5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Not saying anything about 5 Star.
I'm just skeptical, I think the 1.5 Dragon EcoBoost is already towards the upper end of its power output, and getting another 35% more horsepower out of a stock 1.5 BS engine at the rear wheels no less by using juat a tuner doesn't make sense at the moment. Maybe there is more to it.
I have seen gains like that out of Cummings diesels in Ram trucks, those engines are underrated and do have more to give. So it is possible in some applications.
People have shoved Fiestas north of 300hp before with the dragon engine. I don’t imagine it would last as long, however.
if we could get a decent diesel in there, tuned it would be amazing.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
5-Star is a reputable outfit. They are not going to publish false info and ruin their business. There are lots of dynos out there than can call them out on this if it's untrue.
But they have no clue if the engine service life will be shorter or by how much.
It reminds me of back in the day, boring out an engine, installing bigger pistons had a limit, a fine line.
Gains on this tiny 1.5L like we see with this tune are similar in ratio to the very edge of the gains back in the day.
When engine life would be shortened greatly. Back then Replacing an over bored blown V-8 was not that expensive.
You ruin one of these 1.5L’s and your out $6 grand or more.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Engine Long Block
Part #: 6006

Ford Bronco Sport 5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet {filename}

Usage: Gaskets And Additional Parts Must Be Purchased Separately, Includes Oil Pan, Valve Covers, Front Cover & Water Pump, 10/26/2020, BRONCO SPORT (C4 Read more
Section: Service Engine and Short Block
Most parts available next business day.
Pick up only
Your Price: $3,863.45
MSRP: $4,066.79
Core Charge: $1,000.00

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I just don't get it , if someone purchases a BS & wants a race car , why buy a BS . I know some of the younger crowd want to get all the HP from any vehicle they buy , but man , there are so many better choices for a faster Truck/SUV or what ever ,then the BS three cylinder .

To each their own . Its your $$$$

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I know in past 5 Star offered engine warranty for extra cost. But its not just engine that gets stressed from big jump in power the trans, axles, differentials ect will all experience more strain. And Ford is easily able to tell if a tune was or is installed and they will be quick to void warranty.

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I just don't get it , if someone purchases a BS & wants a race car , why buy a BS . I know some of the younger crowd want to get all the HP from any vehicle they buy , but man , there are so many better choices for a faster Truck/SUV or what ever ,then the BS three cylinder .

To each their own . Its your $$$$
It's not really that. It is just nice to have a little more power if needed. The most important part of the tunes for both the ranger and the civic were the other parameters like throttle response. In the case of the Civic, the first tune I tried was with stock boost and even then it was like a whole different car. As far as the 93 tune for the BS, even if I use that tune I am not going to drive it hard at all times. But being able to scoot when needed is nice. That being said, I've found the 1.5 to have surprisingly good power. The dynograph shows why. It makes a lot more stock torque than the specs indicate. Still, even the gains in the 87 tune will make a noticable difference day to day.

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I know in past 5 Star offered engine warranty for extra cost. But its not just engine that gets stressed from big jump in power the trans, axles, differentials ect will all experience more strain. And Ford is easily able to tell if a tune was or is installed and they will be quick to void warranty.
They still offer the warranty. To me that means they feel their tunes are safe and within what the vehicle can handle. Still you are going to find plenty of idiots that drive them hard all the time. I am going to start by just using the 87 tune and see how that feels day to day. May not even use the other ones but who knows.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
But they have no clue if the engine service life will be shorter or by how much.
It reminds me of back in the day, boring out an engine, installing bigger pistons had a limit, a fine line.
Gains on this tiny 1.5L like we see with this tune are similar in ratio to the very edge of the gains back in the day.
When engine life would be shortened greatly. Back then Replacing an over bored blown V-8 was not that expensive.
You ruin one of these 1.5L’s and your out $6 grand or more.
No one knows what the long-term effects will be on this engine in this vehicle, and it's safe to assume service life would be shorter for those few people who actually keep a vehicle that long.

There's a reason why Ford chose the stock tuning. So it's a risk that means you may have to "pay to play". People not comfortable with that should not modify their vehicles. This is no different than in the past.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
They still offer the warranty. To me that means they feel their tunes are safe and within what the vehicle can handle. Still you are going to find plenty of idiots that drive them hard all the time. I am going to start by just using the 87 tune and see how that feels day to day. May not even use the other ones but who knows.
In general the 5 Star tunes are conservative. You can get other tunes that provide bigger gains at a higher risk. 5 Star tries to provide some margin away from the edge. They are not trying to be a get the utmost power gains possible type of vendor.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
The exact same thing can be said about bigger heavier tires and lift kits. That will strain stuff as well.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
those #s seem legit. also, i don't think there are any aftermarket turbos for this thing yet (i could be wrong) but doubtful there is an upgrade yet.

tunes not only increase power easily on boosted vehicles, but can be a healthy upgrade to the vehicle. my civic si ran hondata flashpro, and it upped the power for my full bolt-ons, smoothed out idle, and believe it or not increased fuel mileage. from the factory, vehicles are given a generic tune. they dont consider elevations, climate etc. everytime i would do a datalog (10 in total) and they sent revisions, the car just ran better and better until my tuner was totally happy and eveything was safe.

however as others mentioned above, i wouldnt waste my time on a tuner for this platform. too new, and i have extended warranty. thats just me tho. once i find another civic for a summer toy then the tuning will commence. the bronco sport is for utilitarian duty and camping.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thanks I was curious between using 87 and 93 premium...as the manual recommends premium. Does anyone know if premium also increase your MPG?
Some have reported better mileage with premium, but the science doesn't support such claims. Fuel economy is based on power created over time. To get better mileage you need better engine efficiency, a fuel with more BTUs (British Thermal Units--the measure of power available), or both. Premium fuel does not contain significantly more BTUs per gallon than regular, so there would have to be measurable gains in engine efficiency when using premium fuel. No manufacturer claims better efficiency using premium fuel because that's not the reason manufacturers recommend the use of premium.

Premium fuel's advantage over regular is it requires greater heat/pressure to ignite. Regular fuel ignites at lower temperature/pressure than premium, which means it is more prone to detonation (ping or knock). When the PCM (powertrain control module--the engine's brain) senses detonation, which usually occurs at high power demand, it reduces boost and changes the fuel/timing map to limit power output. Since premium is less prone to knock, the PCM does not have to intervene as soon, which means the engine may produce more power.

All of this is to say the engine operates no differently on regular vs premium until you get to very high power demand--essentially full throttle. Since the overwhelming majority of driving time is at less than full throttle I don't see how premium can produce a significant difference in fuel economy.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine Long Block
Part #: 6006

Ford Bronco Sport 5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet {filename}

Usage: Gaskets And Additional Parts Must Be Purchased Separately, Includes Oil Pan, Valve Covers, Front Cover & Water Pump, 10/26/2020, BRONCO SPORT (C4 Read more
Section: Service Engine and Short Block
Most parts available next business day.
Pick up only
Your Price: $3,863.45
MSRP: $4,066.79
Core Charge: $1,000.00
Don't forget labor and a rental car for as long as it takes to get an engine delivered and installed.

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
IMHO, I don’t see any practical reason to “ soup up “ the Bronco Sport. I’ve had mine a month it has 700 miles and have been babying it but today I thought I’d put it to the test.
I used sport mode in the city and it was very responsive, on the highway in normal mode it didn’t work hard at all running 80 to 90 MPH very impressive.
I also have a 2020 Mustang EB that has the Ford performance tune that brings the HP up to 330 HP and that’s all the power I need for driving on public roads.
It’s amazing what Ford has done with the EB power trains.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a 2020 Mustang EB that has the Ford performance tune that brings the HP up to 330 HP and that’s all the power I need for driving on public roads.
It’s amazing what Ford has done with the EB power trains.
The EcoBoost Mustang is a marvelous engineering feat. 300+ hp and 30+ mpg is almost unbelievable. I traded my 6-spd manual 2017 for the BS because the BS will take us places the Mustang can't, but I'll miss it.

Believe it or not, I believe the BS with the 2.0L auto trans would give my old Mustang a run for its money. The 10-spd auto really brought the EB Mustang into its own.
Sponsored