Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Noticed this spot(s) today after doing a suds wash. Something ate the black finish off the A pillar down to white plastic. Only these spots in this photo. I don't use ammonia window cleaner because of the tint. The only other thing I can think of is the washer fluid. The spots are like where the fluid would blow off the wiper arm. I use the off-the-shelf premix that's probably the same thing in a bottle everywhere. Could that be enough ammonia to strip the black finish!? Crazy stuff.
Ford Bronco Sport New threat to the black plastic IMG_20220603_114816718

EDITS:
I've been applying drops of stuff to the pillar near these white spots and walking away. It's not:
Washer Fluid.
Glass Cleaner.
McGuire's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax.
Turtle Wax ICE.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Never seen that. Though, for there to be precisely those few dots knowing the washer fluid pretty much sprays everywhere doesn’t add up.
That looks to be damage by rocks or someone ruining it for you.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
looks like a rock chip to me....
Kind of an odd location for a collection of rock chips all together. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but the odds seem to be about as good as winning the PowerBall.

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
First they scratch by looking at them. And now they chip

OP
OP
Glamdring70

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's not a rock chip. It's completely smooth to the touch. If it was a rock, it would have to be the wettest, splashiest rock to ever fly. I took the best photo I think I can get. In person you can see the gloss finish goes flat, then cloudy, then white. It has soft edges and they're oval shaped. It would have also had to magically hit the underside of the side of the pillar, circled here in red. Arlen Specter would be jealous of this theorized magical space pebble.

It's more white in the center than the edges. I imagine something liquid sat on it and evaporated to the middles of the spots. I doubt a drop of flying brake fluid from a passing car hit it. Anything I've sprayed has been all over the piece and the whole car. Maybe it's some kind of defect from the coating when it was made and it washed and waxed itself into being? But I have no reason to suspect the ceramic wax, the wash soap or anything else I have done, so it's just a mystery unless someone sees it and says "me too!" which happens all the time. So maybe something will reveal in time.

Ford Bronco Sport New threat to the black plastic DSC04955_A

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Kind of an odd location for a collection of rock chips all together. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but the odds seem to be about as good as winning the PowerBall.
yeah I get that…definitely something did that damage…but from wiper fluid? I don’t think so.

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Maybe bird shit that you didnt clean for a while.. you didnt use some type of sticker remover or anything there

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
First they scratch by looking at them. And now they chip
That's the best description for that gloss black trim.
yeah I get that…definitely something did that damage…but from wiper fluid? I don’t think so.
I can't imagine any wiper fluid doing that, especially when the fluid basically sprays everywhere.

Tawnygal

First Edition
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
We got similar, though not identical, spots after the following: we drove on a road that was graveled with crushed calcium carbonate (the roads look like gravel roads, but appear very light, almost white.) The rig was very dusty and we got rained on. Got home and noticed the spots, so went through a touch-free carwash. Everthing washed off except the ones on the plastic. We tried rubbing off with a microfiber towel, thinking it was just a dried water spot. They didn't budge. My husband grabbed a soft, regular kitchen sponge and thought that would take care of it. It didn't AND it scratched the surface of the A pillar... This was week 2 of owning and I've had a large sticker over it since :/

OP
OP
Glamdring70

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Liquid spray/drops of debris from a car passing by..?
I've never figured it out and it never developed more spots. It's absolutely the black paint or whatever being dissolved off the white plastic though. Not a chip or gouge.
Sponsored