Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Has anyone else had this happen? Both sides. It only goes to a car wash. My other sport has no issues with the stock pieces.

Ford Bronco Sport Stained plastic. 20230622_201254

Ford Bronco Sport Stained plastic. 20230622_201304

Ford Bronco Sport Stained plastic. 20230622_201319
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Someone had something similar on the grille after going to a car wash.

Edit: I put the CeraKote plastic stuff on my trim and it seems to be working pretty well 6 months later.

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It that's only the Tectico/DGE/whatever plastic doing it, I would say the item uses inferior plastic. I have had pretty good luck with Turtle Wax ICE and McGuire's Hybrid Ceramic spray on plastic pieces restoring the sheen and not leaving a wax haze. But that looks chemically altered. Probably SOL unless you want to paint or replace it.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
That's the 'eventual' state of that ABS plastic for all of us. It just looks like the process was expedited on yours. You can revive it with some Turtle Wax trim restorer, but it'll probably end up right where it is again if you don't seal it somehow like @Meanderthal

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Also, FWIW, there are TWO types of 'plastic trim side vents' for the Bronco Sport. IMO, you lucked out and got the one that you can completely cover in a vinyl decal in your choice color. The other version of the side trim, the vinyl decal will only cover a portion.

smolbnd

Big Bend
First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I *think* I have this starting on my drivers door handle - I got my BB BS last Tuesday, only taken it through the car wash (wand) once a few days ago.

Ford Bronco Sport Stained plastic. IMG_2702

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I go through an automated car wash once or twice a month and have no ill effects at all.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I go through an automated car wash once or twice a month and have no ill effects at all.
Same here. My 2019 Escape was taken through numerous car washes over the course of three years and the black plastic was fine. No change at all.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
My OE on the other sport is fine. This is the Tectico marker lights.

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
Do you us the automatic or the manual one? Iā€™ve been doing a touchless automatic here in my town, but it doesnā€™t do a good wax job so I started washing it by hand with the wand in their bays, so Iā€™m wondering if a manual one would cause this since I just started using it.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
Iā€™ve run mine through the wash a lot, but itā€™s also ceramic coated. No issues.

Tectico

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 mt82 / 2016 Camaro 2SS tr6060
Have you tried using trim restorer? I personally use AutoGlym but there are many other brands makes trim restorer for ABS trims.

Area51BS

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I treat all my black plastics with Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray. Stays clean, black and no greasy residue. Vinegar works well at removing mineral stains off of vehicle surfaces. Rinse then use the Griots one r a month or two.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
You can easily repaint that with some SEM Satin Black Color Coat vinyl paint and it will look like new. SEM is what the professionals use. You want to clean with alcohol, spray it with SEM prep, then spray with SEM vinyl paint. The SEM prep is called a vinyl paint promoter and will make the surface a little sticky until you paint it. The paint is very forgiving and minor runs will be absorbed into the plastic and unnoticeable. The paint dries in 15 minutes but I always wait 24 hours before handing the pieces. Never sand the plastic pieces because that will remove the surface texture.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
weird.... was going to say that perhaps there wasn't a UV inhibitor added to the resin before the material was molded... resulting in the fading but, then again, the lack of consistent fading in the part make it look more like a chemical reaction... Hmmm... interesting. Wonder how it will react over time.
Sponsored