Read Before you buy a Bronco Sport!!

West Kove

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
This year I got a 2022 bronco sport outer banks, I was the second owner at just 11,000 miles. After just 1 month I couldn't tolerate driving it any longer and got rid of it. Visually the vehicle is great and the seats are extremely comfortable. It's also great on gas, I averaged around 32 mpg.

The unfortunate part is the transmission. It's an 8 speed transmission and you feel EVERY SINGLE 1... of those 8 shifts. That's fine if you are off roading but as a daily driver this is extremely annoying. Especially the shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd can really jerk you around. It's a common issue that according to the service center is normal for that transmission. People will try using different G.O.A.T modes to even out the shifts but it doesn't help much. Imagine driving after work and you're tired, maybe have a headache and the car is jerking your head around. Then you hit traffic and have to keep going through those lower shifts which are the worst ones.
ThIs is my personal opinion as someone who transitioned from an extremely smooth Ford CVT transmission, so depending on what you're used to those shifts may not bother you. Also, highway driving is wonderful since there is no shifting, if that's what you need it for there's no issue. It's the daily around town drivers that should steer clear of getting this car.

The Bluetooth system has a very long lag of 3-5ms. If you're playing music from your phone expect a lag from the time you click skip to when it actually takes the action. When playing videos on your phone the sound from the car speakers will not match the picture on your device. I've updated the system to the latest version and it does not solve this issue.

There's no automatic lift gate but they try to sell you on the fact that the glass opens separately which would be great but it's too small. Taking an average grocery bag which most people will be loading weekly it will not fit in that space. with how small the opening is, makes it very situational maybe lumber. But for most an automatic lift gate is more functional.

The adaptive cruise control also has flaws, Because it uses the lines to steer If there is an exit lane that does not have the dashed lines separating it, the car may try to exit you from the road, a few times i really had to fight the steering wheel to keep going straight. It also has a problem with cars merging into your lane in front of you and may break unexpectedly because it either doesn't understand what's happening or it can't measure the cars speed until it's registered in front of you. I've tried adjusting the following distance but I think it has to do more with the pre-collision system.

That brings me to the issue with the pre collision system. I've seen this with cars making a U turn in front of me but there is no turn lane. As a human I know the car will U turn out of my lane in plenty of time but the bronco sport doesn't understand that action and thinks the car is just stopping in the road. The collision system has gone off every time and it is loud and a bit terrifying. If you live somewhere were U turns are made often without a left turn lane this will be a nuisance.

This model is one that squeaks or moans when you reverse. It's a common and known issue for many owners and can be very loud when it occurs. According to service there is a temporary fix only that may last for a short period found in a service bulletin, but no permanent solutions as of now. If you leave early in the morning, be prepared to position your car so that you do not need to reverse. Otherwise you may be waking up your family.

This one is probably a personal issue but I'm 5'7" and I like to have a high seating position. my arm could not reach on the center console at all and just barely on the door armrest. The sun visor has a curve on one side, once flipped down the curve keeps it from sitting properly, partially blocking your view while driving. This is a common issue people mention, Of course lowering your chair down may solve both of those problems but you might not be as comfortable.

The auto start stop feature turns on every time the car is started. You can turn it off but you must turn it off every time. I've noticed at times when the engine restarts it violently jerks the whole car. The 3 cylinder engine although great on gas is known to have more vibration and idle noise than a 4+ cylinder engine. This is apparent if I placed my hand on the steering wheel while stopped the vibration shook my watch back and forth, feels like one of those push gas lawn mowers. However, for me the auto start stop feature didn't function at colder temperatures so maybe colder climates may not have to deal with this feature as much.

Overall, I could have looked past all of these issues, but the transmission shifts were just too unbearable for me. I hope some of these issues I've listed can help inform those that are looking to purchase. And once again these are my opinions based on my experience.
Sponsored

TnPapaw

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
Totally not my experience. I'm 5'-7" as well and my arm rests comfortably on the center armrest. My transmission is very smooth even when accelerating hard. I familiarized myself on the model before purchase, so the liftgate and the hatch are a non-issue for me.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I'm happy with mine.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I'm no BS fanboy but I can say I have no shifting issues. As far as the cargo door being automatic, not a big deal to me. It's light and if I can't fit something through the open window, I open the light cargo door.
No issues also with adaptive cruise and collision mitigation. I also just push the start/stop off button when I start her up. It's automatic for me.
Now if you want to talk about the 1.5L engine. I'm not a fan. I just don't trust it.

Last edited:

Oso Fell

Badlands
First Name
Oso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
This year I got a 2022 bronco sport outer banks, I was the second owner at just 11,000 miles. After just 1 month I couldn't tolerate driving it any longer and got rid of it. Visually the vehicle is great and the seats are extremely comfortable. It's also great on gas, I averaged around 32 mpg.

The unfortunate part is the transmission. It's an 8 speed transmission and you feel EVERY SINGLE 1... of those 8 shifts. That's fine if you are off roading but as a daily driver this is extremely annoying. Especially the shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd can really jerk you around. It's a common issue that according to the service center is normal for that transmission. People will try using different G.O.A.T modes to even out the shifts but it doesn't help much. Imagine driving after work and you're tired, maybe have a headache and the car is jerking your head around. Then you hit traffic and have to keep going through those lower shifts which are the worst ones.
ThIs is my personal opinion as someone who transitioned from an extremely smooth Ford CVT transmission, so depending on what you're used to those shifts may not bother you. Also, highway driving is wonderful since there is no shifting, if that's what you need it for there's no issue. It's the daily around town drivers that should steer clear of getting this car.

The Bluetooth system has a very long lag of 3-5ms. If you're playing music from your phone expect a lag from the time you click skip to when it actually takes the action. When playing videos on your phone the sound from the car speakers will not match the picture on your device. I've updated the system to the latest version and it does not solve this issue.

There's no automatic lift gate but they try to sell you on the fact that the glass opens separately which would be great but it's too small. Taking an average grocery bag which most people will be loading weekly it will not fit in that space. with how small the opening is, makes it very situational maybe lumber. But for most an automatic lift gate is more functional.

The adaptive cruise control also has flaws, Because it uses the lines to steer If there is an exit lane that does not have the dashed lines separating it, the car may try to exit you from the road, a few times i really had to fight the steering wheel to keep going straight. It also has a problem with cars merging into your lane in front of you and may break unexpectedly because it either doesn't understand what's happening or it can't measure the cars speed until it's registered in front of you. I've tried adjusting the following distance but I think it has to do more with the pre-collision system.

That brings me to the issue with the pre collision system. I've seen this with cars making a U turn in front of me but there is no turn lane. As a human I know the car will U turn out of my lane in plenty of time but the bronco sport doesn't understand that action and thinks the car is just stopping in the road. The collision system has gone off every time and it is loud and a bit terrifying. If you live somewhere were U turns are made often without a left turn lane this will be a nuisance.

This model is one that squeaks or moans when you reverse. It's a common and known issue for many owners and can be very loud when it occurs. According to service there is a temporary fix only that may last for a short period found in a service bulletin, but no permanent solutions as of now. If you leave early in the morning, be prepared to position your car so that you do not need to reverse. Otherwise you may be waking up your family.

This one is probably a personal issue but I'm 5'7" and I like to have a high seating position. my arm could not reach on the center console at all and just barely on the door armrest. The sun visor has a curve on one side, once flipped down the curve keeps it from sitting properly, partially blocking your view while driving. This is a common issue people mention, Of course lowering your chair down may solve both of those problems but you might not be as comfortable.

The auto start stop feature turns on every time the car is started. You can turn it off but you must turn it off every time. I've noticed at times when the engine restarts it violently jerks the whole car. The 3 cylinder engine although great on gas is known to have more vibration and idle noise than a 4+ cylinder engine. This is apparent if I placed my hand on the steering wheel while stopped the vibration shook my watch back and forth, feels like one of those push gas lawn mowers. However, for me the auto start stop feature didn't function at colder temperatures so maybe colder climates may not have to deal with this feature as much.

Overall, I could have looked past all of these issues, but the transmission shifts were just too unbearable for me. I hope some of these issues I've listed can help inform those that are looking to purchase. And once again these are my opinions based on my experience.
Iā€™ve purchased mine new but after several weeks I regret it. Iā€™ve never owned a NEW vehicle that rattles and squeaks inside the cabin like the bs. Weā€™ve purchased 6 new vehicle in the past 9 yrs so yeah, curious. Ford really did a poor job when it comes to fit and finish. Besides the interior noise that sounds like a vehicle going on its 10th year, the plastic pieces within are sharp at the joints and various connection points. I just want take a nail file and devote a whole day to smooth them out. But why should I? Never again.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
This year I got a 2022 bronco sport outer banks, I was the second owner at just 11,000 miles. After just 1 month I couldn't tolerate driving it any longer and got rid of it. ā€¦
Wow you captured nearly every one of the more common complaints and had the misfortune to have all of them on a single vehicle where many other owners just reported 1 or 2 items.

But you didnā€™t mention battery issues so count your blessings that didnā€™t occur in the 1 month you owned the car.

Buying used often is a risk but that car is gone and soon to be sold off to the next unsuspecting owner. Hoping you left a note listing the issues in the glovebox or somewhere else for the next buyer.

BTW .. I cannot understand why you bought the vehicle bc nearly everything you reported could have been observed in a good test drive. When I buy used I check everything over and when I have doubts I have a mechanic do a deep dive. Even on my brand new Badlands I checked over the car completely - that took at least 3 hours to try every feature.

Buying used is buyer beware and who knows if the 1st owner abused the vehicle. Not everything you reported is occurring on every vehicle.

Last edited:

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I love my sport and will drive it till itā€™s dead or I am or my wallet is, but I do have to agree on the shifting. Iā€™m at 10k miles and since day one, those first three gears you feel every single shift. As long as itā€™s considered normal Iā€™m fine but youā€™re definitely not wrong. If your coming from a cvt it would be super noticeable

TNFurb

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I haven't experienced any item on this list. Literally not a single one. I do wish the opening on the rear glass were a little taller, but Iā€™ve taken grocery bags in and out multiple times without a problem. My transmission is smooth and quiet on my ā€˜23 BS OBX. I have no squeaks or rattles. Fit and finish is really good. Sure, the auto start/stop has to be turned off with each engine start if you donā€™t want it on but that has been the case with every vehicle Iā€™ve owned with this feature, no matter the manufacturer. I leave mine on and it has worked flawlessly And doesnā€™t even come close to what I would call ā€œviolently jerking the whole carā€ when it starts back up. I am only 5ā€™8ā€ and have no problems resting my arm on the center console or on the door sill. Sorry you experienced something that sounds like a completely different vehicle than mine.

B-Dog15

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I bought my BSBB brand new in ā€˜23. I have never had any shifting issues at all. Honestly, I havenā€™t had any issues (knock on wood) with mine. In fact, it is my favorite car Iā€™ve owned (04 Chevy TrailBlazer is a close second). I also donā€™t experience any of the rattling people complain about even after I put larger clunky tires on it. I would chalk that up to poor QC by Ford and not a Bronco Sport issue because pretty much any new Ford can sound like your shaking Legoā€™s in a tin can due to their QC.

I also donā€™t understand the folks who trash the 1.5L? All in all it is a very reliable engine and It has plenty of power even in Eco mode while still getting fantastic mileage. While the sound system isnā€™t quite up to parr with my ā€˜21 Kia Seltos Bose sound system, it really is not bad at all especially when you tune it how you want it.
I think when people buy these BS they are expecting something that this vehicle is not meant to be. Are the overpriced? Maybe but so is everything else in this economy. I have thoroughly enjoyed my BS and plan on driving it into the ground.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I had my outer banks for almost three years and had none of those problems. It was no big deal opening the gate and the glass opening was great for carrying long pieces of lumber. Had no problems shifting and towed my 2K camper with no trouble. Only reason I traded it was for more towing capability and that was for a Maverick, same transmission and no problems with it either.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve purchased mine new but after several weeks I regret it. Iā€™ve never owned a NEW vehicle that rattles and squeaks inside the cabin like the bs. Weā€™ve purchased 6 new vehicle in the past 9 yrs so yeah, curious. Ford really did a poor job when it comes to fit and finish. Besides the interior noise that sounds like a vehicle going on its 10th year, the plastic pieces within are sharp at the joints and various connection points. I just want take a nail file and devote a whole day to smooth them out. But why should I? Never again.
Only noise i have heard in my BS is the plastic insert in the defroster vent on the drivers side by the windshield!!If i grab a hold of the Vent driving down a bumpy road the noise goes away!!

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I bought my BSBB brand new in ā€˜23. I have never had any shifting issues at all. Honestly, I havenā€™t had any issues (knock on wood) with mine. In fact, it is my favorite car Iā€™ve owned (04 Chevy TrailBlazer is a close second). I also donā€™t experience any of the rattling people complain about even after I put larger clunky tires on it. I would chalk that up to poor QC by Ford and not a Bronco Sport issue because pretty much any new Ford can sound like your shaking Legoā€™s in a tin can due to their QC.

I also donā€™t understand the folks who trash the 1.5L? All in all it is a very reliable engine and It has plenty of power even in Eco mode while still getting fantastic mileage. While the sound system isnā€™t quite up to parr with my ā€˜21 Kia Seltos Bose sound system, it really is not bad at all especially when you tune it how you want it.
I think when people buy these BS they are expecting something that this vehicle is not meant to be. Are the overpriced? Maybe but so is everything else in this economy. I have thoroughly enjoyed my BS and plan on driving it into the ground.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
You would like that 1.5 Eco Boost even more with a JMS Pedal Max installed!!

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
My 22 BSOBX was great at first when I bought it new, but it became a nightmare later on.

My doors would rattle with the bass of the music. I didnā€™t have it turned up and I left it all on factory settings, but it would rattle the front doors really bad. I ended up replacing the driverā€™s side door panel and was gonna replace the front passenger one and the driverā€™s side was doing it again. Asked why that was, was told it was cheap plastics.

The moaning whale noise when backing up was embarrassing as hell. I had it fixed by the service bulletin twice and it still did it.

Yeah my transmission jerked at lower gears. My Escape and my Fusion did the same thing. It must be a Ford thing.

My rear window leaked from a seal around the rear brake bar that wasnā€™t good. After it was fixed, it still leaked.

Engine vibrated pretty rough when in the drive thrus at times.

Iā€™m trying to remember all that I had issues with because I did have a list, but šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø.

The biggest thing for me was that engine fire bs. I had major anxiety that it could happen to me. I had a fire exit plan in place in case it did happen. My friends and family were also worried for my safety.

I ended up trading it in a while ago for a 2020 GMC Terrain and happy with my decision. I have no rattles, everything feels good in quality, rides comfortably, shifts smoothly with the 9 speed it has, the 2.0 is fast, and it gets similar gas mileage as the BS with that turbo 4 cylinder.

Iā€™m completely done with Ford. They burnt me on buying another car from them after what I went through with the BS which is sad because my Fusion was one of the best cars I ever owned. I donā€™t really know where Ford is heading, but itā€™s not up with all the quality issues these cars have.
Sponsored