RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I've never towed a trailer, and have no experience in that area.
I may need to retrieve my Dad's 1964 Apache pop-up camper, and tow it cross country, and need to buy a trailer ball if I attempt this myself.
I'm thinking that the ball size on Dad's cars were 1-7/8" and I've read that 2" is standard. The Apache weighs about 900 pounds, and tongue weight was 100#, if memory serves. My Dad passed away 3 years ago, and the camper is at a family member's house. It's unlikely that the family member will be able to utilize it, even though he wants to use it.
I'm Trustee for our Dad's estate so it's really my responsibility to see that it is disposed of.

Anyone give me any advice here on the ball size?

The hitches on Dad's cars were single piece steel, not receiver type, and probably Class I. They bolted to the frame of the car and the bottom of the trunk.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Thanks!
Now that's an option that I hadn't thought of, even though I've seen this hitch before on Matt's Recovery YouTube videos and maybe others.
This is the way to go, unless you need to buy one with a drop to really account for height issues between the height of the hitch on your BS and the height of the trailer/camper you are towing. You want it pretty level to be ideal, but you see people all the time towing things at crazy angles between the hitch and the trailer

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the way to go, unless you need to buy one with a drop to really account for height issues between the height of the hitch on your BS and the height of the trailer/camper you are towing. You want it pretty level to be ideal, but you see people all the time towing things at crazy angles between the hitch and the trailer
I don't think the height is a problem, but it looks like there are numerous places to buy the different drops hitch and balls: Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, and boat and trailer shops of course.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I don't think the height is a problem, but it looks like there are numerous places to buy the different drops hitch and balls: Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, and boat and trailer shops of course.
You shouldn't have an issue just getting one like that Reese with the height of the BS. You should also look into getting a pin that locks and a lock for the trailer as well, if you are going to be parking it outside and in hotel lots etc.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/security/learn-more

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You shouldn't have an issue just getting one like that Reese with the height of the BS. You should also look into getting a pin that locks and a lock for the trailer as well, if you are going to be parking it outside and in hotel lots etc.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/security/learn-more
I already bought a locking pin for my car's hitch. I figure I'll need that for driving cross country and over-nighting in a hotel.
Of course, I could just go to a state park and set the camper up too. Not so easy for one person, though. With Mom, Dad, and 5 kids, it was a snap to unsnap the canvas cover and set it up.
As for the trailer, we've always used either my Mom's or my Dad's high school gym padlock on the tongue lock when we went camping.
I remember my Mom's padlock combination. My Dad's padlock is on the trailer now. My brother knows the combination, but I don't.

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Most likely a 1-7/8 for the trailer you are talking about. I have one that you can switch the ball size but you can buy a hitch and ball for about $20 so you could try it pretty easily.

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most likely a 1-7/8 for the trailer you are talking about. I have one that you can switch the ball size but you can buy a hitch and ball for about $20 so you could try it pretty easily.
I just heard back from my brother. He verified that Dad's Apache camper used the 1-7/8" ball to tow. That's what he bought for his garden tractor and his Yukon Denali, the latter with a 5" drop. That car is huge!

Thanks everyone.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
I've never towed a trailer, and have no experience in that area.
I may need to retrieve my Dad's 1964 Apache pop-up camper, and tow it cross country, and need to buy a trailer ball if I attempt this myself.
I'm thinking that the ball size on Dad's cars were 1-7/8" and I've read that 2" is standard. The Apache weighs about 900 pounds, and tongue weight was 100#, if memory serves. My Dad passed away 3 years ago, and the camper is at a family member's house. It's unlikely that the family member will be able to utilize it, even though he wants to use it.
I'm Trustee for our Dad's estate so it's really my responsibility to see that it is disposed of.

Anyone give me any advice here on the ball size?

The hitches on Dad's cars were single piece steel, not receiver type, and probably Class I. They bolted to the frame of the car and the bottom of the trunk.
Make you grease the wheel bearings. A spare is a good idea.

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make you grease the wheel bearings. A spare is a good idea.
I have the wheel bearings on the "To-Do" list. There are also 2 new spares.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Good luck with being the trustee. My father passed away in 2016 and I'm still in the thick of it. Fortunately all the vehicles and houses are disposed of! I will say, it's a learning experience or at least it was for me. My kids will appreciate it once I'm gone as I've now learned what not to do!

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The most difficult part was shutting down inc ome sources and closing bank accounts.
And then dealing with annuities. Insurance companies refuse to lump sum remaning payments that a decedent has started receiving. Recurring income for years to come also means filing State and Federal taxes for years to come for the trst/estate and me and the Beneficiaries that I distribute the income.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Recurring income for years to come also means filing State and Federal taxes for years to come for the trst/estate and me and the Beneficiaries that I distribute the income.
That’s interesting, can be a pain unless the income offsets the hassle.

Here are the states where you won't have to pay separate estate or inheritance taxes:
  • Alabama.
  • Alaska.
  • Arizona.
  • Arkansas.
  • California.
  • Colorado.
  • Delaware.
  • Florida

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s interesting, can be a pain unless the income offsets the hassle.

Here are the states where you won't have to pay separate estate or inheritance taxes:
  • Alabama.
  • Alaska.
  • Arizona.
  • Arkansas.
  • California.
  • Colorado.
  • Delaware.
  • Florida
That's not totally accurate.
Deferred interest investments such as Annuities, are taxable income.
If distribution started before death, taxes paid by Trust/Estate.
If distribution starts after death, payments are made directly to Beneficiaries, they are taxed.

Cash funds (liquid assets in bank accounts, CDs) are not taxable income.
Sponsored

Last edited: