AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
A family friend has a Big Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and offered to take us out on some nearby trails. I thought hey that'd be fun. The intention was to take me on some moderate trails while they lead. What I didn't really know was that this person has never been on this trail before and that they were using the Bronco App which proved to be unreliable.

The trail started out smoothly enough but as time progressed it got harder, steeper, more rocky, more rutted and got to the point where my car absolutely could not go further. I watched this person in their kitted out Big Bronco slide into rut on an uphill pitch, with rocks I knew I would get stuck on and there was just no way. The person was convinced we were near the end of the trail and I was convinced I was going to break my car trying to get over that climb and most likely get stuck. Baby bronco is a great car but it only has 8.8in of clearance and if a Big Bronco on 35 is looking like its having fun on an off-camber uphill pitch....just sometimes you have to draw the line and head back.

So we did. I was firm that was it. What that meant was that we had to go all the way back the way we just came, literally have to spend hours backtracking to get out. But I was ok with that, I knew what we were going to drive, we had done it earlier and I knew it wouldn't break my car. It also meant going back over the bog I got stuck in on the way out, which again I was ok with, because I didn't take the line I wanted to the first time and was very confident (and correctly so apparently) that on the way back I would take it and be fine. I was.

We ended up spending 7hrs and over 30mi on the trails , near continuous driving, a massive variety of terrain including slick rock, muddy bogs (in the San Diego mountains...who knew), riding massive ruts with very real consequences for a fuck up and I was able to give the car a really good work through. Even got stuck once because my spotter gave me a shitty line in a bog. Good times.

My takeaways are that the car is phenomenal for what it is. No its not a purpose built off roader and could use more clearance but I didn't buy it to be a purpose built off roader. The AWD system is stellar, it never overheated, the rear locker worked. Ford really has done good work with that. The liquid cooled transmission/transfer case, I'm sure Mark will correct me, was amazing. The car never once baulked or complained despite getting a fairly good beating, again I was in a bit over my head at the end but no one saw that coming just was what it was I guess. The bump stops on the shocks were very much needed, good job Ford.

I found the GOAT modes a bit unnecessary. I ended up using them just to keep the camera on, but what was really annoying was once I got a bit of experience I prefered driving in normal mode, the front camera would turn off super quick. So I keep it in sand or mud/ruts mode in order to keep it on but that wasn't a perfect compromise as that would keep the revs up which wasn't ideal while going up a technical hill or after descending one.

One thing that made me about crap myself was my dads phone was connect via the usb and he randomly got a call in the middle of nowhere. While the call was being received and we were unaware it was incoming, the car turned down the AC and the radio and it seemed like we had a major problem. This happened twice and gave me a dam good scare each time especially considering we had the dogs in the back (remember we thought it'd be a simple trail ride, it wasn't).

And I feel like I've given this car a fairly good torture test and am almost certain no one will push it that hard. There was some damage, lost a mud flap, there was pinstripping (so much pinstripping the trail got really narrow and on the hills, it was either get pinstripes or fall into a rut and risk damaging the car, didn't like it at first but eventually accepted it was going to happen in order for me to drive the safest line), there were bumps (so many bumps, you learn to drive on top of the rocks not over them) and bruises but no warning lights came on and again the car did really dam well. I would do that trail again just turn around much much earlier and maybe spend more time on the slick rock. The BroncoSport Badlands is fully capable of doing a 2 on the Bronco trail App (like I said we were following the other guy and he had it) but dont be stupid with the car and it'll treat you far better than any little CUV should.

Also, on the first photo, thats a 23 degree pitch. I saw the Big Bronco do it and thought that was impressive, didn't think could do it but I figured what the hell I'll give it a shot. Car did great and climbed up easily. AWD system really worked well there.
Approach angle was good enough, departure angle was problem. Iā€™m certain Iā€™m have damage there.

For or anyone who's read this far, just know the car is incredibly capable, more than any CUV has the right to be and the car will take you places you want to go. No itā€™s not a dedicated off roader but with a lift and bigger tires, it will keep up with the body on frame guys and the Badlands really is an impressive car. I'm glad I got to push it, now I appreciate it more and I genuinely think Ford has done a great job engineering it. Again, the AWD system, the cooling system all fantastic and worked flawlessly. Any car critic and cynic will have a hard time finding flaws in those systems.

I could really talk more about the experience and the car but thats probably enough for now.

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.41.13 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.41.59 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.42.13 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.42.35 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.43.01 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.40.57 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.47.06 AM

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 7.47.25 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Good post description and pics!

About the ā€œWhile the call was being received and we were unaware it was incoming, the car turned down the ACā€ā€¦ just FYI ā€¦ unfortunately that is the normal behavior of the Bronco Sport whenever an outgoing call is made or an incoming call occurs. Only way to change that behavior is via FORScan.

What did your family friend find unreliable about the Bronco Trail App?

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Good post description and pics!

About the ā€œWhile the call was being received and we were unaware it was incoming, the car turned down the ACā€ā€¦ just FYI ā€¦ unfortunately that is the normal behavior of the Bronco Sport whenever an outgoing call is made or an incoming call occurs. Only way to change that behavior is via FORScan.

What did your family friend find unreliable about the Bronco Trail App?
Yea so the Bronco App relies, according to our family friend, on user reviews to rate trails. So while the trail we were on was rated a 2 for the entire path I can promise you the last mile we drove was not a 2. He also noted the multiple water crossings and muddy parts and water crossings weren't noted on that either. So if a pitch where a Big Bronco Badlands with 35s is sliding into a rut while getting seriously tilted on an off-camber pitch is a 2....well its simply not so the rating for that trail, that section in particular is incomplete or inaccurate.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Bronco App relies on user reviews to rate trails. ā€¦ trail is a 2....well its simply not so the rating for that trail, that section in particular is incomplete or inaccurate.
Ahhh that makes sense, I see that on user rated hiking trails too. From the Bronco Trail App reviews (which was a 2.8* just a week or so ago now ā€œimprovedā€ up to 3*) are many negative reviews on the App.
Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) 1684337218817

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Great write up and impressions. I also think the Badlands' suspension is really nice going over stuff. All in all it is a bunch of great tech that does a lot of work for you so you can enjoy the ride. Knowing the limits and knowing to make a different choice is the best thing you can do.

One thing is, when you go to clean this spot ^ in the pic. Be sure to open your door and clean out IN the bottom of the fender. I bet you'll find a few inches of dirt that went into that plastic trim piece or under it, and it's all built up inside, waiting to rot out from within. Ugly spot. I fear the rear does something similar, but there is no easy way to flush it out back there.

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I'm curious, was the guy you were following correct, was the trail map accurate that the end of the trail was close? I'm glad you turned around. thanks for the great write up!

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Great write-up!

I just read about the Bronco Trail Map. Interesting. I want to go to Shawnee National Forest and Iā€™m looking for something like that for the Sport.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Great write-up!

I just read about the Bronco Trail Map. Interesting. I want to go to Shawnee National Forest and Iā€™m looking for something like that for the Sport.
The Bronco App doesn't work unless you have a full sized Bronco. You might want to look at Gaia GPS or OnX for an app that will guide you offroad.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm curious, was the guy you were following correct, was the trail map accurate that the end of the trail was close? I'm glad you turned around. thanks for the great write up!
I dont know if he was correct. I'm inclined to believe he was but tbh he was not right about a lot of things so who knows. Below is a trail map. His belief is that we were at the middle section with all the turn signs on top of each other. What that also means is that the trail was getting steeper and more technical, so while we were likely close to the end, we were far from the hard stuff, it likely would've gotten harder. Whats also worth mentioning is that trail is meant to be done in the reverse direction we did it. So that first part would act like a gatekeeper section, do it you're fine you're good to go.

Tbh I'm growing a bit salty about the experience, my car is pretty beat up now, I'll take it into the shop soon and undoubtedly will be spending some money to get some things fixed. It was a cool experience no doubt but didn't intend to spend 7hrs and it turns out over 40mi on the trails beating the crap out of my car.

Update: Car just needed a new front left tire otherwise itā€™s fine. What a beefy little ute.
Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 1.41.11 PM

Last edited:

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I dont know if he was correct. I'm inclined to believe he was but tbh he was not right about a lot of things so who knows. Below is a trail map. His belief is that we were at the middle section with all the turn signs on top of each other. What that also means is that the trail was getting steeper and more technical, so while we were likely close to the end, we were far from the hard stuff, it likely would've gotten harder. Whats also worth mentioning is that trail is meant to be done in the reverse direction we did it. So that first part would act like a gatekeeper section, do it you're fine you're good to go.

Tbh I'm growing a bit salty about the experience, my car is pretty beat up now, I'll take it into the shop soon and undoubtedly will be spending some money to get some things fixed. It was a cool experience no doubt but didn't intend to spend 7hrs and it turns out over 40mi on the trails beating the crap out of my car.

Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 1.41.11 PM
sounds like he's now a family acquaintance rather than a family friend

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Thanks for the write up. Iā€™m glad the damage wasnā€™t worse. Unfortunately as you found out, this isnā€™t a body on frame SUV sitting on 35 inch tires (34ā€™s). I know there has been a lot of banter back and forth between some members trying to imply that the Badlands Sport is every bit the off roader that the full size is but the reality is only in certain situations. A full size stock base might be relatively equal to a Badlands Sport but thatā€™s really the closest it gets. Itā€™s really tough to beat ground clearance even with rear lockers.

That being said, the Badlands Sport is an awesome vehicle and extremely practical while being a blast to drive. No reason for anyone to feel inferior to a full size. Two completely different vehicles.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL

Thanks for showing us the map of the trail. I will avoid most of this :)

Our car needs more clearance if we want to really do off roading.

It is so hard to trust map ratingā€¦ especially after the rain we have in California this year. There are some big ruts out there. I ride mountain bike and Iā€™ve seen some canyon developed on the trail after the long raining season. With Mtn bike one can always get off and walk itā€¦ we canā€™t do it with a car.
Sponsored