2022 Badlands Order / Communications from Ford

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I’m surprised your dealer gave you a hard time about warranty work. It’s all charged to the factory so it really no skin off their backs unless they are short staffed in their service department. My local Ford dealer seems to thrive on servicing even non Ford’s. Service departments are normally big revenue generators.
That's a logical assumption. I used to think the same thing -- why turn down work?

I'm not in the business, but from reading forums over the years (and car magazines before that) my understanding is that the mfr pays a much lower labor rate, and also pays less for parts.

Apparently that bothers many/most dealers. Their fight is really with the mfr, but they take their anger out on customers.

"You didn't buy this car here. Hit the road!"
Sponsored

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
That's a logical assumption. I used to think the same thing -- why turn down work?

I'm not in the business, but from reading forums over the years (and car magazines before that) my understanding is that the mfr pays a much lower labor rate, and also pays less for parts.

Apparently that bothers many/most dealers. Their fight is really with the mfr, but they take their anger out on customers.

"You didn't buy this car here. Hit the road!"
Yeah, they get paid at a lower rate for warranty work, which some don't like. Some dealers are already overbooked so they don't really have the capacity for it. They'd rather sell high margin (high labor rate) work to their loyal customers who keep coming back. They should still do the work (technically they're somewhat required to do warranty work by the dealer franchise agreement), but they don't enjoy it.

Some dealers are also more generous with things like loaner cars if you bought yours from there.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
How did the Badlands pickup at Granger go?

I have a question about the $1,000 custom order bonus cash:
https://www.ford.com/custom-order/#5

How can we determine if that offer was in effect on a given date in the past? In our case, Dec. 17.

The salesman didn't mention the $1,000, so I figured it didn't apply. After all, the BS was/is a high demand vehicle -- there's no reason for Ford to offer incentives. Still, the BS is included at the link above -- I just don't know about December.
My flight was cancelled Saturday morning so I had to put it off until tomorrow. Was planning on just renting a car one way but that is no longer an option in my area right now.

As far as I know, the 1k rebate has been in effect for over 6 months. I can check tomorrow while I’m there if there was a lapse in December but I don’t think there was.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My flight was cancelled Saturday morning so I had to put it off until tomorrow. Was planning on just renting a car one way but that is no longer an option in my area right now.

As far as I know, the 1k rebate has been in effect for over 6 months. I can check tomorrow while I’m there if there was a lapse in December but I don’t think there was.
Sounds good!

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind asking about the $1k rebate that would be helpful.

I hope everything goes smoothly.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, they get paid at a lower rate for warranty work, which some don't like. Some dealers are already overbooked so they don't really have the capacity for it. They'd rather sell high margin (high labor rate) work to their loyal customers who keep coming back. They should still do the work (technically they're somewhat required to do warranty work by the dealer franchise agreement), but they don't enjoy it.

Some dealers are also more generous with things like loaner cars if you bought yours from there.
I understand why they may not like doing warranty work. I can't say I blame them, but they did sign a contract saying they would.

My position is that the mfrs and dealers need to come to an agreement and stick to it. They shouldn't drag the customers into their fight.

The mfrs have always claimed that owners can go to any dealer for warranty repairs, period. However, that claim does not match reality.

I can actually sympathize with the dealers (some of them) to an extent. Let's say Dealer A tries to run an honest, ethical business and not pull any tricks to boost profit (add-ons; last minute ADM/extortion; excessive fees; above market interest rates). That means they have to sell for a higher advertised (honest/up-front) price.

Another dealership, B (that may also be ethical) sells online and may not have the overhead A has. They also do not have to do warranty work on most of the cars they sell.

So a customer buys from the online dealer (B) and then takes her car to dealer A for warranty service.

The customer did absolutely nothing wrong. Neither did dealer B. However, it's understandable that dealer A might not be happy about the situation. From their point of view, the customer bought online to save money and now dealer A is stuck doing low profit margin repairs.

So what can be done to eliminate (or reduce) the conflicts when everyone is within their rights? I'd suggest that the mfrs pay the dealers more for warranty work. Maybe not full retail, but an amount that most dealers would accept, without having a bad attitude.

If the mfrs refuse to pay more, then maybe they should make it clear that dealers are not required to do warranty repairs. Dealers should prominently post signs stating that they refuse to perform warranty repairs on any vehicle not sold by them.

One thing's for sure, the current situation causes a lot of hard feelings and unnecessary stress. You'd think the mfrs would want to avoid that.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge

Any news on
The December bonus cash on ordering a BS?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any news on
Good question.

It would be nice if there was a website where buyers could enter any date and get a list of all incentives, rebates, promo financing, etc., that were in effect at that time, for all Ford vehicles.

As it is we're in the dark and must rely on the dealers to tell us.

It would be helpful to know ahead of time, to be able to weigh the options (if any) and determine a bottom line price.

Juliet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Any news on
I ordered on 12/2/21 and was told I'd get the $1000 bonus cash . . . vehicle hasn't been scheduled yet.

Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge
We ordered in mid December and hadn't heard anything soni called the dealer today. They checked and said it hasn't been scheduled for production yet due to ABS brakes and full size spare being unavailable. Not good news but at least news.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
We ordered in mid December and hadn't heard anything soni called the dealer today. They checked and said it hasn't been scheduled for production yet due to ABS brakes and full size spare being unavailable. Not good news but at least news.
My dealer today said my order was unscheduled/clean and that there were no commodity constraints or parts holds. Hmm.

Juliet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Just received this . . . first update, if you can even call it that, since confirmation on 12/2/21.

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 Badlands Order / Communications from Ford Screenshot_20220318-202659_Yahoo Mail

Last edited:

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
And yet dealers have Badlands in stock. Something ain't right with that.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received this . . . first update, if you can even call it that, since confirmation on 12/2/21.

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 Badlands Order / Communications from Ford Screenshot_20220318-202659_Yahoo Mail
They must have read your last post (#113). <j/k>

It's really strange how much the time frame varies. I received confirmation the day we ordered (Dec 17) and on Jan 30 I got an email saying the BL (also Cactus Gray) was scheduled for production the week of Feb 14 -- later bumped to 2/21, then 2/28. On March 3 I got the email saying it was built.

Now the dealer says it's still in Mexico. Actually Ford's estimated delivery window is March 31 to April 6, so I guess the fact that it is still in Mexico isn't surprising.

The only options we ordered were the tow package and the cross bars for the roof. I wonder if that has something to do with it. That would make sense, but then I've seen loaded Bronco Sports get delivered faster.

I don't blame you for getting tired of waiting.

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Shame on the recent notices. Nothing today for me notification wise, so still scheduled for 4-11. It is not the 360+ or the premium holding things up. Bc ours has both. So guess it's towing or moonroof related.
Sponsored