SERIOUSLY???? 851 miles and this??

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I'm on my third Toyota in three years, I keep moving up. Prius then RAV4 Hybrid and now 4Runner.

The local Toyota dealers are nothing special as far as service goes.

Sales, even less so...
Sponsored

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m wondering if it has something to do with the new turn knob shifter for the transmission that automatically puts the transmission into park when shutting it off.
That’s a thing now a days? You can just turn off the vehicle without putting it in park first? (I don’t have a BS, yet, so I’m curious on this)
Maybe that’s what’s caused this since it did throw transmission errors?

… just spit-balling here…

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Every car company has shitty service, you only get a quality service from dealers who hire people who care. As far as loaner cars go, dealers aren't required to give you a car it's something they do as a customer service perk. However that cost to the dealer has obviously gone up and I'm sure with COVID they have additional cleaning and employees needed to handle these protocols. They'll be back one day, you just have to wait right now. Additionally COVID has reduced the number of workers in the service center causing service delays.
It's not a decision based on what they make, I wanted to pay for an aftermarket install, still had to wait just as long for the warranty service. So instead of just complaining about the shitty service, why don't you thank them for being there instead of giving them a hard time.
Calling corporate to complain about a dealer isn't gonna solve anything. They don't own dealers or have anything to do with the service other than paying for the warranty work. I know a lot of Ford owners who also feel the Lincoln service centers are better, but they generally charge more but are still able to handle all the warranty work.
If your dealer service center sucks find a new one. I lived within a mile of a Ford and the service advisor was so rude and bad I chose to drive 45 minutes to the next dealer. In addition I didn't even bother taking advantage of the 2 free oil changes they offered me when I bought the car, or the free oil change I got from the owner after I wrote a letter stating I bought a car from them and within 2 weeks the way I was treated at service was the reason they'll never see me again. I also emailed her when I got this BS to let her know that service is the key to repeat sales business. I bought my new BS at a great service department but still takes 10 days for a service appointment during COVID.
Just cause you think it's easy to pull a car in and hook it up to find out what's wrong doesn't solve the problem, just slows down everything else since they have to stop what they are doing to pull your car in hook it up for a 5 minute test it and then park it. Makes no sense if they can just do that when they have time to do all the work.
Next is the new first time car issues... There isn't really much new and untested on this vehicle. It's using a lot of previous versions of vehicles they have in production. Every vehicle and car company on the road has issues but yes getting them on the road is key and you'll find out what's wrong as they start to bounce around on drives. That's why they call it a break-in period. If they can't fix it there is a lemon law to protect you. I have used this once in my life and it wasn't for a first year release. I have had 2 other first model years in my life and no issues on them one was the original Explorer which made it to 140k before having a major issue. Luck of the draw when buying a car, or maybe it's just karma, so keep complaining so I get the better car and service!

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I'm on my third Toyota in three years, I keep moving up. Prius then RAV4 Hybrid and now 4Runner.

The local Toyota dealers are nothing special as far as service goes.

Sales, even less so...
Depends where you live. When we bought the car I am not allowed to mention here on this forum, the sales people at Toyota were astonishingly good and significantly better than Ford. The knew more about the car as well. We were super pleased with them.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Every car company has shitty service, you only get a quality service from dealers who hire people who care. As far as loaner cars go, dealers aren't required to give you a car it's something they do as a customer service perk. However that cost to the dealer has obviously gone up and I'm sure with COVID they have additional cleaning and employees needed to handle these protocols. They'll be back one day, you just have to wait right now. Additionally COVID has reduced the number of workers in the service center causing service delays.
It's not a decision based on what they make, I wanted to pay for an aftermarket install, still had to wait just as long for the warranty service. So instead of just complaining about the shitty service, why don't you thank them for being there instead of giving them a hard time.
Calling corporate to complain about a dealer isn't gonna solve anything. They don't own dealers or have anything to do with the service other than paying for the warranty work. I know a lot of Ford owners who also feel the Lincoln service centers are better, but they generally charge more but are still able to handle all the warranty work.
If your dealer service center sucks find a new one. I lived within a mile of a Ford and the service advisor was so rude and bad I chose to drive 45 minutes to the next dealer. In addition I didn't even bother taking advantage of the 2 free oil changes they offered me when I bought the car, or the free oil change I got from the owner after I wrote a letter stating I bought a car from them and within 2 weeks the way I was treated at service was the reason they'll never see me again. I also emailed her when I got this BS to let her know that service is the key to repeat sales business. I bought my new BS at a great service department but still takes 10 days for a service appointment during COVID.
Just cause you think it's easy to pull a car in and hook it up to find out what's wrong doesn't solve the problem, just slows down everything else since they have to stop what they are doing to pull your car in hook it up for a 5 minute test it and then park it. Makes no sense if they can just do that when they have time to do all the work.
Next is the new first time car issues... There isn't really much new and untested on this vehicle. It's using a lot of previous versions of vehicles they have in production. Every vehicle and car company on the road has issues but yes getting them on the road is key and you'll find out what's wrong as they start to bounce around on drives. That's why they call it a break-in period. If they can't fix it there is a lemon law to protect you. I have used this once in my life and it wasn't for a first year release. I have had 2 other first model years in my life and no issues on them one was the original Explorer which made it to 140k before having a major issue. Luck of the draw when buying a car, or maybe it's just karma, so keep complaining so I get the better car and service!
Pretty much.

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Ru
That’s a thing now a days? You can just turn off the vehicle without putting it in park first? (I don’t have a BS, yet, so I’m curious on this)

Yep. It surprised me the first time I saw it. I told her to make sure and manually turn it to the park mode when she parks until we can get it in to be looked at. I am crossing my fingers it is just a sensor, as mentioned.

And, to clarify further, one of my main purposes in posting about this was to see if anyone else on here had a similar experience with their BS.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yep. It surprised me the first time I saw it. I told her to make sure and manually turn it to the park mode when she parks until we can get it in to be looked at. I am crossing my fingers it is just a sensor, as mentioned.

And, to clarify further, one of my main purposes in posting about this was to see if anyone else on here had a similar experience with their BS.
I know the feature the dealer showed me was opening the door while in drive it'll automatically go to Park. But to leave it in drive and turning off the vehicle can not be good for the electrical side/gears and what not.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I think the shift to park is because of Anton Yelchin. Killed by his Jeep Cherokee when it backed up and pinned him.
He wasn't the only one to have the Jeep backup unexpectedly but he was/is famous.

ImdaJesus

Big Bend
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Dealership told her the “first available appointment is September 21st” and they cannot even look at it now. They said, if the light starts to flash, to pull over and shut it off immediately, then have it towed to them.

I have never had a sensor go out on any new car I have had. This is very surprising and now I am concerned we will have more issues. Maybe we should not have purchased a first year vehicle after all.
I have the transmission noise like in the "On this episode of is this noise normal" I called to make an appointment 2 weeks ago and they told me the earliest I can get in is Sept 20th. And it's been getting worse I now have the noise at 27mph

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the shift to park is because of Anton Yelchin. Killed by his Jeep Cherokee when it backed up and pinned him.
He wasn't the only one to have the Jeep backup unexpectedly but he was/is famous.
My Jeep does this. Kinda sucks for wheeling though. I cannot remember if the Tazer can over ride that

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the transmission noise like in the "On this episode of is this noise normal" I called to make an appointment 2 weeks ago and they told me the earliest I can get in is Sept 20th. And it's been getting worse I now have the noise at 27mph
I will have to check into that and see if it is what she is hearing. Thank you for the input

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

In reality your engine cuts on and off constantly, so pressing the power off really isn't much different. When you hit the power button when in gear, the computer changes it to park for you, so I don't think it would cause a problem if they chose to have it happen.
According to the manual, it will also put the emergency brake on if you shift to park without your foot on the break. It stood out cause I was like why would you not have your foot on the brake if you're shifting to park.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
In reality your engine cuts on and off constantly, so pressing the power off really isn't much different. When you hit the power button when in gear, the computer changes it to park for you, so I don't think it would cause a problem if they chose to have it happen.
According to the manual, it will also put the emergency brake on if you shift to park without your foot on the break. It stood out cause I was like why would you not have your foot on the brake if you're shifting to park.
I do believe you are wrong and it is different. The car is still "operating" when the autostop engages if on. When you press the "off" button all power is cut off everywhere. It can't be good for the electronics; it would be like just powering off your computer without closing out programs or closing windows. Just holding the power button til it turns off; you will have all sorts of problems in the future.
Good luck anyways; hope it's covered under warranty

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I do believe you are wrong and it is different. The car is still "operating" when the autostop engages if on. When you press the "off" button all power is cut off everywhere. It can't be good for the electronics; it would be like just powering off your computer without closing out programs or closing windows. Just holding the power button til it turns off; you will have all sorts of problems in the future.
However all the electronics are still in accessories mode until you open the doors. I definitely am not suggesting to do this as normal activity. But still, I can't imagine it's bad if the car itself is making the adjustment under it's own power.

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess I need to look at the manual and see if letting them vehicle put itself into park could have caused this.
Sponsored