Outer Banks vs Badlands

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Jeep Gladiator, '99 SLK230
The outer banks can go off-road. I'd bet 99% of badlands use is nothing more harsh than loose gravel, fire roads, or a municipal dirt road...the hype over badlands seems over the top.
For most, true... but for the one I pulled out of the sand (twice) they sure wish they had the locking diff. Nothing worse than having your entire 4wd system defeated by one spinning wheel while your traction control tries to burn down your brake pads. Kind of hated the rubber mats to begin with, but after a few beach trips and skiing love them now! Comes down to right tools for the job you use it for.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
For most, true... but for the one I pulled out of the sand (twice) they sure wish they had the locking diff. Nothing worse than having your entire 4wd system defeated by one spinning wheel while your traction control tries to burn down your brake pads. Kind of hated the rubber mats to begin with, but after a few beach trips and skiing love them now! Comes down to right tools for the job you use it for.
Yes I absolutely agree with that...1% of users. Anyone stating a badlands is a must have no brainer is speaking with bias. Yes it's a great option, I have one, I've yet to remotely test it's abilities. I've been trying to get out but...suburban life gets in my way😂😂

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Can anyone seriously claim the 1.5 feels better than the 2.0?

The 2.0 (Badlands) is superior in terms of performance. I would say that’s objective and not subjective as the facts support it.

The 1.5 has better fuel economy. That’s it.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Yes I absolutely agree with that...1% of users. Anyone stating a badlands is a must have no brainer is speaking with bias. Yes it's a great option, I have one, I've yet to remotely test it's abilities. I've been trying to get out but...suburban life gets in my way😂😂
I think it is a no-brainer IF finances are not a factor. If one can afford it, and you don't care about the decrease in fuel efficiency from the 1.5L, then the Badlands is a no-brainer choice. IF cost is a determining factor, then one must consider the other trims. It really comes down to $$. The other trims are less expensive....period. That is their advantage.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Jeep Gladiator, '99 SLK230
Be careful if you set out to "test abilities." For some reason that always results in finding it's limits - usually in the most embarrassing way possible. Case in point: Burying my Jeep up to the frame even with a lift, lockers, and 37" tires. Don't ask how, LOL! Saved by an old Toyota - double embarrassing!

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Be careful if you set out to "test abilities." For some reason that always results in finding it's limits - usually in the most embarrassing way possible. Case in point: Burying my Jeep up to the frame even with a lift, lockers, and 37" tires. Don't ask how, LOL! Saved by an old Toyota - double embarrassing!
Every winter I see people that test their abilities.

You'd think that after almost 60 years of mustang production people would know that they suck in the snow and ice. But, nope. They still try...

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I'm getting ready to order my new BS. Things that are important to me are: leather seats, body color door handles, 360+, tow hitch (just in case - not hauling anything large). I won't be doing any major off roading, but I may occasionally take it on vacations in the blue ridge mountains or want to drive it on the beach, etc... It will primarily be my daily driver, and I do a decent amount of highway driving. I'm debating between the Outer Banks and Badlands, but it would be significantly more expensive to get a Badlands with the leather seats + body color door handles.

My question is... will I miss the larger engine in the Badlands if I go with the Outer Banks? Or will I just appreciate the better gas mileage in the OB? I can't find one near me to test drive and am mainly concerned about the pick up on highways. Any thoughts or comparisons between the two would be helpful!

We have our O.B. for a year now. Our use is similar to yours. We love it. I find the small engine to perform just fine. No, it is not a hot rod but it does get out of it's own way when needed. It is our daily driver and my wife just loves that car. We have a small farm and use it in soft sand and soft dirt without airing the tires down. I put these tires on it (General Grabber UHP 255 55 R18) and a Rough Country lift kit (1.5"). The tires clear just fine, but there is little extra room. Almost 12,000 miles and trouble free. I did have U-Haul install a 2" receiver on it, for much less than a dealer cost. We pull a small off road trailer with it. I like the idea that our O.B. does not have a soft top, but a full body instead.

Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks vs Badlands Grabber_UHP255-55-R18

Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks vs Badlands CAR3.JPG

jmhpi49

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've had my Outer Banks with the leather and 360 and I'm in North Ga. It's a great runner. No problem passing trucks on the highway and it doesn't seem to mind the mountains either. I have about 8k miles. Getting about 28mpg average.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm getting ready to order my new BS. Things that are important to me are: leather seats, body color door handles, 360+, tow hitch (just in case - not hauling anything large). I won't be doing any major off roading, but I may occasionally take it on vacations in the blue ridge mountains or want to drive it on the beach, etc... It will primarily be my daily driver, and I do a decent amount of highway driving. I'm debating between the Outer Banks and Badlands, but it would be significantly more expensive to get a Badlands with the leather seats + body color door handles.

My question is... will I miss the larger engine in the Badlands if I go with the Outer Banks? Or will I just appreciate the better gas mileage in the OB? I can't find one near me to test drive and am mainly concerned about the pick up on highways. Any thoughts or comparisons between the two would be helpful!
As some others below: My Outer Banks is plenty enough, 200 hp, super agile, better milage. The extra off-road features of the Badlands are really not important, unless that's what you are planning to do. In regards to luxurious features I think the OB beats the Badlands. Get the towing package and you'll have a full size spare.
Totally happy with the OB.

Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks vs Badlands NewBronco-Oct30-2021-1a

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Let's put the 1.5L vs 2.0 L in perspective. Let's look at 0-60 times and Quarter mile times.

https://www.carhp.com/ford/bronco-sport/0to60

0-60 1.5L 9.2 seconds
0-60 2.0L 7.7 seconds
So, 1.5 seconds difference 0-60

1/4 mile 1.5L 16.7 seconds
1/4 mile 2.0L 15.4 seconds
So 1.3 seconds difference in the standing quarter mile.

The difference is almost nothing
Those are the slowest times I've seen.

Car and Driver had 5.9s 0-60 for the Badlands and 8.2s for the Outer Banks.
Motortrend was 6.5 and 8.5s.

The Badlands gets up and moves and for those of use that actually go off-road in challenging areas, it's a little goat!

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Those are the slowest times I've seen.

Car and Driver had 5.9s 0-60 for the Badlands and 8.2s for the Outer Banks.
Motortrend was 6.5 and 8.5s.

The Badlands gets up and moves and for those of use that actually go off-road in challenging areas, it's a little goat!
Yeah - those Car & Driver numbers feel right. I'm not buying 7.7 seconds 0-60 for the Badlands. And either set of numbers is horrible for the 1.5L. It's not about racing - it's about being safe. And a 0-60 time in the 8+ seconds range (or 9+ seconds, if you believe those numbers), is unsafe, in my opinion.

There are lots of scenarios where these numbers would make me very uncomfortable, in the real world.

Yes - I get it. Lots of people are very happy with their 1.5L engines. Everybody has their own decision making and purchasing decisions. But for me, it would be the 2.0L or no BS at all.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The hell with those numbers. What are you ... race drivers? You picked the wrong vehicle. First of all ... no big difference between the two and ... well ...who cares. My OB flies by when passing big trucks on the highway, no difference to my 6 cylinder Escape before. A second more or less to 60 ... who cares. By the way ... 6.8 liters per 100 km (which, translated to stone age, is about 34 - 35 miles p/g) That's pretty good too.
Cheers

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
1.3 seconds is not an insignificant number but one number that gets lost is torque, the 1.5L puts out 181 HP and 190 pound-feet of torque, the 2.0L puts out 250 HP and 277 pound-feet of torque. A lot more low end grunt for off roading. Just to give you some comparisons a 2.3L Bronco engine puts out 300 HP with 325 pound-feet of torque and the 2.7L puts out 330 HP with 410 pound-feet of torque. On the surface you say only 30 more horses for the 2.7L but the extra 85 pound-feet of torque is a big number. JD Power describes the 1.5 as providing adequate performance and good fuel economy which I would agree with, but don't kid yourself into thinking you are going to do any serious off-roading with anything less than a BL. If all you are looking for is a nice looking vehicle to take to the mall, maybe some nice gravel roads or snowy streets in the winter than anything below a BL will work. If you want to do more serious off roading than you better be thinking BL or a big Bronco. It's not a matter of beating our chests or feeling superior, it really does matter how you use the vehicle as bbbronco_in_LBC pointed out, don't think you are going to take a OBX out on the sands of the OBX, you will either get stuck or worse you could damage to the vehicle. Now I know most of you will probably never go off-roading so a OBX or below is a good choice to save $$.
Sponsored