Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I do believe you are wrong and it is different. The car is still "operating" when the autostop engages if on. When you press the "off" button all power is cut off everywhere. It can't be good for the electronics; it would be like just powering off your computer without closing out programs or closing windows. Just holding the power button til it turns off; you will have all sorts of problems in the future.
Good luck anyways; hope it's covered under warranty
Guess I need to look at the manual and see if letting them vehicle put itself into park could have caused this.
Interesting that it doesn't even say to put in park. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=7450&languageCode=EN&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2087786&ProcUid=G1547517&userMarket=usa&div=f&vCode=&vFilteringEnabled=False
Sponsored

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
Thatā€™s a thing now a days? You can just turn off the vehicle without putting it in park first? (I donā€™t have a BS, yet, so Iā€™m curious on this)
Maybe thatā€™s whatā€™s caused this since it did throw transmission errors?

ā€¦ just spit-balling hereā€¦
I don't know about all new cars doing this, but I know that the Mustang Mach-e does this. At the beginning of July, I had my '19 Ranger in for warranty work and the dealership gave me their Mach-e as my loaner. It has the tranny selector knob in the console. Not bing used to this set-up, I forgot to turn the selector knob to park a couple of times and as soon as I turned the car off, it the gear indicator changed to park.

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Ru
I decided to take it for a short drive and found that the transmission seems to be slipping. I can also smell something burning

I will have to read up and find out where the transmission dipstick is.

Well, there is no dipstick. Guess we have to wait for it to leave her stranded somewhere.

Last edited:

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I think the shift to park is because of Anton Yelchin. Killed by his Jeep Cherokee when it backed up and pinned him.
He wasn't the only one to have the Jeep backup unexpectedly but he was/is famous.
That was tragic. Loved that actor.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I decided to take it for a short drive and found that the transmission seems to be slipping. I can also smell something burning

I will have to read up and find out where the transmission dipstick is.

Well, there is no dipstick. Guess we have to wait for it to leave her stranded somewhere.
I wouldnā€™t drive with those symptoms bud.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Dealership told her the ā€œfirst available appointment is September 21stā€ and they cannot even look at it now. They said, if the light starts to flash, to pull over and shut it off immediately, then have it towed to them.

I have never had a sensor go out on any new car I have had. This is very surprising and now I am concerned we will have more issues. Maybe we should not have purchased a first year vehicle after all.
Again, can happen to any vehicle any age or miles from new. Nothing to do with first run.
Most new acceptable sensor failure rates are probably three per thousand off the shelf.
They all come from China and If built here weā€™d probably have similar failure rates.
Thatā€™s what warranties are for.
It will probably be your last problem.
Back in the Apollo mission days the flight crew would not relax until they had that one glitch.
This is trueā€¦..

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, can happen to any vehicle any age or miles from new. Nothing to do with first run.
Most new acceptable sensor failure rates are probably three per thousand off the shelf.
They all come from China and If built here weā€™d probably have similar failure rates.
Thatā€™s what warranties are for.
It will probably be your last problem.
Back in the Apollo mission days the flight crew would not relax until they had that one glitch.
This is trueā€¦..
Well,

I certainly hope it is just a sensor and they wonā€™t need to replace the transmission. It went into limp mode as soon as she pulled out of the driveway this morning. Ford sent a tow truck and they are picking her up at noon. She had to cancel her two morning patients (home Health Nurse).

I would think our Bronco would by somewhat higher on the priority list now, since the rental will cost them each day.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So, I called another local dealership and they said the same thing. They have their parking lots full of cars waiting to be serviced and cannot get it in until the 20th.

But wait,,, it gets even better. They donā€™t have any loaner or rental cars to provide, And, it is likely that we wonā€™t be able to find a rental from any of the other rental places (hertz, etc) in the event if it going into limp mode.

*** on a side note, the misses just told me that she had been hearing a weird noise coming from the vehicle for the last week. She described it as sounding like a printer getting ready to print a document. She said she even heard it when the vehicle was turned off. Iā€™m wondering if it has something to do with the new turn knob shifter for the transmission that automatically puts the transmission into park when shutting it off.
When my dealer installed my hitch (included in purchase) they gave me a new car with three miles on it to drive. Ended up taking three days before I got my BS BB back. Dealer did me right.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Doesnā€™t help your situation but we had a brand new factory ordered Grand Marquis puke its tranny fluid all over our driveway after picking it up and driving 20 miles homes. Not encouraging, but it got towed and fixed and returned with what almost seemed like an embarrassed dealership. We did have another car to use so loaner wasnā€™t needed.
As said, perfect opportunity for dealer to perform customer service. Escalate to corporate.
Years ago bought a new Explorer, first year of edition. Transmission was a new model also. Within days it malfunctioned. Dealer pulled transmission out of new one on lot and put it in mine. Ready to go next day. They told me Ford wanted all malfunctions sent to them to investigate and stop problem at production point. Never had any other problems with Explorer again.

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago bought a new Explorer, first year of edition. Transmission was a new model also. Within days it malfunctioned. Dealer pulled transmission out of new one on lot and put it in mine. Ready to go next day. They told me Ford wanted all malfunctions sent to them to investigate and stop problem at production point. Never had any other problems with Explorer again.
That would be awesome if they were able to do that. For now, we have a running vehicle for her to drive. Hoping it will be a fast turnaround.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
I was relating my experience with Ford over my BS order to a stranger and he said I should I should move upscale if I wanted better service. I'll have to look into that, does say Lexus treat their customers better than Toyota? Are Mercedes and BMW, better ?
I'm the 3rd owner of a 99 BMW 328i. I took it in to get the Air Bag Recall done. At the time it was leaking Power Steering fluid - junky car. When it was done- they pulled it up- it was washed and then they sanitized it right in front of me and said "here you go Mr.- have a nice day" ...
I have 3 new Fords in the last 1.5 years.- they only time they washed my vehicles is when body work was done for various fender benders and break ins that happened to them.

As for VOLVO....in the far past - they would give me a loaner when I turned in my 93' 240 for service on a Friday (They did not work on Saturdays back then) and I returned it on Monday after having a weekend of fun with the V70 wagon- oh yeah! But now - no more loaners if you have don't have a post-Ford (2011+)Volvo- they looked at my 07 XC90.....said "Sorry no loaner for you!"

I live in the SF Bay Area - so fortunately I have serval FORD Dealers I can call if need be. My Bronco sat in my driveway for 2 months- after a break in and had to wait for OEM glass though. That was around 700 miles. - but that's for another post.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
@kapk22 weā€™re all pulling for you man. I think theyā€™ll do you right, you may have to wait a bit, but theyā€™ll return that Bronco to you better then new.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Dealership told her the ā€œfirst available appointment is September 21stā€ and they cannot even look at it now. They said, if the light starts to flash, to pull over and shut it off immediately, then have it towed to them.

I have never had a sensor go out on any new car I have had. This is very surprising and now I am concerned we will have more issues. Maybe we should not have purchased a first year vehicle after all.
I told my son about this dealer delay in service. He manages a fleet of thousands of trucks, many Ford F350's. He replied "I know. I face this every day." He says part of the problem is lack of service employees. It seems no business can staff properly nowadays. Good luck with your unit, hopefully it is just a bad sensor and will operate fine. I would file a complaint with Ford. They need to be aware of unreasonable service delays even if they are beyond dealer's control.
Sponsored