Power “delay” or “hesitation”.

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Trying to get a headcount to see how big of an issue this is as I have seen one or two other posts on here.

My badlands has been experiencing more frequent throttle delay and lag in power. I have 3,500 miles on the car, I use 91 octane, and am experiencing a lag in power when I accelerate. It happens often from a dead stop when I begin accelerating again. I will press on the throttle and there will be no response for what seems like 1+ to 2 seconds and then the car will jerk forward and accelerate. This also happens at low speeds when I am leaving my driveway around 1st or 2nd gear. The car seems like it is trying to figure out which gear to shift to and the shifts become very “jerky” and not smooth. I have had multiple passengers notice how abrupt and hesitant the shifts are at low speeds of 10-20 mph. I know this is a known issue at high temperatures 90+ but I have noticed this at 70-80 degrees as well.

The last straw was this past weekend when I began to merge onto a highway with plenty of room and the hesitation in power occurred again. I ended up almost cutting off someone and had to floor it once the throttle finally responded.

If anyone has had similar issues let me know. I am happy to consolidate and contact Ford if this is a big enough issue for a recall etc..

Thanks.
Sponsored

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Are you referring to turbo lag? what mode are you driving in?

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
There are 2 or 3 threads on this same issue, quite a few people have reported it. I live in Palm Springs and there have been tons of 120 degree days this summer. I made two appointments with Ford to have it looked at but they only had early morning appointments and I didn’t want them to rest drive it at 8 am when it was 90 degrees and then say they couldn’t recreate the issue. My wife swears that it only does it with the air conditioning on high, so she thinks it has something to do with the ac pulling too much power and not leaving enough for the motor.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
There are 2 or 3 threads on this same issue, quite a few people have reported it. I live in Palm Springs and there have been tons of 120 degree days this summer. I made two appointments with Ford to have it looked at but they only had early morning appointments and I didn’t want them to rest drive it at 8 am when it was 90 degrees and then say they couldn’t recreate the issue. My wife swears that it only does it with the air conditioning on high, so she thinks it has something to do with the ac pulling too much power and not leaving enough for the motor.
I never thought to link it to the a/c. I will give that a shot tomorrow with it on and off.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Trying to get a headcount to see how big of an issue this is as I have seen one or two other posts on here.

My badlands has been experiencing more frequent throttle delay and lag in power. I have 3,500 miles on the car, I use 91 octane, and am experiencing a lag in power when I accelerate. It happens often from a dead stop when I begin accelerating again. I will press on the throttle and there will be no response for what seems like 1+ to 2 seconds and then the car will jerk forward and accelerate. This also happens at low speeds when I am leaving my driveway around 1st or 2nd gear. The car seems like it is trying to figure out which gear to shift to and the shifts become very “jerky” and not smooth. I have had multiple passengers notice how abrupt and hesitant the shifts are at low speeds of 10-20 mph. I know this is a known issue at high temperatures 90+ but I have noticed this at 70-80 degrees as well.

The last straw was this past weekend when I began to merge onto a highway with plenty of room and the hesitation in power occurred again. I ended up almost cutting off someone and had to floor it once the throttle finally responded.

If anyone has had similar issues let me know. I am happy to consolidate and contact Ford if this is a big enough issue for a recall etc..

Thanks.
I have a first edition badlands and the only time I have experienced this is when I forgot to take it out of echo mode ,it definitely lags in that mode.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have a first edition badlands and the only time I have experienced this is when I forgot to take it out of echo mode ,it definitely lags in that mode.
Well that would make some sense that's kind of the point of eco, slower throttle response and tac. I would think it's more for city driving or long highway which is pretty much how I've attempted to use it.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have not had any lag or hesitation issues with my Badlands. When you really get on it, it has torque steer and will go where it wants, that gets your attention quick.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Well that would make some sense that's kind of the point of eco, slower throttle response and tac. I would think it's more for city driving or long highway which is pretty much how I've attempted to use it.
Yes ,I was on a couple hours trip the other day and averaged 27.7 mpg and was in echo mode then when I got back to the city and forgot to go into normal mode that’s when I got the lag . Other than that this thing runs really strong at 75/85 ,as it is not a sports car it runs as good as my old t bird turbo coupe from the year 1987. .By the way my t bird was also a 4 cylinder turbo car that would run out like crazy. It would run faster when the outside temps were in the 70 -78 .for a 4 cylinder it was fast car , had a blast with one guy that owned a grand national black car. That was a super fast car, we changed cars for a run ,unbelievably quick that grand national.

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Power loss with AC on is most noticeable on very small, very low output engines. At roughly 180 HP, I barely notice it on our cars.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
When I leave my house; I live in a "hilly" area. I always leave driving real easy til the vehicle warms up; I do this in any vehicle I drive wherever I am. In the BL at low speeds on inclines I feel a little hestation/jerky/lag of some sort; but it reminds me when I drive my pickup with my hubs engaged on the pavement and it's "grippen". So it kinda leads me to believe my BL's ECU is trying to determine if it should engage the rear wheels or not. ?‍♂
Other than that I've only felt turbo lag.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Power loss with AC on is most noticeable on very small, very low output engines. At roughly 180 HP, I barely notice it on our cars.
? heat may be a factor especially in eco mode.

Ford uses a variable displacement AC unit in many of it's products for economy. in other words the computer controlled compressor pumps more refrigerant during high demand and that puts a higher load on the engine.

I run some of these reported issues past my stepson and that's his from a distance take on this. He's been a Ford certified mechanic for 20yrs currently working as a service writer for a large dealership. At that dealership they're getting about one Bronco Sport a month in for warranty service.

Of the last three, 1 was for a bad AC compressor and 2 were for shifter module problems. Just so nobody has to ask :D no further details available.

aryus

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I've experienced this lag as well, mostly when temps get over 100. My suspicion is the throttle electronics are inadequately cooled at those temps. It's my biggest gripe so far with the BS.
Sponsored