Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
As Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Thanks for sharing your adventure. We can all learn from it.
And the Eagles:

And thanks for the awesome write up!
Sponsored

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for showing us the map of the trail. I will avoid most of this :)

Our car needs more clearance if we want to really do off roading.

It is so hard to trust map ratingā€¦ especially after the rain we have in California this year. There are some big ruts out there. I ride mountain bike and Iā€™ve seen some canyon developed on the trail after the long raining season. With Mtn bike one can always get off and walk itā€¦ we canā€™t do it with a car.
Yea good call. The ruts really made everything much more challenging. If the trail wasn't washed out, if it was flatter an easy-moderate ranking would've made sense and the car would've done well. But everything had ruts caused by washout and some of the ruts were like truly something to worry about even for the big bronco. And then you'd get off-camber washed areas with a rut on one side and thats where the ATRs really failed, they just slid in. Also caused me to get more pinstripes than I otherwise would have. They were true wheel eaters and quite honestly some of them seemed like they would flat out have wrecked something if I slid into one so it forced wider lines and at one point had to accept the car was going to scrapped like a cats scratching post in order to take safe lines.

But like everything had deep ruts and I had to really learn to straddle everything. Again, if it wasn't for those it would've been fairly easy.

I'm still frustrated the guy didn't run the trail before and and actually angry he wanted me to go up that last pitch. Steep, rutted, rocky, off camber, fuck his car slid into the rut in the middle, my little bronco stood no chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for the write up. Iā€™m glad the damage wasnā€™t worse. Unfortunately as you found out, this isnā€™t a body on frame SUV sitting on 35 inch tires (34ā€™s). I know there has been a lot of banter back and forth between some members trying to imply that the Badlands Sport is every bit the off roader that the full size is but the reality is only in certain situations. A full size stock base might be relatively equal to a Badlands Sport but thatā€™s really the closest it gets. Itā€™s really tough to beat ground clearance even with rear lockers.

That being said, the Badlands Sport is an awesome vehicle and extremely practical while being a blast to drive. No reason for anyone to feel inferior to a full size. Two completely different vehicles.
So far the damage is flat front left tire (I'm hoping its dirt in the bead again), extensive pinstripping, scrapped rear right wheel from when I slid into a rut. And I'm taking it into the dealer to have the bead fixed and to take a look at the underbody. No warning lights popping up but there were some good thunks and if the car survived all that with relatively minor damage it will be impressive.

I'm still very impressed with the car, but you're right, there's nothing that replaces clearance and 35s are just a massive advantage by themselves.

The way I would describe the car now is it is a light off roader. Lets be honest I pushed it as hard as most anyone whos not a Ford employee with a test car will push it and it did quite well. Kept us safe, got us home, no complaints from the car so far. It also drives a lot better on the freeway than the big bronco and its a much better doggy car. Its a good all rounder and as the saying goes, jack of all trades master of none.

I wonder what my impressions will be once the dealer takes a look. And thank God I had that bashguard, it earned its keep before but it may have saved the car from serious damage.

One of the things I had to learn to do due to low clearance is to simply go over big rocks with my wheels and not trust the clearance. I think one of the most exhausting aspects of the ride was having to be vigilant everywhere on the trail due to the limited clearance. I had to be better with my lines and I had to be much more careful. Obviously the Badsquatch was hardly bothered by any of that until the very end but then again that thing is a purpose built off roader and a fun toy but doesn't make a great car around town which is where my car is 99% of the time.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I've tested my BL a bit in rock, mud, sand, and snow, and other than clearance, I have no complaints. I got jammed on a rock and had to either jack up the rig or dig out the rock. The mattock was handy, the jack wasn't. I put an 1-1/2" lift on my Jeep Liberty and larger tires, and it made it a true off road vehicle. I'll do the same to this one when my tires wear out.

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Great write up and an epic adventure.
My first experience in the Bronco Sport off-road was in the Glamis sand dunes training to drive it in the Rebelle. I was so stoked realizing this little car can do much more than people think. But, that being said, I always have my traction boards (just in case I do get stuck)

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Hopefully the flat can get sorted out. Replacing a set of wheels might be easier than the tires. 4 tires... $900ish. 4 wheels from a take-off seller... $200-300. Then you have a set for scuffing and a set for driving. Except those parts of the country where it's both at once. Worst thunk I've given mine so far was with a snatch strap. So many places you could get to, and anything lesser without the hooks for it and you would be SoL. Still, I don't want to recover it like that again. So many panels and all are just taped together. You have to expect stuff to break when you wheel. Does seem higher risk / more costlier with a Sport.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
So far the damage is flat front left tire (I'm hoping its dirt in the bead again), extensive pinstripping, scrapped rear right wheel from when I slid into a rut. And I'm taking it into the dealer to have the bead fixed and to take a look at the underbody. No warning lights popping up but there were some good thunks and if the car survived all that with relatively minor damage it will be impressive.

I'm still very impressed with the car, but you're right, there's nothing that replaces clearance and 35s are just a massive advantage by themselves.

The way I would describe the car now is it is a light off roader. Lets be honest I pushed it as hard as most anyone whos not a Ford employee with a test car will push it and it did quite well. Kept us safe, got us home, no complaints from the car so far. It also drives a lot better on the freeway than the big bronco and its a much better doggy car. Its a good all rounder and as the saying goes, jack of all trades master of none.

I wonder what my impressions will be once the dealer takes a look. And thank God I had that bashguard, it earned its keep before but it may have saved the car from serious damage.

One of the things I had to learn to do due to low clearance is to simply go over big rocks with my wheels and not trust the clearance. I think one of the most exhausting aspects of the ride was having to be vigilant everywhere on the trail due to the limited clearance. I had to be better with my lines and I had to be much more careful. Obviously the Badsquatch was hardly bothered by any of that until the very end but then again that thing is a purpose built off roader and a fun toy but doesn't make a great car around town which is where my car is 99% of the time.
As you have learned, that is the safest way. That does not change regardless of vehicle or tire size.

it funny how times have changed and then again not. It used to be that 31 tires were big and 33ā€™s were huge. The same problem existed back then. You were stuck unless you had 33ā€™s. Now itā€™s 40ā€™s. I used to think mud was great. Weā€™d go out and it was tough to tell whoā€™s truck was whose. These days I prefer hard pack and challenging lines over mud holes and trails.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
As you have learned, that is the safest way. That does not change regardless of vehicle or tire size.

it funny how times have changed and then again not. It used to be that 31 tires were big and 33ā€™s were huge. The same problem existed back then. You were stuck unless you had 33ā€™s. Now itā€™s 40ā€™s. I used to think mud was great. Weā€™d go out and it was tough to tell whoā€™s truck was whose. These days I prefer hard pack and challenging lines over mud holes and trails.
50's are the new 40s....and at that point they'll just be monster trucks. And I agree, mud can be fun....but mud hides deep holes, hard lips and really is a bitch to walk around in. Funny enough though, the time where the guy with the Big Bronco was impressed with the Sport was that bog where I got stuck the first time. On the way out I took the line I wanted to the first time and while I made it, baby bronco got deep in the mud and had to scratch and claw its way out of there. Like I had to keep the throttle up of course and work the wheel and the car kept working to find traction and eventually it did and clawed its way out.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Great write-up!

I just read about the Bronco Trail Map. Interesting. I want to go to Shawnee National Forest and Iā€™m looking for something like that for the Sport.
On X helped me in the Shawnee National Forest. I have On X and Gaia. Working on learning and understanding both.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
On X helped me in the Shawnee National Forest. I have On X and Gaia. Working on learning and understanding both.
Iā€™d like to join you the next time you go to Shawnee.

Actually, this applies to others too.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Amazing review of your experience! Thanks for sharing with us! I took a drive up Palomar Mountain in SoCal a few months ago and had a fantastic time. I even got to take it in a little snow.
Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) IMG_1781
Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) IMG_1776
Ford Bronco Sport Took my Badlands on the trails and found its limits (...unintentionally) IMG_1784
Hello fellow San Diegan! Good to see you enjoyed Palomar I havenā€™t been up there yet. And great to see thereā€™s a bit of snow up there as well. I bet this thing is a blast up drive in that.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Iā€™d like to join you the next time you go to Shawnee.

Actually, this applies to others too.
I am considering Land between the lakes or The MarknTwain National Forest. These have more forest road options i believe.
Sponsored