Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
When the back tires wear out, I again put the new ones on the front. That way I always have my newest tires on the front.
This works for front-wheel-drive vehicles. For rear-wheel-drive the tires with the most tread go on the rear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I haven't rotated tires in 30 years. With the price of tires, it was always a budget buster to replace 4 tires. When the fronts wear out, I put new ones on the front. When the back tires wear out, I again put the new ones on the front. That way I always have my newest tires on the front.

In my lifetime, I've had two front wheel blowouts at 70 mph. In both cases, it pulled me out of my lane, and off the road. Good front tires are important, and holding the steering wheel with both hands is too.
Anything involving my family’s safety has no budget, and I always keep our tires well maintained. That’s why I was a little put off finding out that Ford doesn’t even rotate tires according to their own recommendations in their cars manuals. Albeit they are being rotated front to back and my tires have equal wear, it still perturbs me.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Anything involving my family’s safety has no budget, and I always keep our tires well maintained. That’s why I was a little put off finding out that Ford doesn’t even rotate tires according to their own recommendations in their cars manuals. Albeit they are being rotated front to back and my tires have equal wear, it still perturbs me.
I think they put a chip on one of rims with their friggin' airgun but I can't prove it for sure.

Not sure if they even torque the lug nuts. I'm paying for a service, do it right.

Next time I will take photos of each rim before they put their paws on them again.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Since it does not make the tire rotation any easier to do a 'straight' pattern, here's my theory:

It's the most foolproof pattern. There's no need to be concerned with whether the tires are directional if they are kept on the same side of the vehicle.

Likewise, not rotating the spare eliminates the chance that an old and/or mismatched spare may be mounted on the vehicle -- which would incur liability if the spare were to fail.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
For me, I trust no one! I'll rotate them myself using hand tools (no impact even though I have one). Anytime I have new tires put on or repaired, I will verify the air pressure and retorque the lugnuts. Any time I had tires replaced on my F350 Dually, I would always request them to air the tires to 60 psi. They would always air them all the way up to max (85 psi) despite the request. An unloaded dually truck with 85 psi is extremely unstable at highway speeds. Cheers!

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
"This works for front-wheel-drive vehicles. For rear-wheel-drive the tires with the most tread go on the rear."

It isn't about traction, it is about safety.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What method are you all using for rotation? I have been having my tires rotated every 5k miles with oil changes at my local Ford dealer. Well my wife's BS got a flat late last week, neighbor patched it, and she wants it replaced with a new tire. No big deal, but I just had the tires rotated yesterday while having her oil changed and I called Ford on my way to @Discount Tire to verify that the back right tire had been rotated to the front left as I assumed it would. Well it turns out my dealer only uses a front to back/back to front rotation, unless specifically requested for another pattern. WTF.

If you are having your tires rotated at your Ford dealer have you ever asked them what rotation pattern they use? I really need to start doing some of these things myself with the prices they want for The Works package with a full synthetic blend.
I do the same as you, I bring my Badlands to the dealer for the Works package and they rotate the tires. 27k miles tires wearing evenly and no issues.

You can usually find discounts for the Works package service as well as using Ford Pass points which makes it not so pricey.

I don't want to lay on the ground anymore, having done it for years. If I had my own lift maybe I'd reconsider.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
For me, I trust no one! I'll rotate them myself using hand tools (no impact even though I have one). Anytime I have new tires put on or repaired, I will verify the air pressure and retorque the lugnuts. Any time I had tires replaced on my F350 Dually, I would always request them to air the tires to 60 psi. They would always air them all the way up to max (85 psi) despite the request. An unloaded dually truck with 85 psi is extremely unstable at highway speeds. Cheers!
You touched on some good topics:

* Some shops don't use a torque wrench, some do not even use 'torque sticks'. Lug nuts are often severely over-tightened.

* I do sometimes use my impact wrench to take lug nuts off, because it's quicker -- plus it makes that cool sound that makes me feel like a real mechanic. :cool:

* Tire inflation -- many tire shops seem to believe more pressure = better. Many people in general have that mistaken belief also, but it is inexcusable from a "professional" tire shop.

Tire mfrs all have "Load & Inflation" tables. They are primarily aimed at trucks and RV's. The max pressure on the sidewall is only necessary if the tire will be carrying its full rated load. If not, it will be overinflated. That is particularly the case with the rear tires on pickup trucks. There is a large difference in the load on the rear tires from an empty bed to a full load.

Passenger vehicles are usually fine with the mfr recommended psi. Some European mfrs actually have 2 or 3 recommended pressures: 1) light load; 2) full load; 3) sustained high speed.

Almost everyone is aware that underinflation can be dangerous, but overinflation can be as well. Excessive pressure can cause:

* A smaller contact patch, which can increase braking distance and adversely affect handling.
* A harsh ride.
* Increased chances of punctures
* Greater chance of a blow-out from hitting a pothole, curb, etc.
* Tramlining
* Excessive center treadwear.

Shops that inflate tires to the max pressure on the sidewall are not doing their customers any favors.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I have my factory tires mounted on Chrome Verde mag wheels. I have 4 snow tires mounted on my factory wheels. I'm almost 80 years old, but still do my own oil changes and tire rotations twice a year. It's much cheaper. I know it's done correctly, and I enjoy doing it.
Ford Bronco Sport Tire Rotation 100_6783.JPG

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I have my factory tires mounted on Chrome Verde mag wheels. I have 4 snow tires mounted on my factory wheels. I'm almost 80 years old, but still do my own oil changes and tire rotations twice a year. It's much cheaper. I know it's done correctly, and I enjoy doing it.
Ford Bronco Sport Tire Rotation 100_6783.JPG
Generally, I don't like chrome, but Man, oh Man, those wheels are sharp!
{insert Wolf whistle here}

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Generally, I don't like chrome, but Man, oh Man, those wheels are sharp!
{insert Wolf whistle here}
Thank You ! I originally bought these wheels for my '14 Ford Escape Titanium. Then I put them on my '17 Lincoln MKC. Next was my '19 Ford Edge Titanium. Now they are on my '23 OBX. I don't drive a lot of miles, so I've also used the same snow tires mounted on the factory wheels of all these vehicles.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The only time I ever hydroplaned was in a gov't pickup with bad tires. I know how to control a spinout.

I've had front and rear blowouts, and a rear blowout is nothing compared to a front wheel blowout. The one time Discount Tire put the new tires on the back, the vehicle was squirrely on the freeway. I've never had a vehicle act like that before or since. I took it back and had them put the new tires on the front. No issues.

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I change my oil every 3k and request to have the tires rotated. After reading this thread, Im going to be more specific on how I want my tires rotated

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I change my oil every 3k and request to have the tires rotated. After reading this thread, Im going to be more specific on how I want my tires rotated
I'm just about done with having any work done at Ford to be honest. I may try the other dealer in town once just to see. Their salesmen are uber aggressive though so I'm sure the service department is the same. My dealer that I purchased from I just always feel like I'm checking their work after everything. They've reinstalled the skid plate upside down (LMAO), lost all the bolts for that secure the underside of the bumper to the skid plate twice and just left it flopping there, and also have forgottent to torque the bolts on the skidplate when they were done. So I have to tell the service adviser everything I need them to remember to do and then climb under the car myself when they are down to verify it's been put back together correctly. Honestly after typing this all out I'm embarrassed I keep giving them my business.
Sponsored