fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
The guy at Vivid Racing thinks they can get at least 300hp and more torque just chipping the 2.0LT (different timing map, etc.). Then with intake, exhaust, cooling/intercooling, who know what other mods...? I might try the easy ones first (e.g. chip it), but wouldn't go crazy, and shortening the lifespan of the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. And frankly, it just doesn't need it except for chasing ever higher, faster, louder, better specs. You'll practically rebuild the whole truck making it safe to drive with all that added power (if you're inclined to use it).

All my bronco would see is a basic tune, tint and maaaaybe a clear bra. I don't need it to win races, just overtake on the highway without any drama. My vw is the car I take my mod bug out on. (So far- Tune, Downpipe, Intake, Intercooler, Engine/Trans mounts, tint, blackout emblems, roof rack) and my to do/wish list is too long on it as is (bbk, forged wheels, new tune for ethanol, new trans tune, etc) so that's where any extra car funds are going for the foreseeable future. Not that anyone here cares but the goal is a low 11 second car with trap speeds 118-120. Currently does ~11.8@115.

Just found out I'll officially be in the market for the suv sometime in the August-October, so there should hopefully be some data points and aftermarket support out there and some used ones from people who decide its not the car for them for whatever reason. The used market will dictate what we end up with.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
To those wanting power but unwilling to pay up...
Get a better job, make more money,
Big boy toys cost more bucks..
All that the market will bare....
I'd never buy a new vehicle if I wanted more than that vehicle could give me. Nor buy more than I could afford...
There is no replacement for displacement right !
Get the 1.5L that you can afford and learn to drive it within it's power band.
If your friends diss you and tell you to get back on the porch with your wimpy 3 banger you need new friends.
I drove class 5 tractor trailers with oodles of raw power but I was slow off the line..... What eva,,,
You feel me ?
Ok that was assinine right ?
Sorry I refuse to grow up..LoL

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was a tuner I'd take the 1.5 L to a simple 210 hp and 220 ft pounds,
No more.
As those numbers should not hurt the driveline, tranny or motor.
Just enough to feel it,
And try and keep it down low,
On the tach,
Say ,
1700 to 3000 rpm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To those wanting power but unwilling to pay up...
Get a better job, make more money,
Big boy toys cost more bucks..
All that the market will bare....
I'd never buy a new vehicle if I wanted more than that vehicle could give me. Nor buy more than I could afford...
There is no replacement for displacement right !
Get the 1.5L that you can afford and learn dive it within it's power band.
If your friends diss you and tell you to get back on the porch with your wimpy 3 banger you need new friends.
I drove class 5 tractor trailers with oodles of raw power but I was slow off the line..... What eva,,,
You feel me ?
Ok that was assinine right ?
Sorry I refuse to grow up..LoL
The irony is turbos are replacing displacement. You can get 2 liter engines making over 400hp from the factory these days. Those were V8 numbers not that long ago.

Not commenting on the rest ;)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The irony is turbos are replacing displacement. You can get 2 liter engines making over 400hp from the factory these days. Those were V8 numbers not that long ago.

Not commenting on the rest ;)
Horsepower comes from RPMs -- times torque. At equal RPMs, bigger -- or boosted -- engines already making bigger torque (if that doesn't drop off to much at higher RPMs) already have a head start. But smaller engine designs that can go to huge RPMs -- 9,000 (Honda S2000!), 10,000, 12,000, more -- can generate just as much or more peak *horsepower* as many of the big engines. Most of us don't drive around in anything that revs that high though.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horsepower comes from RPMs -- times torque. At equal RPMs, bigger -- or boosted -- engines already making bigger torque (if that doesn't drop off to much at higher RPMs) already have a head start. But smaller engine designs that can go to huge RPMs -- 9,000 (Honda S2000!), 10,000, 12,000, more -- can generate just as much or more peak *horsepower* as many of the big engines. Most of us don't drive around in anything that revs that high though.
s2000s didnt even make 250 hp stock and only 160 lb-ft... not exactly 400. I used to have an RSX-S that revved to 8k. Tons of fun but no real way to add significant power in the way you can on most modern turbo motors with just a tune. I dont recall any RSX-Ss or S2000s that got over (or near) 300whp while staying all motor but its been a decade since I really paid the honda scene attention.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
s2000s didnt even make 250 hp stock and only 160 lb-ft... not exactly 400. I used to have an RSX-S that revved to 8k. Tons of fun but no real way to add significant power in the way you can on most modern turbo motors with just a tune. I dont recall any RSX-Ss or S2000s that got over (or near) 300whp while staying all motor but its been a decade since I really paid the honda scene attention.
That was a lot back then for that little 2.0L, naturally aspirated engine -- because 9,000 RPM is what I'm saying. I didn't say, and didn't mean to imply it was making 300 or 400 hp.

Cpt.Diabetes

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My wife wants to replace her 01 Escape v6 with a Sport, but after driving the 3 and 4 cylinders we both agreed the 1.5 has no guts. I also have a 400hp Golf that doesn't help measuring things with the butt dyno, but for my wife to notice a car doesn't have power is saying something considering she's had the escape since it was new. The only option she wants is a sunroof, which pushes the badlands to 40k with taxes, which I have trouble wrapping my head around for this car considering some of the other (mostly used) cars start to come into play at that price . I'd rather get a Big Bend with the Big Bend package and call it a day.

So that was all a long way of asking what kind of results can be expected from just a tune, no supporting mods on the 1.5?
Did you have a chance to test the acceleration without the auto engine off and full throttling it onto a freeway? Yes badlands is upgraded and more hp but same thing for me I could not justify the price in difference in packages and wait time to get one. Then again I did upgrade from a Prius so everything is an upgrade lol. At 185hp the acceleration isn’t bad at all gunning it, it is definitely quiet until you gun it

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have a chance to test the acceleration without the auto engine off and full throttling it onto a freeway? Yes badlands is upgraded and more hp but same thing for me I could not justify the price in difference in packages and wait time to get one. Then again I did upgrade from a Prius so everything is an upgrade lol. At 185hp the acceleration isn’t bad at all gunning it, it is definitely quiet until you gun it
I didn't, my wife decided she wants the badlands (and got a big work promotion) so that's what we are gonna go with. The dealer offered to sell us the demo (exact spec we built previously) but its too soon for us. We don't mind the wait til summer, really making the purchase for something that should be happening in October.

Gogoggansgo

Outer Banks
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta st
For every bar of boost about 15 psi or so you double the effective engine displacement. The old 1.6 4 cylinder while a fine engine especially in the fiesta st, had some issues. It’s k39 turbo was just too small to really do much with tuning. In the fiesta st you would go from 185whp to 230whp on e30, 300wtq. And that would be the end of the world on the stock turbo. This new 1.5 3 cylinder effectively is much much better, duel injection, much better turbo design. In the euro only MK8 fiesta st, they’re making 260whp with bolts on. So I’m the bronco sport 200whp it’s more than doable and reliable. I would of liked Ford to of made this engine on par with the euro spec in the fiesta st but that’s just me. 197hp and 223tq is much more well rounded

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse power and torque numbers meet at 5250 RPM's, or 5200 I forget .
HP is for speed, TQ is for acceleration.
I'll take a torky little motor any day over big HP. I like my acceleration and just don't care about going so fast telephone poles are as close as a picket fence.... If you loose it at 75 mph you prolly won't be able to get off the roadway without hitting a telephone poll..
Death stalks us all right !

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse power and torque numbers meet at 5250 RPM's, or 5200 I forget .
HP is for speed, TQ is for acceleration.
I'll take a torky little motor any day over big HP. I like my acceleration and just don't care about going so fast telephone poles are as close as a picket fence.... If you loose it at 75 mph you prolly won't be able to get off the roadway without hitting a telephone poll..
Death stalks us all right !
Horsepower is how fast you hit the telephone pole. Torque is how far you take it with you.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI - the 1.5 feels a lot better in Sport Mode.
Simply because It shifts farther up the Tac. BUT
BUT Is the fuel mapping changed,,
OR variable valve timing ??
Anyone know ?
Sponsored