Should this be an insurance claim or under warranty?

• Total voters

Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Two options are being considered. Engine replacement or totaled.

UPDATED with photo and questions/answers:

Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? 20210731_122535

Still to early to tell what the outcome will be. The tow truck operator checked the oil and showed me it was mixed with muddy water. The air filter was completely clean. Towed it to the dealership.
I'm waiting for my BS to come in in a couple weeks, in the meantime, IDK if this helps, but my current RAV4 went thru this when I went thru about 13-14 inches of water - engine died 1/2 way thru the giant puddle and had to be replaced with a similarly aged engine. The damn tail pipe on that Toyota is incredibly low to the ground. My insurance covered it, but there were a lot of issues w that replacement, especially where they didn't use OE like the coils - it took them almost 2 years to work out the kinks of the replacement engine et al. I suggest you insist on genuine Ford parts all the way through if insurance wants to repair it.
Sponsored

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I contacted Ford on Friday and provided all the details. They said I would receive a call from them within 1 business day. It's Wednesday and I haven't heard from anyone at Ford. I called the dealership. They've had the car since July 31st. As of yesterday, August 10th, they still hadn't looked at the car. The muddy water was still sitting in the engine. Although no water flowed into cabin, there was plenty dragged in by getting in and out a few times. The dealership owner said the car stunk. The dealerships excuse is that they are backed up three weeks
This is also similar to what I went through with Ford Customer Service. I called multiple times and was always promised a call back that never came. I unfortunately lost it on one representative when instead of being put on hold or transfered for the Xth time I asked him to call me back. He said, "we aren't allowed to do that." So good luck. I wish I had something helpful to say.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How much off roading were you doing before you got to that water?

Wondering if something could have hit the oil pan, and the water got in that way.
Just in case you didn't see it else in the post. She was actually looking for a house for sale and the GPS took her down this road alongside a golf course. The water was there due to a storm. She was stuck in mud but ended up in the water. This was only 100 yards off a paved road. Still haven't been given any answers.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
this is what she was driving when I first met her.
Ford Bronco Sport Our Bronco Sport either needs engine replacement or may be total loss...and the water barely reached the front bumper. For Parts, For Scrap, For Sale? 20190615_145812
I too
k this photo on an off roading adventure between Sedona and Flagstaff. The road is a lot rougher than what you see here.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Yeah mentioning it barely reached the bumper....that A-post tells a different story all together. Granted I still think this sucks and should manage that kind of off roading based on what they advertise but hoo doggy...that's a mess.
Guess the lesson of the day is if you cant gauge how deep your gonna be going then don't go. See people do this with underpasses and I'm like WTH.....

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Guess the lesson of the day is if you cant gauge how deep your gonna be going then don't go. See people do this with underpasses and I'm like WTH.....
I'm planning on reposting the details again just to make it clear she didn't drive directly into the water. She only entered the water when the car slid sideways into the water while struggling to get out of mud. She drove into an area that was both dry and mud and got stuck. You can see the area of mud in the foreground. I was standing on dry land when I took the photo.

Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I can't figure out why you created the post and listed possible outcomes before actually getting diagnosis from the dealer? Just seems like jumping the gun. I probably would have drained the oil right away if water did actually get into the crankcase and flush engine and replace filter and oil. The longer any water is in the engine the more chance it has of damaging rings,bearings and cylinder walls.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I'm planning on reposting the details again just to make it clear she didn't drive directly into the water. She only entered the water when the car slid sideways into the water while struggling to get out of mud. She drove into an area that was both dry and mud and got stuck. You can see the area of mud in the foreground. I was standing on dry land when I took the photo.
OH Sorry., it didn't look like it was sideways or anything at all like it slid. Just looks like it went right in...my bad.

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
No offense to anyone but the story about the GPS sounds like something you tell the insurance company to get them to pay. We all know what you were doing there.

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
No offense to anyone but the story about the GPS sounds like something you tell the insurance company to get them to pay. We all know what you were doing there.
The tow receipt from Ford Roadside Assistane and a 2nd company shows the exact location: Cosner Rd. A short unpaved (like many in the area) road between an airfield and golf course in Show Low AZ. No water in satellite image. You can see the wood piles that appear in the background of the mud puddle. Not an offroad adventure - and even if it was isn't the car supposed to be able to handle it?

OP
OP

DougMcG

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I can't figure out why you created the post and listed possible outcomes before actually getting diagnosis from the dealer? Just seems like jumping the gun. I probably would have drained the oil right away if water did actually get into the crankcase and flush engine and replace filter and oil. The longer any water is in the engine the more chance it has of damaging rings,bearings and cylinder walls.
The dealer left us in the dark for 10 days. It wasn't until I called the owner of the dealership that I found out that they hadn't even looked at the car. We haven't been able to get a straight answer from amyone; Ford corporate, the dealer, or the insurance company. I told the dealerI it was negligence to allow the car to sit there knowing what the situation was.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The tow receipt from Ford Roadside Assistane and a 2nd company shows the exact location: Cosner Rd. A short unpaved (like many in the area) road between an airfield and golf course in Show Low AZ. No water in satellite image. You can see the wood piles that appear in the background of the mud puddle. Not an offroad adventure - and even if it was isn't the car supposed to be able to handle it?
No matter the circumstances, sucks that the bronco has been down and disabled this long. Admittedly the splash and mud is a mess. Regardless of how why or who...note to all deep muddy water isn't a good outcome. I always said with my 79, yep you know what 4x4 means? Better odds of getting out of the ditch, snow and ice don't care. They are still trucks, and crap still happens. Hope they find a solution for you and the situation works in your favor

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Geez. Sitting so long I hope they at least washed it and drained the oil. Good luck with your Bronco Sport and house hunting.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Might want to find another Dealer , but who knows ,it may be Ford's call & not the Dealers, to let it sit till they figure it out , or it drys out & starts . That would be even more troubling to me .
I would demand answers or get some legal advice .
Sponsored