Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I doubt 60HP gains would be seen on a 1.5. I would have concerns about reliability and how long the engine would last.

And $529.00?:crazy:

Pull the 1.5 or 2.0 and squeeze in a 5.0!

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone install a tuning kit? power

Last edited:

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Never heard of them. I'd be very skeptical unless you can find some real reviews. To me it looks like one of those things that if it sounds to good to be true.....and also ridiculously expensive.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The OEM powertrain control module incorporates limits on power output based on sensor readings to protect the engine from self destructing. These "tuners" work by intercepting those signals so the PCM receives false readings. The goal is to relax or eliminate the programmed safety limits so the engine can generate more power than Ford has deemed safe.

Some people have good luck with tuners, running them for years with no issues. Others experience catastrophic engine failure. There are two major problems with these devices: 1) there's generally no warning to let the driver know they operating close to or beyond a limit whose exceedance can result in catastrophic engine failure, and 2) if Ford discovers you installed one of these devices your warranty will not cover repairs. I know some will say you can always remove the device before making a warranty claim, and that's certainly true. It's also fraudulent, and downright scummy. Why should Ford pay for damage you caused?

I urge anyone considering one of these devices to think twice. If you have a need for more power you should probably just get a different vehicle.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Never heard of them. I'd be very skeptical unless you can find some real reviews. To me it looks like one of those things that if it sounds to good to be true.....and also ridiculously expensive.
JB4 is very well known in the VW tuning world. Not saying that I recommend this product, just that the company is not "fly by night" and has been around for quite some time.

OP
OP

Chris-aguilar

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Great feedback, I haven't done a much research yet. Before I dove i wanted to see if it was worth looking at. I don't want to damage my car.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Great feedback, I haven't done a much research yet. Before I dove i wanted to see if it was worth looking at. I don't want to damage my car.
I just checked out the link to the product and there is only 1 review on it so take that into consideration.

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
JB4, is well known in the tuning industry so I wouldnt be worried about them standing behind their product/$529 isnt all that bad a price, I paid $700 for the Ford Performance Tuner for my full size Bronco and it made a big difference in the smoothness of the transmission (automatic shifting) and overall driveability with an approximate 10 to 15hp gain
If an when my BS Heritage Limited ever arrives I will be looking to squeeze out a few more HP out of the 2.0

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OEM powertrain control unit incorporates limits on power output based on sensor readings to protect the engine from self destructing. These "tuners" work by intercepting those signals so the PCM receives false readings. The goal is to relax or eliminate the programmed safety limits so the engine can generate more power than Ford has deemed safe.

Some people have good luck with tuners, running them for years with no issues. Others experience catastrophic engine failure. There are two major problems with these devices: 1) there's generally no warning to let the driver know they operating close to or beyond a limit whose exceedance can result in catastrophic engine failure, and 2) if Ford discovers you installed one of these devices your warranty will not cover repairs. I know some will say you can always remove the device before making a warranty claim, and that's certainly true. It's also fraudulent, and downright scummy. Why should Ford pay for damage you caused?

I urge anyone considering one of these devices to think twice. If you have a need for more power you should probably just get a different vehicle.
Auto manufactures have gotten clever now with detecting tunes being installed/removed prior to a service call (warranty claims). There is a counter now in the engine/driveline control module that is set/incremented whenever the stock tune has been changed (via a tune). So yes, you can remove and reinstall a tune, but most repair centers can identify this has happened by the counter.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto manufactures have gotten clever now with tunes being removed prior to a service call (under warranty claims). There is a counter now in the engine/driveline control module that is set whenever the stock maps have been changed (via a tune). So yes, you can remove and reinstall a custom tune, but most now can identify this by the counter.
This is true for tunes that overwrite the OEM PCM software. The tuner OP referenced is a plug-in style. Instead of overwriting the OEM software it intercepts and modifies engine sensor indications.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is true for tunes that overwrite the OEM PCM software. The tuner OP referenced is a plug-in style. Instead of overwriting the OEM software it intercepts and modifies engine sensor indications.
I'm not 100% positive, but on a Challenger forum I was on, some folks warned that these too were detectable (intercept type tuners).

Either way, I would not take a chance on a tune. I would be very careful on how much I push a 1.5 or 2.0 with a turbo.

I've got a 67 Camaro SS that provides me with all the go daddy fun. Besides, my wife would not be happy hearing I took her BS a little too far and damaged it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way, I would not take a chance on a tune. I would be very careful on how much I push a 1.5 or 2.0 with a turbo.

I've got a 67 Camaro SS that provides me with all the go daddy fun.
Agreed. I get all the speed I need with this:

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone install a tuning kit? 20230411_161055

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I get all the speed I need with this:

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone install a tuning kit? 20230411_161055
Just don't be a maniac!

I used to ride a Harley dresser in the day. Had over 138K on that one. I gave it up after about 18 years, as the reflexes I have today don't qualify me to avoid the others I have to share the road with on two wheels. I miss it though.