Looks like my water pump is leaking, any suggestions on what to do?

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I was at my local dealership to pick up some parts and asked the service department if they knew of any issues with the water pump. She said they hadn't heard of anything (I live in a small town so not too surprising).

I didn't have time to set up an appointment but what do y'all think I should do? My selling dealership is 3 hours away so that's not really an option.

Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Take it to my home town dealership, point them in the right direction on how to fix this, and build a good relationship with them going forward.
  • Call some local dealerships to find one that's aware of this issue and take it to them. I'd prefer keeping it in my home town in case I have to have it serviced in the future.
Does it matter if they're not familiar with the issue since the information should be available at their fingertips?

I did pick up some coolant to keep it topped off so if it's just slowly leaking, I should be good for a while. I'm at a year of ownership and 10,800 miles.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
You are over thinking this. Take it to a local dealer for a warranty repair. Easy fix.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Take it to the local dealership & get it fixed. We bought our Bronco Sport about 1 hour away from us in another state & we take it to the local dealership which is only 10-15 minutes from our house for warranty/service work. We told them the first time we went there we just moved here from out of state if they could service the truck & they said sure, they did not care we did not buy it from them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Good advice all around here. Just remember to tell your local dealership when they change the pump they need to flush the system as well IAW the latest TSB. I believe a pump failure can result in coolant contamination that can destroy the replacement pump. The only way to avoid that is to flush the system, which should remove the contaminants.

Last edited:

Kellykel

Big Bend
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
I was at my local dealership to pick up some parts and asked the service department if they knew of any issues with the water pump. She said they hadn't heard of anything (I live in a small town so not too surprising).

I didn't have time to set up an appointment but what do y'all think I should do? My selling dealership is 3 hours away so that's not really an option.

• Take it to my home town dealership, point them in the right direction on how to fix this, and build a good relationship with them going forward.
  • Call some local dealerships to find one that's aware of this issue and take it to them. I'd prefer keeping it in my home town in case I have to have it serviced in the future.
Does it matter if they're not familiar with the issue since the information should be available at their fingertips?

I did pick up some coolant to keep it topped off so if it's just slowly leaking, I should be good for a while. I'm at a year of ownership and 10,800 miles.

Kellykel

Big Bend
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021

Yup same issue at 40,000 which caused more damage from the coolant all over the engine. Water pump replaced and torn serpentine belt due to coolant replaced. One of eight major issues I have had. Good luck

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Yup same issue at 40,000 which caused more damage from the coolant all over the engine. Water pump replaced and torn serpentine belt due to coolant replaced. One of eight major issues I have had. Good luck
Unfortunately with possibly more to come. You have great patience in keeping the BS.

Kellykel

Big Bend
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
Unfortunately with possibly more to come. You have great patience in keeping the BS.
Trading it in if I can’t get it Lemon Lawed. Dealer can’t even advise saying the car is too new. Okay then take it back. lol But now what do I get? I love the look of the car. 🥲

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
What are the 8 major issues?
1. Transmission mount replaced
2. Turbo Replaced
3. Water pump and serpentine belt replaced

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
A trans mount I do not consider a major issue.
Sponsored