here on the results.
Awesome. Keep us posted :)

I'm okay with getting premium gas to make this happen.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone here ever tried or heard of Thornton Chip Tuning? They offer their stage 3 for the 1.5L Bronco Sport for $90.00.
I'm skeptical of any vendor that advertises fuel economy gains by reprogramming the PCM. Power gains? Sure. All you have to do is relax the safeguards and protections programmed into the OEM software. But better fuel economy?

The manufacturer collected data over literally hundreds of thousands of hours. That data is the basis of the fuel economy optimization strategy built in to the OEM code. What does Thornton (or any other code vendor) know about optimizing fuel economy on these engines that Ford doesn't?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I'm skeptical of any vendor that advertises fuel economy gains by reprogramming the PCM.
A lot of turbo engines are tuned on the rich side from the factory to reduce risk of engine damage from running lean. Some tunes lean out to get better air to fuel ratio and better economy provided you keep foot out of it (not likely). However now the margin for error is removed. If one goes that route they should monitor air fuel ratio with guage mounted in drivers view to avoid engine damage.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
A lot of turbo engines are tuned on the rich side from the factory to reduce risk of engine damage from running lean. Some tunes lean out to get better air to fuel ratio and better economy provided you keep foot out of it (not likely). However now the margin for error is removed. If one goes that route they should monitor air fuel ratio with guage mounted in drivers view to avoid engine damage.
I agree, Bill, that turbo engines often run richer than their normally aspirated cousins, but only at higher power settings. Below 65% power demand you cannot cause engine damage with a too lean mixture (more below). 65% power for the 1.5L engine is right around 125 hp. You need far less than that for highway cruising, which is where you get the best fuel mileage. How much power do you need? It's far less than most people think.

During cruise on a flat highway with no wind, for example, most modern automobiles require less than 30 horsepower (depending on vehicle weight, drag coefficient, tire rolling resistance, etc.). Even if you say for argument's sake our brick-like Bronco Sports require 50 hp, that's still far less than 65% of maximum power. What's so special about 65% power? The reason turbocharged engines are programmed with richer mixtures than normally aspirated engines at higher power settings is to protect against detonation, which results from high pressure and heat--both features of engines that use a turbocharger to achieve maximum power. But there is less heat and pressure at lower power output, even with turbocharged engines. Internal combustion engines simply do not generate the kind of heat and pressure required to cause detonation at power outputs below 65% of maximum power output.

So, at cruise speeds, where power required is far, far below maximum, mixture may be set at any ratio you like without fear of damaging the engine; it's just an exercise in finding the most efficient mixture to produce the power required. I just can't see how an engine control software vendor can possibly improve on the mixture strategy set by a manufacturer with data from hundreds of thousands of test miles, especially one that is motivated to get the maximum possible efficiency out of its engine.

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I got the tunes. Had a couple issues initially with the tunes not actually loading into the vehicle. 5 star was awesome and worked with me and got it fixed. First tried the 87 tune yesterday. Immediately noticeable change. Feels kind of like sport mode performance wise but does not hold the gears like sport mode does. Another thing I notice is that it doesn't lug as much, meaning it does not get to such a low rpm while cruising that it has that vibration. Idle at stoplights seems to be a little higher to prevent the same vibration. Downshifts seem a little easer to achieve too. This morning I loaded the 89 octane tune but haven't driven it. I will run this tank down and then fill with 91 and try the 91 tune in a couple weeks.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Or one of these. My daughter has one and boy howdy, that thing has some giddyap!

Ford Bronco Sport 5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet 2020-bmw-x5-m-140-1582911136
Will she follow you on your next off roading trip on that one? Most of those "SUV's" will not even roll over gravel. Most of the people that buys an AWD or 4X4, at least here in Puerto Rico, buys it because the pot holes, to feel "safer" on the road, or to look cool during the "chinchorreo" not for its real capabilities. (BTW, chinchorreo is an activity on sundays in PR, were a bunch of "friends" go hopping to old shack bars on the country side of the Island. And because it is on the moutainous part you must go on Jeeps, CanAms or bikes.)

Bronco-Sport

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Ok I got the tunes. Had a couple issues initially with the tunes not actually loading into the vehicle. 5 star was awesome and worked with me and got it fixed. First tried the 87 tune yesterday. Immediately noticeable change. Feels kind of like sport mode performance wise but does not hold the gears like sport mode does. Another thing I notice is that it doesn't lug as much, meaning it does not get to such a low rpm while cruising that it has that vibration. Idle at stoplights seems to be a little higher to prevent the same vibration. Downshifts seem a little easer to achieve too. This morning I loaded the 89 octane tune but haven't driven it. I will run this tank down and then fill with 91 and try the 91 tune in a couple weeks.
I know this is from late spring- curious for your impressions now that you’ve had a few months to test things out. Are you happy with the performance? How was fuel efficiency effected? Do you have a particular tune you prefer?

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is from late spring- curious for your impressions now that you’ve had a few months to test things out. Are you happy with the performance? How was fuel efficiency effected? Do you have a particular tune you prefer?
Currently running the 91 octane tune since early summer. Kind of a bad time to run premium all the time but I have had it for 10 months now and only have 6000 miles so I don't really drive a lot. For some reason I had it in my head that premium around here was 91 octane so that's what I chose. It is actually 92 at most places so I am going to see if they can revise this one for 92. Not sure if it will make much of a difference though. I can say that the gains are very noticeable. Particularly torque off the line and the general availability of torque when you need it. It always feels like the turbo is spooled up and ready to go. I wish I had the ability to drive a badlands as a comparison to see how close these tunes get it to the feel of the 2.0's performance. It is definitely faster than our Passport which is a 280hp V6 but it has 4200 pounds to haul around. Gas mileage is about the same, 24-25 around town. Last weekend did about a 400 mile round trip to Auburn and got 29 mpg for the trip at about 77mph most of the time. Even the 87 octane tune had noticeable gains but I am going to just keep the 91/92 tune on for the forseeable future.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Currently running the 91 octane tune since early summer. Kind of a bad time to run premium all the time but I have had it for 10 months now and only have 6000 miles so I don't really drive a lot. For some reason I had it in my head that premium around here was 91 octane so that's what I chose. It is actually 92 at most places so I am going to see if they can revise this one for 92. Not sure if it will make much of a difference though. I can say that the gains are very noticeable. Particularly torque off the line and the general availability of torque when you need it. It always feels like the turbo is spooled up and ready to go. I wish I had the ability to drive a badlands as a comparison to see how close these tunes get it to the feel of the 2.0's performance. It is definitely faster than our Passport which is a 280hp V6 but it has 4200 pounds to haul around. Gas mileage is about the same, 24-25 around town. Last weekend did about a 400 mile round trip to Auburn and got 29 mpg for the trip at about 77mph most of the time. Even the 87 octane tune had noticeable gains but I am going to just keep the 91/92 tune on for the forseeable future.
how does the tune work with goat modes. Do you still have them has options to use after loading a tune?
Sponsored