Sport Windshield prone to attract rocks and chip easily

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi All. Im wondering if anyone has noticed similar challenge. In the last year of driving my Bronco highway and city I have had numerous chips and cracks from rocks being spit up from cars or trucks ahead of me. Im kind of glad i waited to replace the windshield from first crack and milked it because no joke two weeks later another crack. I hear the rocks hit and even a few days ago a car coming opposite side of traffic somehow hit a rock that shot up and hit my Bronco windshield with yet again another chip. I feel like the angle and pitch of the windshield Is part of this. I have driven these same roads for many years with my F250 and minivans and Jetta. I never had this issue and neighbors think it has to be the Bronco. I also do not ride the rear ends of other cars ahead of me. If a car passes me and a rock shoot up from them or even if there a good distance ahead it has happened.
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
There’s alot of posts here on that topic and many more on the Fb Bronco Sport groups. A quick search for windshield on Bronco Sport Forum shows 25 pages of posts (on my iPhone), most of the posts likely are about the rock chips, angle of windshield, quality of glass, etc

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
And before everyone starts talking about thin glass etc, windshield thickness is regulated by our friends in Washington for safety.

brynamic

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hadn’t noticed the BS any better or worse than any other vehicle I’ve owned (except for my Wrangler), until this past Thanksgiving. On that one road trip, I received two large chips from two different vehicles. Of course, one was exactly eye level right in front of the drivers view so I replaced the Windshield.

TNFurb

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Similar threads in the Maverick forum. I have both the BS and a Maverick and haven’t had issue in either one yet. I have had to replace windshields in other vehicles though. Other than making sure one doesn’t follow another too closely, I honestly think it is jsut luck of the draw. I don’t think there is anything regarding the quality of the ford windshields. Of course the more upright the windshield , then I assume the more prone it might be to catching a rock.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've now had my 2021 Outer Banks almost 3 years and don't see where it's more or less liable to get chips and cracks. I haven't had any in it yet and typically I get 1 every 6 years or so in my other vehicles.

OTOH, I don't tailgate.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I've now had my 2021 Outer Banks almost 3 years and don't see where it's more or less liable to get chips and cracks. I haven't had any in it yet and typically I get 1 every 6 years or so in my other vehicles.

OTOH, I don't tailgate.
Yep.
Just about all windshields are thinner today and subject more to cracking. The BS is no different.

metalbender

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
My 23 Big Bend caught a stone from an oncoming grain truck two days after I picked it up. Windshield needed to be replaced.

CherylD

Badlands
First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't feel it's any worse than any other vehicle but in my area, the roads are worse than they have ever been. Last year we had rain that popped huge chunks of asphalt out and they are just now fixing them. I hang back from traffic and watch the road to be sure I don't land in a pot hole throwing chunks out to my fellow drivers. Not everyone does that though.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I've replaced a bunch of windshields in my time, but I never had to pay $890 for one before. I'm hoping this one lasts more than a year and a half.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep.
Just about all windshields are thinner today and subject more to cracking. The BS is no different.
The last request to change the impact standard was in 2012. I don’t know what was finally agreed to. That was a push to change the projectile drop height from 3.x meters to 2.x meters. That was mainly for side glass but who knows what was finally entered into the 49 CFR 571.205 regulations. The thickness as far as I know is still 5mm. Approximately 2mm of inner and outer glass and approximately 1mm of plastic in between.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've replaced a bunch of windshields in my time, but I never had to pay $890 for one before. I'm hoping this one lasts more than a year and a half.
How much was the windshield and how much was the recalibration needed due to the Nannie’s?

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I do a lot of highway driving and did notice a fair share of rocks hitting vehicle. One even cracked my windshield as well. After installing my Aeroskin ii hood protector it’s kind of rare now when one reaches the windshield.