CallMeBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Grey Badlands
Starting to look into using the BS to go weekend camping and am looking for recommendations for a portable power unit to run the 12v fridge/freezer (37qt). Been looking at the Bluetti EB3A and the Ecoflow River 2 (trying to keep it under $300).
Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not sure you are going to find much at that price point for something like that, a brand I recommend is jackery, though they are a good bit more expensive than that

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Starting to look into using the BS to go weekend camping and am looking for recommendations for a portable power unit to run the 12v fridge/freezer (37qt). Been looking at the Bluetti EB3A and the Ecoflow River 2 (trying to keep it under $300).
Anyone have any suggestions?
You can't even get a large Yeti cooler for that much.....

sreesekelley

Big Bend
First Name
susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
I use a Jackery 240 to power a Bodega fridge freezer. It can be plugged into 12v for charging while driving and I have a 60w solar panel wired to plug directly into it. On a full charge, it will run the bodega for about 23 hours. The solar panel uses the internal controller on the Jackery so it plugs in directly and I wired it with extra long cords so I can place the panels where I want and move them around as the sun moves. Check out Bodega. they make compressor coolers/fridges in various sizes and price ranges. The Jackery or Bluetti are nice units because they have everything built in a nice case. You could buy individual components and make your own for much cheaper. YouTube is your friend if you want to learn more.

Reactions: tfg

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
I have a 22 liter electric fridge (12v) paid about 130. I have a knockoff jackery that is 278 wh with inverter (98 bux at Walmart dot com). I travel for work. When working I plug in the fridge to the power supply. I've left it plugged in overnight and still had over half charge. The fridge only uses 40 watts and works excellent.

Last edited:

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I looked at a 37 qt. unit online and it consumes 1000 watt hours/day, which comes out to around 40 watts. The battery pack you're looking at only has 256 watt hours, so it might not last through a hot night.

For around $80, you can buy a 20 ah LiFePO4. Two of those would give you twice the power. Add a 100 watt solar panel $70 (to run fridge and charge battery during the day) and a charge controller $20, and you should be fine.

I use 2 prong trailer connectors from auto parts stores for all of my connections and extension cords.

The only problem with LiFePO4 batteries is that they can't be charged below freezing. But if it is that cold, you won't need power for the cooler.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I'm a big fan of what Ecoflow is doing. You can get the River 1 Pro (not the River 2 Pro) for about $380 at Costco. I think you can get the River 1 on Amazon for like $280

I'm not going for any of these. Im definitley going for the River2 Pro, because I want something that has the possiblity of driving a coffee pot.

Luvamutt

Big Bend
First Name
Julee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been using the Ecoflow River Max for just over a year and really really like it. It can run my Dometic CFX40 cooler for 3 days or so without needing a charge. My favorite thing is how quickly it charges ā€¦ I can get a full charge when plugged in for just a couple of hours. It is also easy to recharge while driving (although it takes more than 2 hrs). I paid $420 for it but have been more than happy!

Ford Bronco Sport Portable Power for camping IMG_1617

SDPark

Badlands
First Name
Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
After a ton of research, I purchased the EcoFlow River for this summerā€™s camping trips. Itā€™s the best price I could find at the time for what I wanted. I can run my Keurig or a coffee maker with this one because it has a sort of burst (x-boost) mode for higher wattage items. Iā€™m not sure if it will run what you need it to, but Iā€™m impressed. I have a solar panel to use for recharging, but I havenā€™t had to use it yet.

EF ECOFLOW RIVER 288Wh Portable Power Station,3 x 600W(Peak 1800W) AC Outlets & LED Flashlight, Fast Charging Silent Solar Generator (Solar Panel Optional) for Emergencies Home Outdoor Camping RV https://a.co/d/iMeJ0Kt

Danielims

Badlands
First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mache- GT
I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to camping gear, so the Bluetti EB3A is my go-to. It's super compact and lightweight, but it still packs enough juice to keep my portable electric coolers running for a weekend. Plus, it charges up fast, so I don't have to worry about being without power for long.

Last edited:

RDS40

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer
After a ton of research, I purchased the EcoFlow River for this summerā€™s camping trips. Itā€™s the best price I could find at the time for what I wanted. I can run my Keurig or a coffee maker with this one because it has a sort of burst (x-boost) mode for higher wattage items. Iā€™m not sure if it will run what you need it to, but Iā€™m impressed. I have a solar panel to use for recharging, but I havenā€™t had to use it yet.

EF ECOFLOW RIVER 288Wh Portable Power Station,3 x 600W(Peak 1800W) AC Outlets & LED Flashlight, Fast Charging Silent Solar Generator (Solar Panel Optional) for Emergencies Home Outdoor Camping RV https://a.co/d/iMeJ0Kt
Loved the idea of running a Kurig but it looks like it won't last more than several cups before dying.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Had a Jackery 300, it didnā€™t handle heat well. Been very happy with my EcoFlow river that replaced it. Better vented, allows you to monitor temps and change fan modes.
Sponsored