WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I emailed 5 star about tunes for my SCT BDX tuner to use on my BS and they emailed me this dyno sheet. Very impressive. Stock is about 150hp and 195lb ft to the wheels and the 93 octane is 205hp and about 260lb ft. That is incredibly impressive. Even the 87 tune gave gains of about 25hp and 30lb ft. I'll be ordering a few tunes including the 93 in the near future and I will report back here with my impressions.

Ford Bronco Sport 5 star tuning 1.5L dyno sheet 93 perf vs 87 perf vs Stock Bronco Sport 1.5L
Sponsored

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
That looks like it's changing the torque curve drastically. Or am I reading this wrong?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That looks like it's changing the torque curve drastically. Or am I reading this wrong?
The curves are similar; it's the peak numbers that have changed drastically. The dashed lines are torque numbers: black is stock, red is tuned on 93 octane, aqua is tuned on 87 octane. The curves are all very similar, showing a rapid increase in torque at around 2100 rpm with peak achieved just before or just after 2500 rpm followed by a steady decrease across the rev range to redline RPM.

The peak numbers are much higher for the tune running on 93 octane (the red dashed line). 260 peak torque is a +30% increase over stock.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I use 5-Star tunes in my V-10. They are great to work with, I think you'll be super happy.

TnyM

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 Chevy c10, '22 Bronco Sport BL
Woah... Do they do one for the 2.0? Is that reliable power? Quite the boost.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I used to be into Harleys and dyno tuning sheets. Variations between 87 @ 93 oct. and various fuel remapping like this on V twins, V-4’s various sport bikes and some V-8’s in hot rods.
I have never seen such aggressive increases with just a flash tune/ fuel remap without intake and exhaust modifications at the very minimums.
I would have to be there in person with the tuner running his machine and see the printout for my self before I’d be able to believe the numbers on these charts.
I have a real problem with that wide of a distance between the fuel octane numbers.
That top red broken line is the one I have a problem with.
I call BS…..
If it was down in the 220 range I might bite, but as soon as I got it done I’d re dyno with someone else.
Are Ford numbers taken at the rear wheel or the transmission out put shaft ?
These are all at the wheel/wheels of our Baby Broncos,, with the 1.5L.
~~~~~,,,,,,
I was told by a tuner many of us trusted any tuner can get most any set of numbers he wants depending on how the machine is set up…..
I’d hope one of you guys know a trusted local tuner who could mount your sport up and verify these numbers.
The sheets posted here looks at the very least like a better turbo unit was bolted in.. just sayin,,,,,

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Turbo engines can get huge increases in hp and tq because they can increase boost and adjust fuel curve to match. So it is very common to see huge increases with nothing more then a tune. Vehicle manufactures put very conservative tunes from factory to avoid warranty claims.

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo engines can get huge increases in hp and tq because they can increase boost and adjust fuel curve to match. So it is very common to see huge increases with nothing more then a tune. Vehicle manufactures put very conservative tunes from factory to avoid warranty claims.
This right here. The canned Ranger 93 tune that came with my SCT BDX was +60hp and +67lb ft. which is about 330hp and 377lb ft. You could really feel the difference. Prior to that I had a Honda Civic. Stock it was 174hp and 162lb ft. The ktuner 21 psi stage 2 tune was approximately 220hp and 250lb ft. It was a cvt which is hard to dyno but there were sheets out there from a manual that showed those gains. The torque was pretty crazy and very noticeable. 250lb ft was probably the safe limit for the cvt and I did not drive it hard at all times. As far as the BS goes, we know the 8 speed can handle 277 lb ft with the 2.0 so the transmission isn't a worry.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hard to believe those results from basically changing the fueling and timing on a stock 1.5 BS engine.
I would have to see it to believe it.

As it is, the 1.5 EcoBoost engine puts out decent numbers for it's size and will hopefully last 100k miles, which it may or may not as other EcoBoost engines have shown.
I can only imagine what adding more juice would do to the longevity of the engine if it could put out those tuner numbers, somethings got to give.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
5-Star is a reputable outfit. They are not going to publish false info and ruin their business. There are lots of dynos out there than can call them out on this if it's untrue.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks I was curious between using 87 and 93 premium...as the manual recommends premium. Does anyone know if premium also increase your MPG?

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hard to believe those results from basically changing the fueling and timing on a stock 1.5 BS engine.
I would have to see it to believe it.

As it is, the 1.5 EcoBoost engine puts out decent numbers for it's size and will hopefully last 100k miles, which it may or may not as other EcoBoost engines have shown.
I can only imagine what adding more juice would do to the longevity of the engine if it could put out those tuner numbers, somethings got to give.
It's not just timing and fueling. It is upping the boost pressure which you can do with higher octane fuels since it resists detonation better than lower octane fuels. That is why the 93 gains are so significant. On 87 you can't up the psi on the boost very much before you start to get knock. The most surprising thing is that the turbo on these cars is pretty small so those gains are impressive.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not saying anything about 5 Star.
I'm just skeptical, I think the 1.5 Dragon EcoBoost is already towards the upper end of its power output, and getting another 35% more horsepower out of a stock 1.5 BS engine at the rear wheels no less by using juat a tuner doesn't make sense at the moment. Maybe there is more to it.
I have seen gains like that out of Cummings diesels in Ram trucks, those engines are underrated and do have more to give. So it is possible in some applications.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There is more to the tuner than just fuel and timing, I thought so. The tune changes the turbo boost and the blow off as well, now it makes sense. The tuner does all the hot rod tricks electronically. That's a hefty power increase considering the sizing of the stock turbo.

OP
OP
WinTech

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is more to the tuner than just fuel and timing, I thought so. The tune changes the turbo boost and the blow off as well, now it makes sense. The tuner does all the hot rod tricks electronically. That's a hefty power increase considering the sizing of the stock turbo.

Exactly. I am not sure what the stock and tuned boost pressures are on the Dragon, but on the Civic, stock boost is 16.5 psi and the stage 2 tune that I ran was 21psi. That was just the built in canned tune without messing with any of the options available with the software. I am going to order an 87, 89 and 93 tune from 5 star for my Bronco Sport.
Sponsored