Danielims

Badlands
First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mache- GT
Are there any gas or electric powered portable water heaters that you can put up outside your tent and use to run moderately warm water sort of like a hot water bag into your sleeping bag in brutally cold weather?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
You're looking for a diesel heater. Same idea, but pushes hot air into the tent. Exhaust stays outside.

Personally, I think they're overkill, unless you're doing a lot of winter camping. However, a lot of folks love them, and they've gotten much cheaper and more available lately.

I'd honestly consider one if it were easy to find gas powered ones. They exist, but they're expensive. I guess it's only the diesel heater patents that have expired resulting in a flood of cheap diesel tent heaters.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Are there any gas or electric powered portable water heaters that you can put up outside your tent and use to run moderately warm water sort of like a hot water bag into your sleeping bag in brutally cold weather?
Why don't you just get an electric blanket with a good inverter/generator?

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
How about a portable battery generator and an electric heating pad? I, personally, would prefer a hotel room.šŸ˜€

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
There are some fairly small ceramic heaters available for under desk in an office environment that may help . I bought one of those to heat my 3D printer enclosure. You would need a fairly large Jackery or equivalent to power it. I had some success with sticking some of the rechargeable hand warmers inside a sleeping bag (in 20 degree F weather).

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
A 500W ceramic heater paired with a BLUETTI AC180 1152Wh Portable Power Station would get you about 2 hours of heat .. more hours if you could dial down the heater. But not enough for a full nights sleep.

Not sure what the minimum wattage heater would get you thru a really cold night. Then thereā€™s the issue of how to charge the power station for the next night.

Ford Bronco Sport Portable water heater? Ima

Cjdicesare

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks and Lincoln MKC
If cold weather camping is something you do often then a diesel heater is what you want. I have one in my overland build roof tent that works a treat. If this is a rarely do Iā€™d recommend just a beefy battery and electric blankets inside the sleeping bag. A word of caution though, donā€™t zip up the sleeping bag when doing this. The last thing you want is for the heated blanket to catch fire and you be trapped in a sleeping bag with it. I wouldnā€™t go with electric heaters as your trying to heat up a large space (entire inside of tent) with a fairly limited supply of power and small heater.
If push comes to shove space blankets are your best friend.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
When I camp in the cold, I take my canvas tent with a stove jack and a wood stove. I highly recommend Springbar tents. That is what the trailer is for. I also have sleeping bag that is good down to 20Ā° below zero. I have confirmed that. I've also used one bag inside another to achieve extra warmth. Some people buy an airtight wood stove and keep it burning all night. I just use the stove when I'm awake, and the sleeping bag keeps me plenty warm while I'm sleeping. If it is warmer, I don't zip the bag.

I've also used a small oil filled heater powered by a Honda 2000 generator. It wil run all night on a gallon of gas. That worked to heat the back of my truck with a shell on it.

I tried a 15,000 BTU/hr propane heater in a 11'x 13' canvas tent. It didn't keep the tent warm.

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51