fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
My wife wants to replace her 01 Escape v6 with a Sport, but after driving the 3 and 4 cylinders we both agreed the 1.5 has no guts. I also have a 400hp Golf that doesn't help measuring things with the butt dyno, but for my wife to notice a car doesn't have power is saying something considering she's had the escape since it was new. The only option she wants is a sunroof, which pushes the badlands to 40k with taxes, which I have trouble wrapping my head around for this car considering some of the other (mostly used) cars start to come into play at that price . I'd rather get a Big Bend with the Big Bend package and call it a day.

So that was all a long way of asking what kind of results can be expected from just a tune, no supporting mods on the 1.5?
Sponsored

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you two need the 2.0. As you found the 1.5 is not for everyone.
I am happy with my 1.5 But I'm not needing to be first or keep up with those who want to be first :'P
Yea that's what I'm afraid of. I don't need this car to be first, my other cars fills that void quite well, but I do need to feel some sort of umph when the pedal is on the floor. I like the 2.0 but not at 40k OTD for one with a sunroof (stupid bundled options). Once the sticker is 37/38 a different class of cars (new and slightly used) start to come into consideration.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Maybe try to get an x-plan pin or wait until there are better incentives from Ford once they have built up some inventory (this could take a while). It sounds like you really want the Badlands, just a little cheaper. Sales tax sucks here.

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
You could probably get to 200hp with a tune. That's what the Fiesta ST in Europe is making with its 1.5L I3. Still won't be exactly "fast" but some more aggressive throttle mapping could make it feel that way. Might run you ~$500 for the tuning device and tune depending whom you go with.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could probably get to 200hp with a tune. That's what the Fiesta ST in Europe is making with its 1.5L I3. Still won't be exactly "fast" but some more aggressive throttle mapping could make it feel that way. Might run you ~$500 for the tuning device and tune depending whom you go with.
Who is the big tuner for these? I know Livernois seems popular w the Focus RS guys.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I thought the 1.5 was really peppy when the Turbo kicked in , with only a slight Turbo lag . True is nothing like the V6 Mustang we had , but power was not even a. consideration when we went to look at the BS .

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
We have a 2017 2.L escape, and then I got a 1.5L 4cyl escape for my work vehicle...and HATED it. No guts, the 2L was hands down superior and could really go.
Then we get the OB Bronco Sport 1.5L 3 cyl and I was tentative. But I will say this...the torque on the 1.5L is impressive. On a hairpin corner on a steep hill here, the Bronco handles it with ease with its torque.
It's not gonna break 0-60 records, but it has power. But yeah the 2 L will blow every car at the light in the dust.
I agree with the other posters here, it does sound like you guys like the zip, the 2L will give you that. But the 1.5 has the power, and decent go.
Good luck

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Who is the big tuner for these? I know Livernois seems popular w the Focus RS guys.
Livernois is pretty popular. There's also Cobb, FreekTune, Stratified, and Unleashed Tuning. I used to go with Unleashed Tuning on my Focus ST. I highly doubt any of them have done anything specific to the BS, yet, but I'm sure one or all of them are willing to have a go at custom tuning maps if you buy a device through them.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I'll keep mine stock as it does all I need but I want to see what increases you guys get.
This Dragon 1.5L feels like a solid engine as Is but another 50 hp and 50 ft pounds would really be cool.
Then I want someone to add 50 hp and 50 torque to the 2.0,
Wowza!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'll keep mine stock as it does all I need but I want to see what increases you guys get.
This Dragon 1.5L feels like a solid engine as Is but another 50 hp and 50 ft pounds would really be cool.
Then I want someone to add 50 hp and 50 torque to the 2.0,
Wowza!
The guy at Vivid Racing thinks they can get at least 300hp and more torque just chipping the 2.0LT (different timing map, etc.). Then with intake, exhaust, cooling/intercooling, who know what other mods...? I might try the easy ones first (e.g. chip it), but wouldn't go crazy, and shortening the lifespan of the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. And frankly, it just doesn't need it except for chasing ever higher, faster, louder, better specs. You'll practically rebuild the whole truck making it safe to drive with all that added power (if you're inclined to use it).

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
If it's anything like the Focus ST, the small turbo will be the main bottleneck. After that, I wouldn't want to push more than 350 since this is mostly the same driveline as the Focus RS.

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My wife wants to replace her 01 Escape v6 with a Sport, but after driving the 3 and 4 cylinders we both agreed the 1.5 has no guts. I also have a 400hp Golf that doesn't help measuring things with the butt dyno, but for my wife to notice a car doesn't have power is saying something considering she's had the escape since it was new. The only option she wants is a sunroof, which pushes the badlands to 40k with taxes, which I have trouble wrapping my head around for this car considering some of the other (mostly used) cars start to come into play at that price . I'd rather get a Big Bend with the Big Bend package and call it a day.

So that was all a long way of asking what kind of results can be expected from just a tune, no supporting mods on the 1.5?
The 1.5 is more than enough for me, especially in sport mode. Even quicker when empty, but I'm not a car junky and just want something cool, reliable, that will hold all my gear.
Sponsored