KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
I think it is more than a turbo lag. I am aware that the turbos take a bit but this is more drastic of a power hesitation. I am driving in normal mode 90% of the time and sport 10%.
I haven’t experienced this with my BS, but this happened to my previous vehicle, Mercedes GLA, and it was the turbo. They had to replace the whole turbo. I know exactly what you mean with the delay and then it jumping.

Babybronco89

Big Bend
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 22' BS BB is doing this I don't know if it's the same issue but I'll be at a stop in normal mode. I'll put my foot on the throttle when green and the RPMs will almost redline but the car won't go anywhere. I'm seeing multiple different fixes for it from whole transmission swaps to turbos. I'm taking mine into Ford today but worried they'll tell me nothing is wrong.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Old thread, but my response would have been to check the air filter.
or
Look for unmetered air leaks.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
No problems with hesitation with my Big Bend with a/c on or any time. No torque steer with 1.5 either. Don't know why people feel 181 horses is too little. My 1976 Rally Sport Camaro had a V8 5 litre that only produced 150 horses and the 350 4 barrel V8 only made 165. Neither had any power problems. Don't be afraid to give it a little gas, oh and 87 octane is just fine.
Totally agree with you. I have had cars with 400,500&600 horsepower. I have not seen any problem with my Big Bend 1.5 liter on hot days with hesitation. I think a lot of these guys are full of crap.

Nam3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Trying to get a headcount to see how big of an issue this is as I have seen one or two other posts on here.

My badlands has been experiencing more frequent throttle delay and lag in power. I have 3,500 miles on the car, I use 91 octane, and am experiencing a lag in power when I accelerate. It happens often from a dead stop when I begin accelerating again. I will press on the throttle and there will be no response for what seems like 1+ to 2 seconds and then the car will jerk forward and accelerate. This also happens at low speeds when I am leaving my driveway around 1st or 2nd gear. The car seems like it is trying to figure out which gear to shift to and the shifts become very “jerky” and not smooth. I have had multiple passengers notice how abrupt and hesitant the shifts are at low speeds of 10-20 mph. I know this is a known issue at high temperatures 90+ but I have noticed this at 70-80 degrees as well.

The last straw was this past weekend when I began to merge onto a highway with plenty of room and the hesitation in power occurred again. I ended up almost cutting off someone and had to floor it once the throttle finally responded.

If anyone has had similar issues let me know. I am happy to consolidate and contact Ford if this is a big enough issue for a recall etc..

Thanks.
This is exactly the thread I've been looking for. I have this problem in my Outer Banks. I can slam my foot all the way to the floor and nothing will happen for 2 seconds, and then all the sudden if jerks foward or slowly winds up is more like it. I thought I fixed it by adding a Pedal Commander, and while I do love the Pedal Commander and highly recommend it. Unfortunently now that it's reaching 100 in AZ this issue has started up again in the last week or so. Did you ever find out what the cause or fix is?

Last edited:
OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
This is exactly the thread I've been looking for. I have this problem in my Outer Banks. I can slam my foot all the way to the floor and nothing will happen for 2 seconds, and then all the sudden if jerks foward or slowly winds up is more like it. I thought I fixed it by adding a Pedal Commander, and while I do love the Pedal Commander and highly recommend it. Unfortunently now that it's reaching 100 in AZ this issue has started up again in the last week or so. Did you ever find out what the cause or fix is?
I have the 4 cylinder badlands so may be a bit different but no i havent found out the cause. Have just been dealing with it and trying to roll into an acceleration if i am merging instead of accelerating from a stop etc.

I also still notice the jerk or hesitation at slow speeds between 1st and 2nd gear when i am leaving my house at below 25mph speeds. Good luck.

Nam3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It’s definitely using 87 grade gas and hot days. I began using premium gas and haven’t experience this delay a single time since. I don’t feel like going through the hassle of bringing it into the dealer, but i have a paper trail for the power delay.
I just filled up with Premium this morning so I will report back if that fixes the problem. I normally use 87.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
What you describe is exactly the same as my problem. It's interesting we have the same problem with 2 different engines but that tells me it's the computer. When I installed the Pedal Commander I was thinking I was bypassing the computer but I was wrong. And it does seem to be heat related even though the engine isn't overheating because it didn't happen to me during the winter and just started up again recently. And it doesn't start happening until I've been driving for a little while. I've actually learned to kind of feather the pedal when it's happening to make it less of an issue, but it's very frustrating from a dead stop.
Yea lot of people are having this issue im surprised there isnt a recall. My BS is fully loaded and sucks to pay that price for a vehicle with these type of issues.

Ford is lucky their adaptive cruise control with copilot 360+ and lane centering is so damn good otherwise i would consider it an average car. The badlands has great power and tech but this throttle lag/hesitation just sucks to deal with.

Babybronco89

Big Bend
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please report back your findings. I hate taking my BS to Ford because they keep it forever and never update me on what's going on.
Of course they had it for two days and couldn’t replicate it so they said it’s fine 🤦🏼‍♀️ at least now I can start a paper trail if it continues

Nam3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yea lot of people are having this issue im surprised there isnt a recall. My BS is fully loaded and sucks to pay that price for a vehicle with these type of issues.

Ford is lucky their adaptive cruise control with copilot 360+ and lane centering is so damn good otherwise i would consider it an average car. The badlands has great power and tech but this throttle lag/hesitation just sucks to deal with.
I'm a little shocked to be reporting this, but I think the premium gas might have fixed my issues. I don't want to get my hopes up because it's not even that hot here yet. But I put a full tank of Permuim this morning, which was 80 freaking bucks btw... And today on the way home from work I did not get the pause with nothing heppening from a stop, one single time. I can definitely feel the turbo lag everyone seems to think we are describing, but the full pause was gone. Yesterday it was terrible as soon as I got off the highway and hit the stop lights.

BrokenBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Mine was fine for few thousand miles and then huge delay. Clunky shifting, lag to shift into drive or reverse. Off throttle and then on throttle nothing and then bam shift and go. Super dangerous when backing into a road or merging. There’s nothing then it’ll go. Shifts into 2nd. 1-2 or 3-2 are very hard.
Never wheeled it. Just my DD.
Brought it up to dealer when it was in last and was told 3-4 months for rear end and 6 months possibly for a transmission.
Called Ford and was told same thing and bring to dealer. I can’t get a loaner, told to drive it until I can’t.
Putting it into sport helped some. But still felt awful to drive. I had to run super or it felt worse. I tried one tank of regular and the rest super 93 or better.
I’m now in a lifted wrangler with E rated 315s running 87 and I get the same fuel mileage as my badlands with 235s.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Mine was fine for few thousand miles and then huge delay. Clunky shifting, lag to shift into drive or reverse. Off throttle and then on throttle nothing and then bam shift and go. Super dangerous when backing into a road or merging. There’s nothing then it’ll go. Shifts into 2nd. 1-2 or 3-2 are very hard.
Never wheeled it. Just my DD.
Brought it up to dealer when it was in last and was told 3-4 months for rear end and 6 months possibly for a transmission.
Called Ford and was told same thing and bring to dealer. I can’t get a loaner, told to drive it until I can’t.
Putting it into sport helped some. But still felt awful to drive. I had to run super or it felt worse. I tried one tank of regular and the rest super 93 or better.
I’m now in a lifted wrangler with E rated 315s running 87 and I get the same fuel mileage as my badlands with 235s.
Yea this sounds just like my issue. Really hard shifts at low gears.
Sponsored