Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
They told you that no BS trim levels have the tow eye?! I know there are posts from owners saying their BS came with the tow eye. Pages 264 & 265 in the BS owner's manual refer to the "towing eye", and there is an image of one. It does say "if equipped" -- so perhaps some BS trims do not have a tow eye, but clearly at least some do.

I was just told earlier today -- by both our dealer's service manager and a Ford CSR -- that none of the Bronco Sports ever came with an engine cover. You aren't the first person to post that your BS has one though. I pointed that out to them but they stuck with their story -- as if all of the posts I've seen from BS owners are wrong. Perhaps they were confused, but there does seem to be a widespread 'disconnect from the truth'.

My memory isn't the best, but as far as I recall, the majority of BS owners who report having an engine cover have 2021 models -- although I believe I've read posts by some 2022 BS owners who say they also have the cover. AFAIK, the engine cover's sole purpose is just to cover all of those 'ugly' wires and hoses -- to give the engine bay a cleaner look. If that's true, I'm not too worried about it.

As you said, the shackle hitch receiver replaces the rear tow eye -- and from what I understand it is better/stronger. That being the case, had Ford supplied even a basic shackle hitch receiver we'd be in good shape. We'd at least have a recovery point, rather than nothing at all. As it is, in addition to the ~$500-$600 BS owners spent on the tow package, we're looking at another ~$40 to $60.

Needless to say, none of this is end of the world stuff -- it's mostly the principle involved. As I told the Ford CSR earlier, if we had purchased a used BS BL "as-is" that would be one thing, but like most BS owners here on the BS Forum we paid full MSRP; plus the dealer's bogus "Doc Prep" fee of $500 (MD state max); and then waited for months (which we expected under the circumstances). It seems reasonable to expect that if our Badlands has missing parts (understandable given the supply issues) that they will be provided free of charge as soon as reasonably possible. Ford and/or the dealer should not act like they are doing us a favor!

It also seems reasonable to have expected that Ford would not go 'backwards' with features -- like eliminating the folding headrests in the rear (unless that was a supply issue that will be corrected).

You're right, on older cars like your Mustang -- and particularly even older than that -- there was typically no need for a tow eye because there were usually several safe places to hook up underneath.
I pointed out the tow wye thing many times. But it was 28$ or something like that. Mine is MY2021. My OB I traded in did NOT have an engine cover.

People use a lot of the YouTube stuff for proof tho too, and honestly I’ve seen a guy on YouTube with an outer banks talking about how his rear locker automatically kicks in. So…. Maybe the lower trims didn’t… I don’t know. Maybe they stopped like they announced in MY2022 on the BL. You are right tho, it’s mostly a decoration. It’s just a piece of foam a bit like a yoga block (like what you would use to make a holster wedge). So I doubt it does much. MAYBE it helps with the clicking and weird sounds the newer engines allow you to hear cause they are so quiet. My OB clicked more. But my BL sounds just like my2015 stang I traded in for this journey. It sounds weird. But I’m used to the sounds. They mostly disappear above 85 ambient temp and/or once it gets up to temp.
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I pointed out the tow wye thing many times. But it was 28$ or something like that. Mine is MY2021. My OB I traded in did NOT have an engine cover.

People use a lot of the YouTube stuff for proof tho too, and honestly I’ve seen a guy on YouTube with an outer banks talking about how his rear locker automatically kicks in. So…. Maybe the lower trims didn’t… I don’t know. Maybe they stopped like they announced in MY2022 on the BL. You are right tho, it’s mostly a decoration. It’s just a piece of foam a bit like a yoga block (like what you would use to make a holster wedge). So I doubt it does much. MAYBE it helps with the clicking and weird sounds the newer engines allow you to hear cause they are so quiet. My OB clicked more. But my BL sounds just like my2015 stang I traded in for this journey. It sounds weird. But I’m used to the sounds. They mostly disappear above 85 ambient temp and/or once it gets up to temp.
My mistake, I thought you said your BS had the engine cover. I'll scratch your name off the witness list. :cool:

My guess is that the engine cover is (was) just for aesthetics. If that's the case, and if I owned a BS that had one, there's a good chance it would end up on a shelf in our garage (if it was in the way).

If Ford really did officially delete it from the 2022 BS then -- end of story. That seems to be the case (although I haven't seen anything in writing from Ford). If it is another part missing due to supply problems though, then I would expect Ford to replace it when it becomes available. If for no other reason than when we sell it, potential buyers might question why it's missing.

In short, any part that is supposed to be on the BS should be supplied by Ford when they are able to do so.

Regarding the cost of the tow eye -- $28 is not going to wipe out anyone here on the forum. The primary issue (for me anyway) is not the money, but the principle involved. A tow eye is a basic piece of emergency equipment, like a spare tire or a jack. Buyers reasonably expect a new vehicle to come with a tow eye (in most cases). Of course Ford and other mfrs are free to start deleting items that have been standard equipment for decades, but at a minimum they should be upfront about it -- not just remove parts and hope no one notices.

An exception is the BS BL with the tow package. The BL has recovery hooks in front and there is no threaded hole for a tow eye in the rear, so no tow eye is necessary. However, Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver to use in place of the rear tow eye. I'm under no delusions that they will do that, just saying it's the right thing to do -- especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road.

At a bare minimum, Ford could at least warn owners that there is no rear recovery point on any Bronco Sport with the tow package, and make a shackle hitch receiver available at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My mistake, I thought you said your BS had the engine cover. I'll scratch your name off the witness list. :cool:

My guess is that the engine cover is (was) just for aesthetics. If that's the case, and if I owned a BS that had one, there's a good chance it would end up on a shelf in our garage (if it as in the way).

If Ford really did officially delete it from the 2022 BS then -- end of story. That seems to be the case (although I haven't seen anything in writing from Ford). If it is another part missing due to supply problems though, then I would expect Ford to replace it when it becomes available. If for no other reason than when we sell it, potential buyers might question why it's missing.

In short, any part that is supposed to be on the BS should be supplied by Ford when they are able to do so.

Regarding the cost of the to eye -- $28 is not going to wipe out anyone here on the forum. The primary issue (for me anyway) is not the money, but the principle involved. A tow eye is a basic piece of emergency equipment, like a spare tire or a jack. Buyers reasonably expect a new vehicle to come with a tow eye (in most cases). Of course Ford and other mfrs are free to start deleting items that have been standard equipment for decades, but at a minimum they should be upfront about it -- not just remove parts and hope no one notices.

An exception is the BS BL with the tow package. The BL has recovery hooks in front and there is no threaded hole for a tow eye in the rear, so no to eye is necessary. However, Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver to use in place of the rear tow eye. I'm under no delusions that they will do that, just saying it's the right thing to do -- especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road.

At a bare minimum, Ford could at least warn owners that there is no rear recovery point on any Bronco Sport with the tow package, and make a shackle hitch receiver available at a reasonable cost.
Nope. I do have cover. Guess I wasn’t clear. I traded the OB (no cover) for the BL (yes cover) after a month.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I do have cover. Guess I wasn’t clear. I traded the OB (no cover) for the BL (yes cover) after a month.
OK, you're back on the witness list!

Just to be clear, both were/are 2021 models?

O Nelly

Badlands
First Name
Judy and Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Since there didn’t seem to be any specific part numbers listed for a BS rear tow hook, I took a chance on this one (6M2Z-17A954–A) listed on Amazon. It seemed to fit various years of Escapes and Transits but no mention of Bronco Sports. I learned the other day that Ford doesn’t list parts that fit your vehicle but rather parts that came with your vehicle. I gather no one’s BS came with a rear hook therefore one doesn’t show in the parts list. This will be tucked away for emergency use in the spare tire area along with a strap. Cost around $35 but I bought a “used” one for $26 and free shipping which wasn’t used but the box was damaged. Very good week with hood struts and insulator hood pad added as well.

C576CFB1-DA81-415E-BA66-E95A5E490000.jpeg

00F3FF14-F23C-4026-892B-4745EFB0A750.jpeg

41F248A2-6266-406A-BED7-E4B9CBBA2D1B.jpeg

63A2111A-6927-4A0C-ADF9-1AD664F8D38C.jpeg

C3624299-63E9-4045-B751-7CD4E5191309.jpeg

4AD05180-3904-45E2-942E-9FE941201F4B.jpeg
I just looked at our BSBL today and popped the little cover off and there is nowhere to screw a hook into like you are showing. I do have the tow hitch with the chain loops which could be used. Did anybody hear the screw assembly is left out if tow hitch option is installed?
Dennis

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I just looked at our BSBL today and popped the little cover off and there is nowhere to screw a hook into like you are showing. I do have the tow hitch with the chain loops which could be used. Did anybody hear the screw assembly is left out if tow hitch option is installed?
Dennis
Yes, the hitch covers up that threaded hole.

O Nelly

Badlands
First Name
Judy and Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Thanks, Meanderthal. Afyer I had written that my brain kicked in and sort of figured the tow hitch could be used.
Btw....this is Judy's husband Dennis or Gerald.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dennis
Hi Gerald,

We discussed this some above. From my post #62:

"Regarding the cost of the tow eye -- $28 is not going to wipe out anyone here on the forum. The primary issue (for me anyway) is not the money, but the principle involved. A tow eye is a basic piece of emergency equipment, like a spare tire or a jack. Buyers reasonably expect a new vehicle to come with a tow eye (in most cases). Of course Ford and other mfrs are free to start deleting items that have been standard equipment for decades, but at a minimum they should be upfront about it -- not just remove parts and hope no one notices.

An exception is the BS BL with the tow package. The BL has recovery hooks in front and there is no threaded hole for a tow eye in the rear, so no tow eye is necessary. However, Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver to use in place of the rear tow eye. I'm under no delusions that they will do that, just saying it's the right thing to do -- especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road.

At a bare minimum, Ford could at least warn owners that there is no rear recovery point on any Bronco Sport with the tow package, and make a shackle hitch receiver available at a reasonable cost."

~

I'd hesitate to use the chain loops except for easy recoveries (e.g., BS stuck in a snowbank on a level road). They may be OK, but they are designed to hold a 2,000 lb. trailer if the hitch fails -- not to yank a >4,600 lb. (fully loaded) BS BL uphill out of a mud pit. Maybe the chain loops would be OK but without Ford or someone knowledgeable saying so, my plan is to buy a shackle hitch receiver.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yes, the hitch covers up that threaded hole.
Actually, the hitch bracket replaced the bracket the threaded hole is in. Semantics I know. Either case, the threaded hole is not there if you have a factory installed hitch.

O Nelly

Badlands
First Name
Judy and Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm so confused. Is Judy's husband Dennis, or Gerald? Or both? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sorry for the confusion. I'll stick with Gerald. I am one in the same!

O Nelly

Badlands
First Name
Judy and Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hi Gerald,

We discussed this some above. From my post #62:

"Regarding the cost of the tow eye -- $28 is not going to wipe out anyone here on the forum. The primary issue (for me anyway) is not the money, but the principle involved. A tow eye is a basic piece of emergency equipment, like a spare tire or a jack. Buyers reasonably expect a new vehicle to come with a tow eye (in most cases). Of course Ford and other mfrs are free to start deleting items that have been standard equipment for decades, but at a minimum they should be upfront about it -- not just remove parts and hope no one notices.

At a bare minimum, Ford could at least warn owners that there is no rear recovery point on any Bronco Sport with the tow package, and make a shackle hitch receiver available at a reasonable cost."

~

I'd hesitate to use the chain loops except for easy recoveries (e.g., BS stuck in a snowbank on a level road). They may be OK, but they are designed to hold a 2,000 lb. trailer if the hitch fails -- not to yank a >4,600 lb. (fully loaded) BS BL uphill out of a mud pit. Maybe the chain loops would be OK but without Ford or someone knowledgeable saying so, my plan is to buy a shackle hitch receiver.

You are very right about not using the tow chain access brackets. We just attended the Texas Bronco Off-Roadeo and they covered that point very well. They mentioned to either purchase a insert which will accept a shackle or (the easiest) use a keeper pin for a ball insert and put the pin through the loop on the end of tow strap. Gerald

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are very right about not using the tow chain access brackets. We just attended the Texas Bronco Off-Roadeo and they covered that point very well. They mentioned to either purchase a insert which will accept a shackle or (the easiest) use a keeper pin for a ball insert and put the pin through the loop on the end of tow strap. Gerald
I've pulled a few vehicles out of snow banks, shallow mud, and ditches, but otherwise all I know about this stuff is what I've read online. Some people do recommend using a hitch pin as you described. I also read a few posts which said that a pin could bend and in some cases even get stuck.

I have no idea. My guess is that is would take a hell of a lot of force to bend a hitch pin -- assuming it's decent quality.

Using a hitch pin through the loop on a tow strap should work OK for relatively straight pulls, but but if the angle is too great, the strap will rub on the inside edge of the receiver. Some videos show guys filing those edges to help protect the strap, but it's still less than ideal to stress a strap that way.

(From my post above): Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver to use in place of the (deleted) rear tow eye. I'm under no delusions that they will do that, just saying it's the right thing to do -- especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I've pulled a few vehicles out of snow banks, shallow mud, and ditches, but otherwise all I know about this stuff is what I've read online. Some people do recommend using a hitch pin as you described. I also read a few posts which said that a pin could bend and in some cases even get stuck.

I have no idea. My guess is that is would take a hell of a lot of force to bend a hitch pin -- assuming it's decent quality.

Using a hitch pin through the loop on a tow strap should work OK for relatively straight pulls, but but if the angle is too great, the strap will rub on the inside edge of the receiver. Some videos show guys filing those edges to help protect the strap, but it's still less than ideal to stress a strap that way.

(From my post above): Ford should supply a shackle hitch receiver to use in place of the (deleted) rear tow eye. I'm under no delusions that they will do that, just saying it's the right thing to do -- especially with the Badlands which is designed to be driven off-road.

I think this will work .

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook D20A712B-8F92-4A87-8FEC-0712CFD51FA1

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook F9DE4155-4DBB-41A7-8DE3-3F2F48F182FA
Sponsored