2022 Badlands Order / Communications from Ford

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
When I bought my 2006 Escape, I got it through the Z plan plus 4000 in rebates. 3000 end of year and 1000 for financing through Ford. Came ended up being more than 6K off. The Badlands is coming from Granger. 6% off invoice plus 1K custom order cash. Not as good as the Z plan plus 4K in rebates but better than most offers these days. Plus Granger is an awesome dealer!
How did the Badlands pickup at Granger go?

I have a question about the $1,000 custom order bonus cash:
https://www.ford.com/custom-order/#5

How can we determine if that offer was in effect on a given date in the past? In our case, Dec. 17.

The salesman didn't mention the $1,000, so I figured it didn't apply. After all, the BS was/is a high demand vehicle -- there's no reason for Ford to offer incentives. Still, the BS is included at the link above -- I just don't know about December.

Needless to say, I hope it's as Moltenburn said in post #82 (above) -- buyers receive any bonus/incentive/etc. in effect at the time of order AND at delivery. One of the FAQs at the link above says:

"Ford can provide certain incentives for customer-placed orders. Ordering customers will be eligible for qualifying incentives at the time of order placement or qualifying incentives at the time of final delivery, whichever is preferred."

Now I'm curious as to what the actual deal is.

Either way, we need to know how to determine which offers were in effect on Dec. 17th.
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my mind one in the same. I feel like the discount was offered Dec and Jan to any one who did a custom order with their dealer. I signed a sales order so I know I am locked in.
Sounds good.

I wrote my post above (#91) before I saw your reply.

For your sake and mine I hope you are correct about the deal being locked down. As I posted elsewhere, opinions about signed sales orders are all over the map.

First of all, the sales orders I've seen say "This is not an invoice". That alone probably means it's not an enforceable contract -- regardless of who signs it, even the dealer principal.

The invoice issue aside, there seems to be broad agreement that if only the buyer(s) signs, it is not binding.

The greatest variation in opinion is over whether a sales order/order summary that is signed by the buyer and the sales manager (or a higher level employee) constitutes a legal contract. Some insist that it does, others say no, because it is still just a sales order.

IDK what to think, but at this point I'm done worrying about it. Our local dealer has a good rep. I doubt they will try to extort us. If something does go sideways we plan to order from Granger -- we have family out there.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Sounds good.

For your sake and mine I hope you are correct about the deal being locked down. As I posted elsewhere, opinions about signed sales orders are all over the map.

First of all, the sales orders I've seen say "This is not an invoice". That alone probably means it's not an enforceable contract -- regardless of who signs it, even the dealer principal.

The invoice issue aside, there seems to be broad agreement that if only the buyer(s) signs, it is not binding.

The greatest variation in opinion is over whether a sales order/order summary that is signed by the buyer and the sales manager (or a higher level employee) constitutes a legal contract. Some insist that it does, others say no, because it is still just a sales order.

IDK what to think, but at this point I'm done worrying about it. Our local dealer has a good rep. I doubt they will try to extort us. If something does go sideways we plan to order from Granger -- we have family out there.
I can attest to Granger being upfront. Talked with the finance department over the phone a few days ago and everything was exactly as stated from the beginning. 6% under invoice, no nitrogen filled tires, no etched vins, no nothing and price was what was agreed to prior to any price increases plus the 1k custom order. First class operation. I saw this last summer as well when I went to test drive the big Bronco mannequins.

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Sounds good.

I know my sales man for the last 10 years, if he says the price on the paper is the price. I know my deal is locked. No b.s. dealer like granger.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can attest to Granger being upfront. Talked with the finance department over the phone a few days ago and everything was exactly as stated from the beginning. 6% under invoice, no nitrogen filled tires, no etched vins, no nothing and price was what was agreed to prior to any price increases plus the 1k custom order. First class operation. I saw this last summer as well when I went to test drive the big Bronco mannequins.
That's good to hear.

The primary reason we are giving the local dealer first chance is that I have had several bad experiences when attempting to get warranty work done at a dealer that did not sell the vehicle. They tend to have a serious attitude problem, as in, "Take it back where you bought it!". If they do deign to do the work, they drag their feet, stretch it out for 1-2 weeks, and/or do a bunch of unnecessary, unapproved work. That's been the case with several different makes of vehicles I've owned. It can be a very stressful PITA.

Of course, we could still end up being jerked around by our local dealer if the Badlands needs warranty repairs...

I did buy my 2002 WRX from this same dealer back in 2001 (they are Ford/Subaru). The sales experience was smooth -- no last minute ADM/extortion (and the WRX was a hot car back then). As I recall, warranty service as no problem (and there as quite a bit of it). Of course, that was 21 years ago, but the dealership is still owned by the same family (has been since 1917).

So my guess is that everything will go smoothly, in spite of our initial experience back in December. However, it will not take much bs for us to walk out and order from Granger.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
I wasn't aware of the $1,000 preorder discount. Our Badlands was ordered Dec. 17. Is there a difference between "preorder" and an actual order?

Everything I've read has said the buyer can use the incentives that were in effect at the time the order was placed, or when taking delivery, but not both. Are you saying the buyer can use BOTH? If so, that's great!
Ford has been running a $1000 incentive (rebate) on custom ordered vehicles, excluding some models like Big Bronco, Maverick, Mustang Mach-E, and F-150 Lightning. Since it's from Ford and passed through the dealer to you, it's separate from the price you negotiate.

Place a new vehicle retail order for a 2022 Mustang®, Bronco® Sport, EcoSport®, Escape®, Edge®, Explorer®, Expedition®, F-150®, Ranger® or Transit Connect® through a local authorized Ford Dealer on or before 4/4/22 and receive a $1,000 Bonus Cash offer. Offer not available on F-150 Lightning™, Super Duty®, Maverick®, Mustang Mach-E®, Bronco® SUV, Transit®, Mustang Shelby® GT500®, Mustang Mach 1, Ford GT, F-150 Tremor®, F-150 Raptor® or E-Transit.™ See dealer for complete details and eligibility.
Source: https://www.ford.com/custom-order/

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
How did the Badlands pickup at Granger go?

I have a question about the $1,000 custom order bonus cash:
https://www.ford.com/custom-order/#5

How can we determine if that offer was in effect on a given date in the past? In our case, Dec. 17.

The salesman didn't mention the $1,000, so I figured it didn't apply. After all, the BS was/is a high demand vehicle -- there's no reason for Ford to offer incentives. Still, the BS is included at the link above -- I just don't know about December.

Needless to say, I hope it's as Moltenburn said in post #82 (above) -- buyers receive any bonus/incentive/etc. in effect at the time of order AND at delivery. One of the FAQs at the link above says:

"Ford can provide certain incentives for customer-placed orders. Ordering customers will be eligible for qualifying incentives at the time of order placement or qualifying incentives at the time of final delivery, whichever is preferred."

Now I'm curious as to what the actual deal is.

Either way, we need to know how to determine which offers were in effect on Dec. 17th.
The dealer should be able to look into the system. The $1k should be either tied to your name or the VIN. The system will show them what incentives are available. I believe the $1k custom order bonus cash was in effect in December, through Jan 3 before it was extended.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good to hear.

The primary reason we are giving the local dealer first chance is that I have had several bad experiences when attempting to get warranty work done at a dealer that did not sell the vehicle. They tend to have a serious attitude problem, as in, "Take it back where you bought it!". If they do deign to do the work, they drag their feet, stretch it out for 1-2 weeks, and/or do a bunch of unnecessary, unapproved work. That's been the case with several different makes of vehicles I've owned. It can be a very stressful PITA.

Of course, we could still end up being jerked around by our local dealer if the Badlands needs warranty repairs...

I did buy my 2002 WRX from this same dealer back in 2001 (they are Ford/Subaru). The sales experience was smooth -- no last minute ADM/extortion (and the WRX was a hot car back then). As I recall, warranty service as no problem (and there as quite a bit of it). Of course, that was 21 years ago, but the dealership is still owned by the same family (has been since 1917).

So my guess is that everything will go smoothly, in spite of our initial experience back in December. However, it will not take much bs for us to walk out and order from Granger.
I’m surprised your dealer gave you a hard time about warranty work. It’s all charged to the factory so it really no skin off their backs unless they are short staffed in their service department. My local Ford dealer seems to thrive on servicing even non Ford’s. Service departments are normally big revenue generators.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer should be able to look into the system. The $1k should be either tied to your name or the VIN. The system will show them what incentives are available. I believe the $1k custom order bonus cash was in effect in December, through Jan 3 before it was extended.
The 1k custom order rebate has been going on over 6 months now. Ford is trying to get people to buy even when nothing is in the showroom or on the lot to look at or buy.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
The 1k custom order rebate has been going on over 6 months now. Ford is trying to get people to buy even when nothing is in the showroom or on the lot to look at or buy.
Not sure on the timing, but yeah, it's been ongoing for a while. I don't believe there have been any gaps but the amount has changed over time. Been at $1k for a while though.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know my sales man for the last 10 years, if he says the price on the paper is the price. I know my deal is locked. No b.s. dealer like granger.
That's great -- I wish I could say the same. My sense is that the dealers hold all the cards. Salespeople can legally lie -- state laws allow it! Buyers have no recourse. Dealerships can hold customer ordered cars for ransom. In many cases the state auto dealer association wrote (or helped write) the laws that regulate them!

As I mentioned above, the dealership we're using has been in the same family for over 100 years -- which should be a good sign (but you never know). I've read a bunch of reviews and the vast majority are positive -- most of the negative ones involve service.

So it's probably OK. At this point it's wait and see.

One thing I can say for sure is that the existing car sales model has got to go. I'd be willing to pay more if it meant cutting through all of the bs and just buying a vehicle like we buy anything else. The price is the price, period. No games, no nitrogen filled tires, etc., etc.

The automobile business really is an outlier in American society. Luckily, we're starting to see direct to consumer sales. I'd support existing dealers getting some of that action as long as they play nice.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure on the timing, but yeah, it's been ongoing for a while. I don't believe there have been any gaps but the amount has changed over time. Been at $1k for a while though.
When I ordered at the end of October, Zach at Granger assumed it would be continued but said they don’t find out until it happens. I was trying to find one locally just to see the color both inside and out but nothing within 100 miles so I just bit the bullet and ordered. Kind of glad I did now. Timing worked out well.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm surprised that the salesman did not mention it.

You'd think that would be about the first thing out of his mouth: "If you order TODAY you'll get $1,000 cash back!"

Instead nothing, not a word.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
When I ordered at the end of October, Zach at Granger assumed it would be continued but said they don’t find out until it happens. I was trying to find one locally just to see the color both inside and out but nothing within 100 miles so I just bit the bullet and ordered. Kind of glad I did now. Timing worked out well.
Yep, dealers generally find out about the new incentives about the same time we do. So they can't really tell you what's coming, but they can pressure you that the incentives can go away at any time, and you don't want to miss out. ;)

For sure, expect them to continue some form of incentive to order a vehicle and wait, especially given the long lead-times. I bet that's keeping a lot of us from jumping ship to another make.

Glad to hear everything is working out for you!

I'm surprised that the salesman did not mention it.

You'd think that would be about the first thing out of his mouth: "If you order TODAY you'll get $1,000 cash back!"

Instead nothing, not a word.
Keep in mind that they get paid when you actually buy the vehicle, not when it's ordered. That's what incentivizes them to be so pushy trying to get you into a vehicle that day - if you walk away or have to wait for an order to come in, you could always back out and they lose out on the sale. For that reason, historically some salespeople have been rather disinterested in retail orders since they don't get paid for a while. That might factor into your salesman not bothering to mention this.

That said, it's $1k from Ford that the dealer collects and passes through to you - in order for them to claim it from Ford, you'd sign a form authorizing the funds to be released to Ford, and then toward your vehicle purchase. So it's not really up to the dealer since it's not out of their pocket.
Sponsored