Water pump known issue under warranty no recall

BroncoBearGurl

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thought we had a radiator leak to find out from the dealer that there is a known issue with the BS water pumps. Get yours checked and replaced while under warranty as there is no recall. I own the BS-OB 2021
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
There are a lot of posts about water pumps on the 1.5L on this forum. Quite a few people have had disappearing coolant that leaks so slowly they never see it and rarely smell it. Lots of water pump replacements, some with the old spec pump and some with the new spec.

There will not be a recall until this is proven to be a safety hazard, which probably will never happen. Ford might do a TSB release to the dealer network that has them checking for this sort of thing and replacing the pump when they find an issue. No dealership will replace a water pump under warranty without evidence of it failing because Ford won’t pay them for the part or labor.

Jube

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
Where on the pump is it leaking? (gasket, bearing snout)

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
The dealer just replaced my water pump under warranty on my 2023 Outer Banks with 19,500 miles. I am picking it up today.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I took my 2022 Big Bend in for routine oil and filter change today and was informed that the water pump was leaking through the weep hole. They're replacing it under warranty as I have 24,500 miles on her. The dealer provided me with a loaner vehicle. I have read about this problem on the forum but was still taken by surprise as I never saw dripping on the ground and no overheating. The service advisor told me mine is not the first they've dealt with. Hopefully the replacement pump is not the same one. He believes it is a better one from a different manufacturer.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
Update: pump replaced. Genuine OEM part#HX7Z-8501-B; Replaces part#HX7Z-8501-A. I could not find who the manufacturer is. Having a "B" designation leads me to believe this is an updated and hopefully improved part! They also replaced the serpentine drive belt as it became contaminated with coolant.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Where on the pump is it leaking? (gasket, bearing snout)
Here is one example of the HX7Z-8501-A water pump replaced with a “New” HX7Z-8501-B (or HX7Z-8501-BA) water pump.

On Facebook is the Bronco Sport group “2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Owners” shown at the top of the 1st pic and pics 2, 3, and 4 provide additional information.

To get the full information access the Facebook group and search for the posting.

Also see Post #28 regarding failure of the “New” HX7Z-8501-BA water pump.
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/updated-water-pump-available.8408/page-2

Ford Bronco Sport Water pump known issue under warranty no recall IMG_2213
Ford Bronco Sport Water pump known issue under warranty no recall IMG_2214
Ford Bronco Sport Water pump known issue under warranty no recall IMG_2215

Ford Bronco Sport Water pump known issue under warranty no recall IMG_2217
Sponsored

Last edited: