AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Background:
I'm in my mid 30s and my previous cars were a stock standard Jeep Wrangler in the early 2000s. After that I drove a 1999 Silverado 1500 LT till it fell apart then after that a Volvo V70. I also frequently drive my dads Audi SQ5. After I sold the V70 when leaving Minnesota and moving back to SD the Audi became my daily driver and errand car for short trips. I've also driven it a ton on road trips with my family. I also drove my brothers Golf GTI a lot as well. I've also put in a ton of miles on rental cars including a Nissan Rouge and many other brands and models, the Rogue was a standout for how bad it was. Hyundai Santa Fe really not too bad all and all. Neither were the Mazdas. I also rented and drove a Ram 1500 Bighorn to and from Colorado last summer on a fishing trip. I've driven quite a wide variety of cars and I know what I like and what I don’t.

Intended Use:
This is my only car. I use it to go to work and errands in Southern California additionally it is my fishing car and my dog transport vehicle.

What I ordered and drive:
2022 BroncoSport Badlands, Alto Blue, Premium Package.

Summary:
Good Car, I like it. Also, my review will sound like Jofer's, but much more poorly written since Jofer is an amazing writer.

Why I got the car and initial impression:
One of the things that initially drew me to the BroncoSport was the true 8spd automatic transmission. I'm a person that despises CVT because the lack of torque and you simple have to rev the nuts off of it to get on the freeway and God forbid if you're at altitude and going up a pass, might as well learn to be patient at that point because you’re not going anywhere quickly.

As I learned more about the Sport it sounded like it'd fit my needs more and more. Its rugged and capable enough to take me on the fishing trails, I can camp with it. It'll also handle itself well in stop and go traffic and be a good commuter car.

My initial impression is that is is a good car. When the order arrived and I sat in it I was impressed by the fit and finish. I think the plastics are smart and attractive. They aren't like an Audi or other luxury brands yes, but they are still well done and well thought out. I like having actual buttons for the controls, AC and radio. I also like how the rear seats fold flat.

First trip after break-in period:
I took it up into the Eastern Sierras after it 500mi. It was a good time for me to go fishing and get out of San Diego a bit. While there I encountered clay and sandy conditions, some water and got a feel for the clearance of the vehicle. A lot of the driving up there was mainly truck roads with some deep ruts and pools of water. I didn't know how deep the water was so I was forced to go up over the side of the trail and around these spots. This is where I first encountered the 4WD system and found out really how good it is. The car will go, it will crawl, the limiting factor is the ground clearance. After this trip I returned back to SD and drove some more trails but nothing crazy. As I have this car longer and longer what I'm reminded of is why I got it and its doing that quite well. Its my daily driver and when I want to go fishing on the trails, which is a big hobby of mine, it'll more than tackle the trails that'll get me to the more remote water.

What I like:
I'm really enjoying the fit and finish of the interior as well as the brown leather seats. They're good in the Badlands and yes I’m using the Audi that I drive normally as well as a comparison. They really are good. It has good sightlines, its a genuinely attractive car. The rubber on the seats is nice too seeing as how this is my dog transport, hockey and fly fishing car. Theres more than enough space in the back for me seeing as how I keep the rear seats folded anyway. It acts like a covered cab for me. The steering is weighted as well which I really like. The SQ5 has light numb handling and thats always been annoying. I like having some weight in the wheel, helps let me know what the tires are doing.

The Badlands package is very smart. I like having the option of the electronically controlled lockers, the cooled 4WD/AWD system, the extra inch of clearance and better shocks are appreciated as well. When I go camping on the trails, traction won't be an issue, the thing I'll worry about, aside from pinstriping, is the clearance. I'm certain this thing will crawl up whatever I have in store for it, short of doing something intentionally stupid like trying to climb up a boulder or a boulder garden.

It also has enough go to do well on the roads. Car is also surprisingly good at higher speeds, reminds me of the Germans I drive.

What I'm surprised I like:
Lane assist, thought I'd hate it, I keep it on all the time now. I have good spacial awareness and keeping my lane isn't an issue for me, never has been, but its nice that it'll gently nudge me back in if I've drifted a bit.

Auto-hold, kind of a dumb feature but it’s easy to get used to.

What doesn't bother me but its a minor nuisance:
Like Jofer, my mpg is low. Maybe its due to the roof basket, maybe its due to daily driving in SD involving all stop and go traffic and hills. San Diego is a surprisingly hilly place. Much more so than people might expect. On this last tank of gas I averaged just under 20mpg and that was with mostly city and some highway. On this tank of gas, one one trip to a trail and back, roughly like a 100mi trip, I got 23mpg so that was fine. If I drove more freeway miles the mpg wouldn't be a concern.

One poster said they can hear the fuel injectors, I can hear those too. A bit annoying, again a nuisance not a big deal.

What I think could be better:
The car simply needs more clearance. On truck trails I can tell the average truck rides higher because of how deep the ruts are in comparison to the Sport. Where I might be scraping, the trucks would not be. I intend to get bigger volume tires at some point but this of course wont solve the issue just improve it a bit.

I also wish the city MPG was higher. I was hoping I could keep that at 20, but its appearing its more like 17.

I recommend using ECO mode on the freeways, that seemed to help my mpg and in general made stop and go a bit smoother.

I'd also like a seat tilt option with the Premium Package. My legs do a bit numb when I'm putting longer hours in it. A tilt function would help that.

Overall:
Really solid little car. No regrets buying it and the more I drive it the happier I am with it. This truly will be the car I take to work and then when I want to go fishing it'll do that as well. The only thing I regret not getting is the Co-Pilot 360 Assist+. I ordered this car before I knew about adaptive cruise and it does sound like something that would be helpful on long road trips and in particular when I drive through LA. I'd also like to have front parking sensors. Power folding mirrors would be appreciated as well. Given the limitations and price point these aren't complaints, just observations. Car is incredibly capable and I think well done.

Ford Bronco Sport Two Month, 2500 Mile Badlands Review as Everything Vehicle (Daily, Fishing, Dog) Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.22.21 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Two Month, 2500 Mile Badlands Review as Everything Vehicle (Daily, Fishing, Dog) Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.35.47 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Two Month, 2500 Mile Badlands Review as Everything Vehicle (Daily, Fishing, Dog) Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.39.35 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Two Month, 2500 Mile Badlands Review as Everything Vehicle (Daily, Fishing, Dog) Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.43.11 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Two Month, 2500 Mile Badlands Review as Everything Vehicle (Daily, Fishing, Dog) Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.44.23 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronco307

Badlands
First Name
Kade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 22 Big Bend
Fantastic write up and photos! These really do make great little adventure vehicles. If you really want to up your mpg, try a few trips without the roof basket (unless you have it full of gear and need it). Even an empty basket really pulls the mpg down on just about any vehicle. I'd bet you'd gain around 3 mpg without it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thanks for the write-up. I'll disagree with one thing: I don't think Eco mode will do anything for highway fuel economy. Eco mode does not make the engine any more efficient. It works by changing throttle response and keeping RPM as low as possible.

Eco mode lowers throttle response. That means you get less power for acceleration at the same pedal position compared to Normal or Sport modes. The less power you demand the lower your fuel consumption. You can still get full power by putting the pedal on the floor, but at all other pedal positions the engine will produce less power.

The other thing Eco does is to keep RPM lower. All other things equal, the lower the RPM the lower your fuel consumption. That means the car will upshift sooner (at a lower RPM) compared to Normal or Sport mode.

When you're cruising at highway speeds you are already in the highest gear, so Eco mode cannot further lower RPM. Additionally, power demand is relatively constant, so there is no benefit to lower throttle response.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for the write-up. I'll disagree with one thing: I don't think Eco mode will do anything for highway fuel economy. Eco mode does not make the engine any more efficient. It works by changing throttle response and keeping RPM as low as possible.

Eco mode lowers throttle response. That means you get less power for acceleration at the same pedal position compared to Normal or Sport modes. The less power you demand the lower your fuel consumption. You can still get full power by putting the pedal on the floor, but at all other pedal positions the engine will produce less power.

The other thing Eco does is to keep RPM lower. All other things equal, the lower the RPM the lower your fuel consumption. That means the car will upshift sooner (at a lower RPM) compared to Normal or Sport mode.

When you're cruising at highway speeds you are already in the highest gear, so Eco mode cannot further lower RPM. Additionally, power demand is relatively constant, so there is no benefit to lower throttle response.
Oh I know I understand engine mapping. What I like is the slowed throttle response and less of a response as well. In stop in go that’s helped my driving be smoother and more efficient. As well as cruising.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Oh I know I understand engine mapping. What I like is the slowed throttle response and less of a response as well. In stop in go that’s helped my driving be smoother and more efficient.
I agree, Eco mode is intended to increase fuel mileage in stop & go, city driving. I posted my response because in your original comment you said, "I recommend using ECO mode on the freeways, that seemed to help my mpg..." Given how Eco mode functions I don't see how it can do anything to help freeway mpg.

All EPA fuel economy testing must be done with a given vehicle in the default driving mode (for vehicles that have different driving modes). Given the importance of fuel economy to most owners, I can't think of a reason why a manufacturer would reserve the most efficient highway engine/transmission control parameters for a mode other than the one the EPA will use to determine highway fuel economy.

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Eco shines on the 4 cyl driving around town. Forces a smoother driving style. On the highway it does nothing. Truck is a brick shape in the end.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I agree, Eco mode is intended to increase fuel mileage in stop & go, city driving. I posted my response because in your original comment you said, "I recommend using ECO mode on the freeways, that seemed to help my mpg..." Given how Eco mode functions I don't see how it can do anything to help freeway mpg.

All EPA fuel economy testing must be done with a given vehicle in the default driving mode (for vehicles that have different driving modes). Given the importance of fuel economy to most owners, I can't think of a reason why a manufacturer would reserve the most efficient highway engine/transmission control parameters for a mode other than the one the EPA will use to determine highway fuel economy.
Mark, I think he was referring to SD freeways. We would call the more like slow moving parking lots! I’ve driven on the 5, 15, and the 8 in SD and unless it’s off hours, the brick effect never comes into play. Or, at least that was my experience going from Carlsbad to SD for several weeks way pre pandemic.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Eco shines on the 4 cyl driving around town. Forces a smoother driving style. On the highway it does nothing. Truck is a brick shape in the end.
Eco mode on the 3 cyl will shut down a cylinder under certain conditions (I’m guessing steady freeway driving). Does the 4 cylinder not do this?

It may be brick shaped but I still manage 34 - 36 MPG on my 190+ weekly highway drives.

Reactions: Jrl

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
very good review. EPA rating is 23 avg, that probably is likely us So Cal folks will get including highway driving. that roof basket will drop maybe a few percent. the BS is a small car, I likely will need to use my Thule cargo box when doing longer road trip....that is going to cut some efficiency.

tho I haven't receive my BL yet, based on a short test drive, I think car steering is a little too stiff. I, too, had many Audi's including an SQ5. Tho the steering is light and a bit numb, but it is a different numb here with the BL despite the steering is stiff. by the way....the harder you push the SQ5 on curvy road, the more lively it gets.....but that's not what we are reviewing here :) .....my SQ5 spin tires and dig holes easily on a loose dirt fire road with a little steeper incline. sounds like this car is not gonna do that.

may see you along the Eastern Sierras fishing someday.....

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Eco mode on the 3 cyl will shut down a cylinder under certain conditions (I’m guessing steady freeway driving). Does the 4 cylinder not do this?

It may be brick shaped but I still manage 34 - 36 MPG on my 190+ weekly highway drives.
Four cylinder only shuts off all 4 at once and only at stops! :cool:

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Four cylinder only shuts off all 4 at once and only at stops! :cool:
Reminds me of why I didn’t mention the startle-start, easy to turn it off and just have to do it once every drive.

And with the eco mode freeway thing, in Southern California, freeway driving is stop and go, no getting around it. Like you’d have to be incredibly lucky to go 20mins without hitting some sort of slowdown.

That said if you’re cruising and not hitting jams, then ya eco mode wouldn’t make any difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
My BL is similarly spec'd just with the tow hitch. We've had it for 2 mos but since its "technically" my wifes car and she runs the business from home we still only have 1500 mi on it. As far as MPG is concerned depends who drives it. I'm a lead foot on the highway but have learned the art of coasting around town, she likes to leadfoot and hard brake around town so she gets around 17 city, I get closer to 20. Highway, (will be taking it on its first long road trip 2 weeks from now) but from best I can tell it gets 26-28 at around 73mph. I have noticed as others have mentioned when we hit around 1250 mi mpg started to improve. Also of note its been insanely windy month, with sustained winds consistently 30 and 40+. Head winds of that murder gas mileage, but I haven't felt ever that it struggled power wise. Honestly think its the most fun car I've owned. Also I concure...CVT trannys are awful.
Sponsored